bruiser 2 update

CVPIbear

Jul 31, 2013
Hello all, New guy here. I am in the process of stripping and updating a Trek bruiser 2. Im combing through and updating the whole bike. The definites so far are:
-Shimano Saint 4 piston rear brake
-Shimano xt 2 piston front brake
-jagwire white brake hose
-alexrims dh24 white rims with rl hibs

I am going to change the drive train on the bike as well, for xc/freeride. I love in the boonies of connecticut and want to be able to go uphill as well as down, I was thinking about changing out the crank, and the rear cassette as well, I was told i can go 27 speed, but im gonna be that guy and ask, can i fit a 10 speed casette on the rear?

also, as for derailleurs,im looking for a nice clean crisp smooth shift, also, quick. i was looking at the slx shadow from shimano, anyone had this? is it good?

a remote block for the front suspension is handy when you want both uphill and downhill capabilities

With a 22-32 crank according to bikepedia you should have plenty of uphill capability already.
But if you want to be able to travel on the flat you'd need another crank.
You're not telling what your current shifters are. The Bruiser 2 on bikepedia is 8-speed, so if you want to move away from that you'd need new shifter(s). Doesn't matter if you go for 3x9 or 2x10, you still need new shifters.

Personally I'm not too fond of 10-speed, they wear faster and are more finicky to tune/keep tuned. 3x9 is a good compromise between range, ratios and ruggedness.

Pretty much anything from shimano above the non-series components will give excellent service as long as it's reasonably well tuned, clean, and lubed.

Reactions: CVPIbear
Thank you dabac. The reason I haven't said shifters is because im debating on a 3x9 or a 3x10. Im thinking slx shifters as well but if I go 10 speed im doing xt.