bruising of vein after blood test

henk van der knaap

Guest
Hi there,

I am on warfarin (coumadin) and I need frequent blood tests to ascertain
my INR level.

A week ago I had a blood test, however this week I developed extensive
bruising and discolouring all along my vein into my armpit on the right
hand side. Also my arm is slightly painful. I wonder whether it is ominous
or can be safely ignored.

I would very much like to know if other people have had a similar
experience.

Many thanks,

henk

New Zealand

--

Powered by NetBSD 2.0

"henk van der knaap" <unixisbest@***.ttt.zzz.yyyyyy.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi there,
>
> I am on warfarin (coumadin) and I need frequent blood tests to ascertain
> my INR level.
>
> A week ago I had a blood test, however this week I developed extensive
> bruising and discolouring all along my vein into my armpit on the right
> hand side. Also my arm is slightly painful. I wonder whether it is ominous
> or can be safely ignored.
>
> I would very much like to know if other people have had a similar
> experience.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> henk
>
> New Zealand
>
> --

I've had several black and blue marks - mostly circular, maybe up to 1 1/2" in
diameter. But I'm not on coumadin. Why don't you call the people who did the
test, if you are concerned.

Bill

> Powered by NetBSD 2.0

I also am on Coumadin, but have never had a bruise from blood-drawing
greater than an inch in diameter. In your place, I would see a doctor
IMMEDIATELY. Maybe there is an infection, and that could be serious.

henk van der knaap (unixisbest@***.ttt.zzz.yyyyyy.co.uk) wrote:
: Hi there,
:
: I am on warfarin (coumadin) and I need frequent blood tests to ascertain
: my INR level.
:
: A week ago I had a blood test, however this week I developed extensive
: bruising and discolouring all along my vein into my armpit on the right
: hand side. Also my arm is slightly painful. I wonder whether it is ominous
: or can be safely ignored.
:
: I would very much like to know if other people have had a similar
: experience.
:
: Many thanks,
:
: henk
:
: New Zealand
:
: --
:
: Powered by NetBSD 2.0
:
:

If the person drawing the sample did not puncture the back side of the
vein holding the draw site tightly for a short time will allow the
puncture to seal and my bruses are almost always smaller than 1/2 in.
diameter.

henk van der knaap wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am on warfarin (coumadin) and I need frequent blood tests to ascertain
> my INR level.
>
> A week ago I had a blood test, however this week I developed extensive
> bruising and discolouring all along my vein into my armpit on the right
> hand side. Also my arm is slightly painful. I wonder whether it is ominous
> or can be safely ignored.

Your INR may be too high.

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

On 2003-11-17, Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD <[email protected]> wrote:
> henk van der knaap wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I am on warfarin (coumadin) and I need frequent blood tests to ascertain
>> my INR level.
>>
>> A week ago I had a blood test, however this week I developed extensive
>> bruising and discolouring all along my vein into my armpit on the right
>> hand side. Also my arm is slightly painful. I wonder whether it is ominous
>> or can be safely ignored.
>>

> Your INR may be too high.
>
> --
> Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
> Board-Certified Cardiologist
> http://www.heartmdphd.com/

Thank you.

My INR was 2.2 However I had developed an infection. This is the third
time. I must say that my vein is now badly scarred!!

Henk

--

Henk van der Knaap,
New Zealand