Brunch follow-uo

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dimitri, Aug 30, 2005.

  1. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    Thought about preparing some of the stuff on Saturday night - Nah - I went to
    bed after shopping in 100+ degree weather.

    Sunday about 4:30 poured down some coffee and stated dicing fruit for the fruit
    salad/cups.

    Used:
    1. Orange flesh Honeydew
    4 Plumbs
    4 Apples
    6 Oranges (sectioned)
    1 1/2 lbs Strawberries
    1 Pinch salt
    1/3 cup Medium Dry Sherry.

    For the Torta Rustica

    Sliced 4 Red Onions Sautéed in Butter
    20 Oz Sliced Mushrooms Sautéed in butter with the Juice of 1 lemon + zest
    32 Oz chopped spinach sautéed and drained mixed w/ 2 eggs & a dash of nutmeg
    1 Very large Ricotta cheese + 2 eggs + /13 cup fresh imported Parmesano
    Regiano & some Oregano
    1 1/2 pounds of Zucchini (sliced on the mandoline about 3/8" salted and drained
    in a colander Then rinsed & zapped in the nuker pressed between 2 plates on
    paper towels.
    2 Jars TJ's fire roasted red bell peppers
    Molinari Salami
    Slicing Pepperoni
    Aged Provolone cheese
    1 Recipe Bread dough ( about 3 1/2 cups flour + salt, sugar& water)

    After the dough rose rolled out and filled a springform pan.

    The layers:
    Pepperoni
    Zucchini
    Salami
    Spinach
    Provolone
    Pepperoni
    Ricotta
    Fire Roasted red bell peppers
    Salami
    Pepperoni

    Folded over the top leaving a 1 1/2 inch hole in the top with triangles covered
    with a thick slice of tomato.

    Threw it into the oven on a cookie sheet @ 350 degrees about 45 minutes -
    rotated 1/2 way through the cooking to even the bread 9 the back side of my oven
    tends to get a little hot.

    Crap - completely forget the Onions and shrooms - OK added it to the Baked
    Ortega casserole. That worked too. Just increased the eggs

    Chile Relleno Casserole
    1 ½ lbs. Monterey Jack Cheese (Grated)
    1 ½ lbs. Cheddar Cheese (Grated)
    2 large cans Whole Ortega Chiles
    12 Eggs (Separated)
    6 Tbsp. Flour
    1 Cup Evaporated Milk

    Spray bottom of baking pans with PAM to prevent sticking problems for cheese

    1. Pull apart chiles into strips and layer half into bottom of two 9 x 13
    pans and cover with half the cheese. Repeat with other half of chiles and
    cheese.
    2. Beat egg whites with a fork until frothy.
    3. Beat egg yolks with flour and milk, then add to egg whites.
    4. Pour evenly over cheese and chiles.
    5. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until light golden brown on top.

    Made 2 9 X 13 inch pans by increasing the eggs ( used 50.50 mix of Jack and
    pepper Jack and a 50/50 mix of yellow sharp cheddar & Dubliner (Irish cheddar) I
    like chilies so I used 3 cans

    Made a Mixed baby greens salad with a home made red wine vinegar + red wine +
    EVOO vinaigrette

    Toasted fresh Onion or Blueberry bagels - cream cheese & butter.

    Followed by a Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream cake. & Coffee (optional Bailey's)

    About 11AM all were there greeted by a Mimosa followed by a buffet service and a
    formal table setting.

    A good time was had by all.

    4:00 PM collapsed!

    The one problem with the torta is the egg in the spinach and ricotta caused the
    mixture to rise and then fall a little. Next time I'll make some adjustments.

    Dimitri

    Tags:

  2. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Dimitri wrote:

> [...]
    > 5. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until light golden brown on
    > top.
    >
    > Made 2 9 X 13 inch pans by increasing the eggs ( used 50.50 mix of
    > Jack and pepper Jack and a 50/50 mix of yellow sharp cheddar &
    > Dubliner (Irish cheddar) I like chilies so I used 3 cans
    >
    > Made a Mixed baby greens salad with a home made red wine vinegar + red
    > wine + EVOO vinaigrette
    >
    > Toasted fresh Onion or Blueberry bagels - cream cheese & butter.
    >
    > Followed by a Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream cake. & Coffee (optional
    > Bailey's)
    >
    > About 11AM all were there greeted by a Mimosa followed by a buffet
    > service and a formal table setting.
    >
    > A good time was had by all.
    >
    > 4:00 PM collapsed!
    >
    > The one problem with the torta is the egg in the spinach and ricotta
    > caused the mixture to rise and then fall a little. Next time I'll

    Dimitri,

    Good grief! Gardeners have green thumbs, whatever chefs have, you got it
    in spades!

    --
    Andy
    http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h

  3. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Andy" <Q> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Dimitri wrote:

    <snip>

    > Dimitri,
    >
    > Good grief! Gardeners have green thumbs, whatever chefs have, you got it
    > in spades!
    >
    > --
    > Andy
    > http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h