Brunch Sunday

Michel Boucher

Guest
I'm having a friend over who is celebrating 32 years of work on Sunday.
I've devised the following menu:

- Simple egg omelette with goat's milk cheese and tomato or basil pesto stuffing (I have yet to
decide on which pesto to use)

- Pork sausages for some, lamb merguez for others (like me), both from a local butcher

- Toasted organic wheat bagels with a fruit jam sweetened with juice

- Dark coffee (Mexican blend, Bridgehead fair trade coffee)

I've been debating whether or not to have a salad (my friend is a big eater). It would be a sort of
lettuce (as yet undefined) with pecan slivers and a drizzle of EV olive oil and homemade tarragon
vinegar, but I'm not sure if that's too much. Perhaps something smaller. Or, a baked apple for
dessert :)

--

"I'm the master of low expectations."

GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003

Michel Boucher <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
news:[email protected]:

> I'm having a friend over who is celebrating 32 years of work on Sunday. I've devised the
> following menu:
>
> - Simple egg omelette with goat's milk cheese and tomato or basil pesto stuffing (I have yet to
> decide on which pesto to use)
>
> - Pork sausages for some, lamb merguez for others (like me), both from a local butcher
>
> - Toasted organic wheat bagels with a fruit jam sweetened with juice
>
> - Dark coffee (Mexican blend, Bridgehead fair trade coffee)
>
> I've been debating whether or not to have a salad (my friend is a big eater). It would be a sort
> of lettuce (as yet undefined) with pecan slivers and a drizzle of EV olive oil and homemade
> tarragon vinegar, but I'm not sure if that's too much. Perhaps something smaller. Or, a baked
> apple for dessert :)

Sounds wonderful. Why not put out a large fruit bowl. Your friend can nibble on it before, during
and after the brunch.

Michael

--
"Most of all he liked grilled mutton kidneys which gave to his palate a fine tang of scented
urine." ~~James Joyce, Irish writer (1882-1941)

Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Michel Boucher <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> I'm having a friend over who is celebrating 32 years of work on Sunday. I've devised the
>> following menu:
>>
>> - Simple egg omelette with goat's milk cheese and tomato or basil pesto stuffing (I have yet to
>> decide on which pesto to use)
>>
>> - Pork sausages for some, lamb merguez for others (like me), both from a local butcher
>>
>> - Toasted organic wheat bagels with a fruit jam sweetened with juice
>>
>> - Dark coffee (Mexican blend, Bridgehead fair trade coffee)
>>
>> I've been debating whether or not to have a salad (my friend is a big eater). It would be a sort
>> of lettuce (as yet undefined) with pecan slivers and a drizzle of EV olive oil and homemade
>> tarragon vinegar, but I'm not sure if that's too much. Perhaps something smaller. Or, a baked
>> apple for dessert :)
>
> Sounds wonderful. Why not put out a large fruit bowl. Your friend can nibble on it before, during
> and after the brunch.

He's bringing fruit so that's taken care of. I've thought since about cornbread instead of toast.

--

"I'm the master of low expectations."

GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003

>From: Michel Boucher

>- Simple egg omelette with goat's milk cheese and tomato or basil pesto stuffing (I have yet to
> decide on which pesto to use)
>
>- Pork sausages for some, lamb merguez for others (like me), both from a local butcher
>
>- Toasted organic wheat bagels with a fruit jam sweetened with juice
>
>- Dark coffee (Mexican blend, Bridgehead fair trade coffee)
>
>I've been debating whether or not to have a salad (my friend is a big eater). It would be a sort of
>lettuce (as yet undefined) with pecan slivers and a drizzle of EV olive oil and homemade tarragon
>vinegar, but I'm not sure if that's too much. Perhaps something smaller. Or, a baked apple for
>dessert :)

Your menu sounds lovely.

The omelettes are a wonderful idea, tho I would most likely opt for herbed goat cheese with a fresh
tomato concasse gently warmed and served on the side. The sausages sound divine. I don't know why
but I'm thinking something creamy and mustardy to go with....perhaps grilling the sausages, slicing
them and presenting with a pool of mustard cream sauce?

Dark greens are screaming at me here...perhaps instead of a salad, some lightly sautee'd baby
spinach in EV olive oil combined with quickly seared mushroom slices with your toasted pecans (tho I
would use pine nuts) sprinkled into the saute at the last minute.

I'm one of those "eat bites with everything on the plate" type people. so I see taking a piece of
sausage with the mustard cream sauce and a bite of spinach. Oooo...the omelette would taste good
with all of it. Yikes, I'm making myself hungry.

I love the idea of the baked apples. Maybe spiced with cardamom, nutmeg and a little Cointreau?
Served with a dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream and a crisp buttery cookie or two.

Whatever you decide, I think what you are doing is great. We are making brunch on Sunday for a dear
friend who is celebrating her 81st birthday.

Ellen