Brunch Sunday

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Michel Boucher, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. I'm having a friend over who is celebrating 32 years of work on Sunday.
    I've devised the following menu:

    - Simple egg omelette with goat's milk cheese and tomato or basil pesto stuffing (I have yet to
    decide on which pesto to use)

    - Pork sausages for some, lamb merguez for others (like me), both from a local butcher

    - Toasted organic wheat bagels with a fruit jam sweetened with juice

    - Dark coffee (Mexican blend, Bridgehead fair trade coffee)

    I've been debating whether or not to have a salad (my friend is a big eater). It would be a sort of
    lettuce (as yet undefined) with pecan slivers and a drizzle of EV olive oil and homemade tarragon
    vinegar, but I'm not sure if that's too much. Perhaps something smaller. Or, a baked apple for
    dessert :)

    --

    "I'm the master of low expectations."

    GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003

    Tags:

  2. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    Michel Boucher <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I'm having a friend over who is celebrating 32 years of work on Sunday. I've devised the
    > following menu:
    >
    > - Simple egg omelette with goat's milk cheese and tomato or basil pesto stuffing (I have yet to
    > decide on which pesto to use)
    >
    > - Pork sausages for some, lamb merguez for others (like me), both from a local butcher
    >
    > - Toasted organic wheat bagels with a fruit jam sweetened with juice
    >
    > - Dark coffee (Mexican blend, Bridgehead fair trade coffee)
    >
    > I've been debating whether or not to have a salad (my friend is a big eater). It would be a sort
    > of lettuce (as yet undefined) with pecan slivers and a drizzle of EV olive oil and homemade
    > tarragon vinegar, but I'm not sure if that's too much. Perhaps something smaller. Or, a baked
    > apple for dessert :)

    Sounds wonderful. Why not put out a large fruit bowl. Your friend can nibble on it before, during
    and after the brunch.

    Michael

    --
    "Most of all he liked grilled mutton kidneys which gave to his palate a fine tang of scented
    urine." ~~James Joyce, Irish writer (1882-1941)

  3. Dog3 <[email protected];not> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Michel Boucher <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> I'm having a friend over who is celebrating 32 years of work on Sunday. I've devised the
    >> following menu:
    >>
    >> - Simple egg omelette with goat's milk cheese and tomato or basil pesto stuffing (I have yet to
    >> decide on which pesto to use)
    >>
    >> - Pork sausages for some, lamb merguez for others (like me), both from a local butcher
    >>
    >> - Toasted organic wheat bagels with a fruit jam sweetened with juice
    >>
    >> - Dark coffee (Mexican blend, Bridgehead fair trade coffee)
    >>
    >> I've been debating whether or not to have a salad (my friend is a big eater). It would be a sort
    >> of lettuce (as yet undefined) with pecan slivers and a drizzle of EV olive oil and homemade
    >> tarragon vinegar, but I'm not sure if that's too much. Perhaps something smaller. Or, a baked
    >> apple for dessert :)
    >
    > Sounds wonderful. Why not put out a large fruit bowl. Your friend can nibble on it before, during
    > and after the brunch.

    He's bringing fruit so that's taken care of. I've thought since about cornbread instead of toast.

    --

    "I'm the master of low expectations."

    GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003

  4. Sportkite1

    Sportkite1 Guest

    >From: Michel Boucher

    >- Simple egg omelette with goat's milk cheese and tomato or basil pesto stuffing (I have yet to
    > decide on which pesto to use)
    >
    >- Pork sausages for some, lamb merguez for others (like me), both from a local butcher
    >
    >- Toasted organic wheat bagels with a fruit jam sweetened with juice
    >
    >- Dark coffee (Mexican blend, Bridgehead fair trade coffee)
    >
    >I've been debating whether or not to have a salad (my friend is a big eater). It would be a sort of
    >lettuce (as yet undefined) with pecan slivers and a drizzle of EV olive oil and homemade tarragon
    >vinegar, but I'm not sure if that's too much. Perhaps something smaller. Or, a baked apple for
    >dessert :)

    Your menu sounds lovely.

    The omelettes are a wonderful idea, tho I would most likely opt for herbed goat cheese with a fresh
    tomato concasse gently warmed and served on the side. The sausages sound divine. I don't know why
    but I'm thinking something creamy and mustardy to go with....perhaps grilling the sausages, slicing
    them and presenting with a pool of mustard cream sauce?

    Dark greens are screaming at me here...perhaps instead of a salad, some lightly sautee'd baby
    spinach in EV olive oil combined with quickly seared mushroom slices with your toasted pecans (tho I
    would use pine nuts) sprinkled into the saute at the last minute.

    I'm one of those "eat bites with everything on the plate" type people. so I see taking a piece of
    sausage with the mustard cream sauce and a bite of spinach. Oooo...the omelette would taste good
    with all of it. Yikes, I'm making myself hungry.

    I love the idea of the baked apples. Maybe spiced with cardamom, nutmeg and a little Cointreau?
    Served with a dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream and a crisp buttery cookie or two.

    Whatever you decide, I think what you are doing is great. We are making brunch on Sunday for a dear
    friend who is celebrating her 81st birthday.

    Ellen