Brussel Sprouts

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by SequoiaGiganti, Feb 10, 2005.

  1. Hi again, how are you all doing?

    In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
    to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
    sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
    of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
    handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
    salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
    I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

    Tags:

  2. On Thu 10 Feb 2005 05:28:31a, SequoiaGiganti wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > Hi again, how are you all doing?
    >
    > In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
    > to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
    > sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
    > of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
    > handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
    > salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
    > I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

    Slice in half. Toss in olive oil, herbs, Kosher salt, and crack pepper.
    Roast until lightly browned.

    Wayne

  3. "SequoiaGiganti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi again, how are you all doing?
    >
    > In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
    > to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
    > sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
    > of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
    > handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
    > salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
    > I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

    Clean and slice in half. Steam with a little beer in a covered pan. Uncover
    and let the brussel sprouts brown in the pan, stirring to brown evenly.
    Remove from heat, toss with carraway seeds, salt, and a little lemon juice.

  4. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Thu 10 Feb 2005 05:28:31a, SequoiaGiganti wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >
    >> Hi again, how are you all doing?
    >>
    >> In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
    >> to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
    >> sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
    >> of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
    >> handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
    >> salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
    >> I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

    > Slice in half. Toss in olive oil, herbs, Kosher salt, and crack pepper.
    > Roast until lightly browned.
    >
    > Wayne

    =================

    Wwaaayyyynnnneeeee.... you *forgot* the garlic!!! Rosemary and garlic are
    AMAZING on brussel sprouts! Another way we like them are with onion, fresh
    lemon juice with a little bit of lemon zest and fresh dill weed!

    Cyndi

  5. Beaker

    Beaker Guest

    On 10 Feb 2005 04:28:31 -0800, SequoiaGiganti quoth:

    > I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
    > salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
    > I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

    Why saute? And in butter?? The less preparation they get, the crisper
    they'll be and the better they'll taste. Heh, just steam a little and
    sprinkle on some olive oil, balsamic vinegar and/or pepper. Steam some
    broccoli or carrot spears as well. Anything more than that and you
    have to wait too long to eat them. :)

    bkr

  6. Steve Calvin

    Steve Calvin Guest

    Beaker wrote:
    > On 10 Feb 2005 04:28:31 -0800, SequoiaGiganti quoth:
    >
    >> I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
    >>salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
    >>I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

    > Why saute? And in butter?? The less preparation they get, the crisper
    > they'll be and the better they'll taste. Heh, just steam a little and
    > sprinkle on some olive oil, balsamic vinegar and/or pepper. Steam some
    > broccoli or carrot spears as well. Anything more than that and you
    > have to wait too long to eat them. :)
    >
    > bkr

    Yup, the vinegar is a nice change. You can have white, balsamic, cider,
    malt, etc .... whatever ya like.

    --
    Steve

    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
    Autograph your work with excellence.

  7. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "SequoiaGiganti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi again, how are you all doing?
    >
    > In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
    > to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
    > sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
    > of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
    > handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
    > salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
    > I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

    Cut in half and steam till crisp

    (blanch and shock the whole bag.)

    Reheat or sauté in:

    Burnt butter
    or

    Butter/olive oil and lemon juice

    They are also nice cut into quarters and tossed in a salad dressing and
    served on top, of a salad.

    Dimitri

    Dimitri

  8. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    SequoiaGiganti wrote:
    > Hi again, how are you all doing?
    >
    > In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
    > to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
    > sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big
    > bag of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
    > handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
    > salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
    > I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

    Not exactly "low fat" but they are great when cut in half, very lightly
    steamed, placed in a small baking dish. Pour a medium white sauce over the
    top, sprinkle with seasoned bread crumbs and bake about 30-35 minutes. You
    could also sprinkle over some grated Parmesan with the bread crumbs.

    Jill

  9. Lena B Katz

    Lena B Katz Guest

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, jmcquown wrote:

    > SequoiaGiganti wrote:
    >> Hi again, how are you all doing?
    >>
    >> In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
    >> to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
    >> sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big
    >> bag of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
    >> handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
    >> salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
    >> I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

    > Not exactly "low fat" but they are great when cut in half, very lightly
    > steamed, placed in a small baking dish. Pour a medium white sauce over the
    > top, sprinkle with seasoned bread crumbs and bake about 30-35 minutes. You
    > could also sprinkle over some grated Parmesan with the bread crumbs.

    Eating brussel sprouts is not healthy. (35 calories in 100g? come on!) It
    is merely a device to fool your
    body into believing that you've been fed (an appetite suppressant, in
    other words).

    Lena

  10. Pierre

    Pierre Guest

    If you have one of those ceramic garlic/potato/chestnut roasters, put
    the brussels sprouts in it; spray on some olive oil, S/P, and sprinkle
    on some of your favorite herb. (or 2nd favorite herb.)

    Cover and roast until done to the way you like your veggies.

    Pierre

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > SequoiaGiganti wrote:
    > > Hi again, how are you all doing?
    > >
    > > In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
    > > to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
    > > sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big
    > > bag of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
    > > handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
    > > salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
    > > I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

    > Not exactly "low fat" but they are great when cut in half, very lightly
    > steamed, placed in a small baking dish. Pour a medium white sauce over the
    > top, sprinkle with seasoned bread crumbs and bake about 30-35 minutes. You
    > could also sprinkle over some grated Parmesan with the bread crumbs.
    >
    > Jill

    Try roasting them. Cut in half. Toss with a little olive oil and salt
    and roast at 450 until edges are golden.

    marcella

  12. Michael Odom

    Michael Odom Guest

    On 10 Feb 2005 04:28:31 -0800, "SequoiaGiganti" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hi again, how are you all doing?
    >
    >In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
    >to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
    >sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
    >of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
    >handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
    >salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
    >I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

    I toss trimmed B sprouts with olive oil and Dijon mustard and roast
    them in a 375F oven till they're somewhat browned on the outside and
    lightly done on the inside.

    You can also grill them if you have a grill topper.

    modom

    "Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
    -- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

  13. On 10 Feb 2005 04:28:31 -0800, "SequoiaGiganti" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hi again, how are you all doing?
    >
    >In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
    >to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
    >sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
    >of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
    >handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
    >salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
    >I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

    Pan roasted with smoked bacon. Bad Bad Bad YUMMY

    Rodney Myrvaagnes Opinionated old geezer

    Brutal dictators are routinely reelected by 90+%
    margins. Only in a truly advanced democracy can
    one win an election by a negative 600,000 votes.

  14. On Thu 10 Feb 2005 06:39:54a, Rick & Cyndi wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> On Thu 10 Feb 2005 05:28:31a, SequoiaGiganti wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >>
    >>> Hi again, how are you all doing?
    >>>
    >>> In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
    >>> to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
    >>> sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big
    >>> bag of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
    >>> handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
    >>> salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
    >>> I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

    >> Slice in half. Toss in olive oil, herbs, Kosher salt, and crack
    >> pepper. Roast until lightly browned.
    >>
    >> Wayne

    > =================
    >
    > Wwaaayyyynnnneeeee.... you *forgot* the garlic!!! Rosemary and garlic
    > are AMAZING on brussel sprouts! Another way we like them are with
    > onion, fresh lemon juice with a little bit of lemon zest and fresh dill
    > weed!
    >
    > Cyndi

    Yep, I did forget, but I always use it.

    Wayne

  15. On Thu 10 Feb 2005 07:32:39a, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > "Rick & Cyndi" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >

    >> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> On Thu 10 Feb 2005 05:28:31a, SequoiaGiganti wrote in
    >>> rec.food.cooking:

    >>> Slice in half. Toss in olive oil, herbs, Kosher salt, and crack
    >>> pepper. Roast until lightly browned.
    >>>
    >>> Wayne

    >> =================
    >>
    >> Wwaaayyyynnnneeeee.... you *forgot* the garlic!!! Rosemary and garlic
    >> are AMAZING on brussel sprouts! Another way we like them are with
    >> onion, fresh lemon juice with a little bit of lemon zest and fresh
    >> dill weed!
    >>
    >> Cyndi

    > Thanks Cyndi. I was just about to give Wayne hell over the garlic ;)
    >
    > Michael

    LOL, can't live without garlic!

    Wayne

  16. Sylvia Rocha

    Sylvia Rocha Guest

    staples not stables

  17. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Sylvia Rocha wrote:
    > staples not stables

    Great. We have yet another poster who not only can't quote part of what
    she's replying to so anyone has a reference, she doesn't even reply to the
    original poster who typed "stables". So, typo/spelling police as well.
    (HUGE SIGH)

    Jill

  18. "Lena B Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]

    > On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, jmcquown wrote:
    >
    >> SequoiaGiganti wrote:
    >>> Hi again, how are you all doing?
    >>>
    >>> In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
    >>> to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
    >>> sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big
    >>> bag of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
    >>> handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
    >>> salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
    >>> I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

    >> Not exactly "low fat" but they are great when cut in half, very lightly
    >> steamed, placed in a small baking dish. Pour a medium white sauce over
    >> the
    >> top, sprinkle with seasoned bread crumbs and bake about 30-35 minutes.
    >> You
    >> could also sprinkle over some grated Parmesan with the bread crumbs.

    > Eating brussel sprouts is not healthy. (35 calories in 100g? come on!) It
    > is merely a device to fool your body into believing that you've been fed
    > (an appetite suppressant, in other words).

    Eating brussel sprouts IS healthy. They're high in indoles (the same cancer
    fighting compount found in other cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower and
    broccoli) and vitamin C. They are also good sources of potassium, folate,
    vitamin K, and beta-carotine. One cup of cooked brussel sprouts contains: 61
    calories (31% of the calories come from protein), 0.8g total fat (0.4g
    saturated fat), 4.1 g fiber, 4 g protein, 14 carbs, and 0 cholesterol.

  19. Kswck

    Kswck Guest

    "SequoiaGiganti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi again, how are you all doing?
    >
    > In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
    > to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
    > sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
    > of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
    > handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
    > salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
    > I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Vegetables: Brussels Sprouts Braised With Vinegar & Dill

    Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Vegetables

    3 pounds Brussel Sprouts
    1/4 cup chopped freseh dill
    2 tablespoons wine vinegar
    fresh ground black peper

    Trim sprouts. In a large pot of boiling water, cook sprouts about 8 minutes
    or until barely tender.
    Drain, refresh under cold running water and drain agin.

    In well-greased 13x9 inch casserole, combine sprouts, dill, vinegar and salt
    & pepper to taste; mix well.

    Bake, covered in 350deg oven for 10 minutes. Uncover and bake 5 minutes
    more.

  20. Kswck

    Kswck Guest

    "SequoiaGiganti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi again, how are you all doing?
    >
    > In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
    > to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
    > sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
    > of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
    > handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
    > salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
    > I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Vegetables: Brussels Sprouts And Onions With Dill

    Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Vegetables

    1 1/2 tblsp oil
    6 small white onions, about 1 inch in diameter --
    peeled & quartered
    12 Brussels sprouts, trimmed -- quartered lengthwise
    1/4 cup water
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon minced fresh dill & 2 sprigs for garnish

    In a heavy 10 inch skillet, heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but
    not smoking and saute onions and Brussel sprouts, stirring until onions
    begin to turn golden, about 1 1/2 minutes.

    Add water, sugar and salt & pepper to taste and cook, covered, over
    moderately low heat until veggies are just tender, about 3 minutes. If any
    liquid remains, boil mixture until nearly all liquid is evaporated and stir
    in minced dill.

    Garnish with dill sprigs.