Brussel Sprouts

"SequoiaGiganti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi again, how are you all doing?
>
> In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
> to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
> sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
> of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
> handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
> salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
> I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Vegetables: Brussels Sprouts With Bacon

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

4 slices thick cut bacon
1 medium onion -- sliced in strips
1/2 teaspoon garlic -- minced
1 pound brussels sprouts -- quartered

Cut bacon to 1/4-1/2" strips. Place bacon & minced garlic in fry pan and fry
until bacon is done.

Add onion and saute for a couple of minutes. Add sprouts; cook on med/low
heat, add some butter cut into patties and stir to coat.

Cover and cook about 5 minutes, stir. Repeat until sprouts are just done.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"SequoiaGiganti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi again, how are you all doing?
>
> In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
> to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
> sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
> of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
> handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
> salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
> I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

The best way to buy Brussels Sprouts is to buy a stalk. They are about 24-30
inches long-assuming the leaves have been trimmed off them and should have
30 or so sprouts on each plant. Twist them to get them off the stalk. You
want to look for smaller sprouts than larger ones, they are sweeter. Then
trim and pull off any yellow leaves.
Some farmers markets sell them already pulled from the stalk.
I posted 3 recipes involving the sprouts, I have others if you want them.
Growing season, at least on Long Island, is late. They are available the
most starting on late October on. They are a winter veggie.
They are relatively versatile in that they can be boiled, braised, pan
fried, steamed, etc.

These may help as well.

http://www.mrs.umn.edu/pyg/tips/vegetables/tip_905.shtml

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/veggies/brusselssprouts1.html

Kswck wrote:

> The best way to buy Brussels Sprouts is to buy a stalk. They are about 24-30
> inches long-assuming the leaves have been trimmed off them and should have
> 30 or so sprouts on each plant. Twist them to get them off the stalk. You
> want to look for smaller sprouts than larger ones, they are sweeter. Then
> trim and pull off any yellow leaves.

We have been buying the small frozen Brussels sprouts and just boiling them
until they still have a bit of crunch to them. They're not bad, much better than
I expected from a frozen product.

"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Kswck wrote:
>

>> The best way to buy Brussels Sprouts is to buy a stalk. They are about
>> 24-30
>> inches long-assuming the leaves have been trimmed off them and should
>> have
>> 30 or so sprouts on each plant. Twist them to get them off the stalk. You
>> want to look for smaller sprouts than larger ones, they are sweeter. Then
>> trim and pull off any yellow leaves.

> We have been buying the small frozen Brussels sprouts and just boiling
> them
> until they still have a bit of crunch to them. They're not bad, much
> better than
> I expected from a frozen product.

They do freeze well.

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:16:44 -0800, [email protected] (Sylvia Rocha)
wrote:

>staples not stables

He's from Denmark. I think he's doing well.

Carol

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 12:47:27 -0600, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Sylvia Rocha wrote:
>> staples not stables

>Great. We have yet another poster who not only can't quote part of what
>she's replying to so anyone has a reference, she doesn't even reply to the
>original poster who typed "stables". So, typo/spelling police as well.
>(HUGE SIGH)

That's okay. She's gonna be surrounded by a spinach-green cloud for hours,
and won't be able to post.

Carol

"SequoiaGiganti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi again, how are you all doing?
>
> In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
> to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
> sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
> of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
> handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
> salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
> I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

Parboil 'em and then saute in butter and olive oil seasoned with s/p and a
touch of nutmeg.

Mary

On 10 Feb 2005 04:28:31 -0800, "SequoiaGiganti" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hi again, how are you all doing?
>
>In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
>to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
>sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
>of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
>handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
>salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
>I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

I cut them in half, the slice finely - a chiffonade - and saute them
in butter with pine nuts.

Boron

Kswck wrote:
> "SequoiaGiganti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Hi again, how are you all doing?
>>
>>In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am trying
>>to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as brussel
>>sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want a big bag
>>of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple of
>>handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and sautee in
>>salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though.
>>I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare them.
>>

> *

Simmer in half and half or heavy cream, with a nice pop of freshly
ground nutmeg, until done. A bit of salt on top as needed.

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:08:28 -0500, Boron Elgar <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I cut them in half, the slice finely - a chiffonade - and saute them
>in butter with pine nuts.

Wow. That sounds good! I've never cooked brussels sprouts, but I surely
intend to try this!

Carol

On 10 Feb 2005 04:28:31 -0800, "SequoiaGiganti" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi again, how are you all doing?

Hiya, Michael! I *did* receive your e-mail (you look great with a beard).
I'll try to actually respond to it in the next couple of days.

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually going to cook brussels sprouts
because of this thread. See how you lead me astray?

Carol

"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 10 Feb 2005 04:28:31 -0800, "SequoiaGiganti" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi again, how are you all doing?

> Hiya, Michael! I *did* receive your e-mail (you look great with a beard).
> I'll try to actually respond to it in the next couple of days.
>
> Never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually going to cook brussels
> sprouts
> because of this thread. See how you lead me astray?
>
> Carol
> ==============

Okay, so what's the deal Dams... everyone sends you pictures of themselves!!

Cyndi

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 23:57:40 GMT, "Rick & Cyndi" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Okay, so what's the deal Dams... everyone sends you pictures of themselves!!

Well, none of them are nude ... what's the problem? LOL!

Carol, secretly forwarding a copy of Archon's picture to Cyndi ... shhhhh!

Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Thu 10 Feb 2005 05:28:31a, SequoiaGiganti wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Hi again, how are you all doing?
>>
>> In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am
>> trying to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as
>> brussel sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want
>> a big bag of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple
>> of handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and
>> sautee in salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious
>> method, though. I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare
>> them.

> Slice in half. Toss in olive oil, herbs, Kosher salt, and crack
> pepper. Roast until lightly browned.

Lightly? This is one of the rare occasions in the kitchen where overcooked
is that way to go, let them roast until they are thoroughly browned, they
develop a deeper flavour as the sugars carmelize.

On Thu 10 Feb 2005 08:00:14p, Norm Soley wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> On Thu 10 Feb 2005 05:28:31a, SequoiaGiganti wrote in
>> rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Hi again, how are you all doing?
>>>
>>> In the attempt to eating more healthy less starchy stables I am
>>> trying to replace starch stables such as potatoes with greens such as
>>> brussel sprouts (he, the look on the farmers' faces when I say I want
>>> a big bag of them, when they are used to people only buying a couple
>>> of handfulls). I prepare mine like this: steam 5-10 minutes and
>>> sautee in salt and butter. I'm getting tired of this delicious
>>> method, though. I'm looking for inspiration for other ways to prepare
>>> them.

>> Slice in half. Toss in olive oil, herbs, Kosher salt, and crack
>> pepper. Roast until lightly browned.

> Lightly? This is one of the rare occasions in the kitchen where
> overcooked is that way to go, let them roast until they are thoroughly
> browned, they develop a deeper flavour as the sugars carmelize.

Well, uh, actually that's how mine usually turn out. I was afraid folks
might think they were burnt.

Wayne

In article <[email protected]>,
"SequoiaGiganti" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm getting tired of this delicious method, though. I'm looking for
> inspiration for other ways to prepare them.

Cut them in half, or not, pour some olive oil in a baking pan, roll
them around in it, sprinkle with salt and pepper, bake at 375 for about
15-20 minutes.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Oh, also I like them shredded and sauteed with garlic. Add some
lemon juice, and it's perfect.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

"Ranee Mueller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Oh, also I like them shredded and sauteed with garlic. Add some
> lemon juice, and it's perfect.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

IIRC Sheldon posted a nice brussel sprouts slaw recipe about 2 years ago. I
saved it, tried it, liked it. Then the computer I stored it on had a
massive HD failure.

Thanks for reminding me, guess it's time to hit google.

Marc

Inspired by the thread in general I cut them in half, preboiled them a
bit and burnt them on the pan on olive oil and lemon until caramelized.
Served them with some xtra lemon and olive oil. That was very good, but
next time I might skip the preboiling, as they got too soft.

Hmm, I think I asked for inspiration on how to prepare and serve them,
not "what's your personal opinion/definition of 'healthy'".