Brutal California Winter Riding on Sunday.

P E T E F A G E

Guest
Despite the slop, I was steaming the whole ride ina short-sleeved jersey.

Read your camera manual. Some cameras have a"Predator-emulation mode" which I tried out here:

http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/SDF/predator.jpg

Some of the locals are quite tasty:

http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/SDF/fig.jpg

They pack well too. Much better than Powerbars since they are more flexible:

http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/SDF/fig2.jpg

Some somewhat abstract post-ride shots after things dried out:

http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/5spot/pr1.jpg http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/5spot/pr2.jpg
http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/5spot/pr3.jpg http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/5spot/pr4.jpg

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:42:53 -0500, "Carla A-G"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:eek:[email protected]...
>> Some of the locals are quite tasty:
>>
>> http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/SDF/fig.jpg
>
>If that's what I think it is, a California newt, you better not attempt to taste one, the skin has
>toxins that will kill you quicker than you can say salamander.

I had no idea it was a newt!

The file name just popped into my head for some reason.

cue Monty Python tunes and exit...

P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:42:53 -0500, "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:eek:[email protected]...
>>> Some of the locals are quite tasty:
>>>
>>> http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/SDF/fig.jpg
>>
>> If that's what I think it is, a California newt, you better not attempt to taste one, the skin
>> has toxins that will kill you quicker than you can say salamander.
>
> I had no idea it was a newt!
>
> The file name just popped into my head for some reason.
>
> cue Monty Python tunes and exit...

Can I have your Porsche, 5 Spot and still camera?
--
Slacker

P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:42:53 -0500, "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:eek:[email protected]...
>>> Some of the locals are quite tasty:
>>>
>>> http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/SDF/fig.jpg
>>
>> If that's what I think it is, a California newt, you better not attempt to taste one, the skin
>> has toxins that will kill you quicker than you can say salamander.
>
> I had no idea it was a newt!

I believe Carla is correct in the ID of that critter, although I don't know about the toxicology.

I've actually got a couple of those. I've had this guy, Norm for about 10 years now. Fun little
pets, but I didn't find out they can live for 30 years until I had this one for four or five.
http://mattb.net/images/misc/newt6.jpg

I've handled him quite a bit and never had any trouble with toxins. Never tasted him though. Maybe
handling jsust slowly makes one crazy...

Matt (they call me the newt whisperer)

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:21:01 -0700, "MattB" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:42:53 -0500, "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:eek:[email protected]...

>>> If that's what I think it is, a California newt, you better not attempt to taste one, the skin
>>> has toxins that will kill you quicker than you can say salamander.
>>
>> I had no idea it was a newt!
>>

>I believe Carla is correct in the ID of that critter, although I don't know about the toxicology.

Ok, this is getting out of hand.

Here's the deal. I know it's a newt and toxic. Heck, they even close a road around here to prevent
the little fellows from being squished during mating season.

So, the word association gag goes like this:

Somewhat common trail food is Fig Newtons.

Eating a newt as trail food when it's deadly toxic.

Naming him fig.

>I've actually got a couple of those. I've had this guy, Norm for about 10 years now. Fun little
>pets, but I didn't find out they can live for 30 years until I had this one for four or five.
>http://mattb.net/images/misc/newt6.jpg

Definitely marinadable. That's a long life span.

My son got this guy as a baby a few months ago but they only live 7-10 years. They are crazy active
though kind of like a mini velociraptor (at least as far as the crickets are concerned).

http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/spikegreens.jpg

P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:21:01 -0700, "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:

>>> I had no idea it was a newt!
>>>

>> I believe Carla is correct in the ID of that critter, although I don't know about the toxicology.
>
> Ok, this is getting out of hand.
>
> Here's the deal. I know it's a newt and toxic. Heck, they even close a road around here to prevent
> the little fellows from being squished during mating season.
>
> So, the word association gag goes like this:
>
> Somewhat common trail food is Fig Newtons.
>
> Eating a newt as trail food when it's deadly toxic.
>
> Naming him fig.

I'll remember that if I need to name a newt in the future. At this rate that may be a while.

>> I've actually got a couple of those. I've had this guy, Norm for about 10 years now. Fun little
>> pets, but I didn't find out they can live for 30 years until I had this one for four or five.
>> http://mattb.net/images/misc/newt6.jpg
>
> Definitely marinadable. That's a long life span.
>
> My son got this guy as a baby a few months ago but they only live 7-10 years. They are crazy
> active though kind of like a mini velociraptor (at least as far as the crickets are concerned).
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/spikegreens.jpg

Cool. Looks like a healthy little dude. I had some tree frogs that used to live with the newts. They
grew old and died after five years or so. They used to provide us with entertainment when it was
time to sacrifice some crikets (small town we live in without a lot going on). The newts prefer
worms or other slower prey (like a maimed cricket).

Matt

"Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...
> > Some of the locals are quite tasty:
> >
> > http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/SDF/fig.jpg
>
> If that's what I think it is, a California newt, you better not attempt to taste one, the skin has
> toxins that will kill you quicker than you can say salamander.
>
> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Yip. California Newt. Very common in northern CA as well as being among the most toxic newts in
California. Toxins cause paralysis and/or death in predators. However, I'm unsure exactly how
dangerous they are to human-sized creatures.

They are currently in migration(?) (moving away from the water for the winter?) I believe and can be
found all over the local trails. I've been avoiding some of my favorite trails so I don't squish
any... I've come across trails where there are so many on the ground that you can't even step around
them without being very careful.

--

FlyingCoyote
http://boarsgut.com

--

"P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> Despite the slop, I was steaming the whole ride ina short-sleeved jersey.
>
> Read your camera manual. Some cameras have a"Predator-emulation mode" which I tried out here:
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/SDF/predator.jpg

Pretty photos, as usual.

Question: Do you always drag along the DSLR, or do you have a compact for point and shoot? I've been
trying to find one, have a few to look at now (all have tradeoffs - how come the fast focus/fast
burst ones can't have good picture quality, and vice versa?), but was wondering if you have any
suggestions - positive or otherwise.

Some of 'em I'm looking at now, if you're curious: Cannon S45 or SD100 (s45 is a bit high in price)
Sony DSC-P10 or DSC-P92 Fujifilm F700 (more for the burst capability than the fancy CCD its got)

I'd prefer to spend a bit less than any of the above, so I'm definitely open to suggestions. Thanks!

Jon "Mooching for info" Bond (and yes, I've checked a bunch of review sites, but personal experience
is nice to hear about)

Jon Bond wrote:

> Some of 'em I'm looking at now, if you're curious: Cannon S45 or SD100 (s45 is a bit high in
> price) Sony DSC-P10 or DSC-P92 Fujifilm F700 (more for the burst capability than the fancy CCD
> its got)
>

> Jon "Mooching for info" Bond (and yes, I've checked a bunch of review sites, but personal
> experience is nice to hear about)

I almost got the Sony CyberShot U, simply for it's size.

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

Zilla found this in the back of the refrigerator:
> Jon Bond wrote:
>>
>> Some of 'em I'm looking at now, if you're curious: Cannon S45 or SD100 (s45 is a bit high in
>> price) Sony DSC-P10 or DSC-P92 Fujifilm F700 (more for the burst capability than the fancy CCD
>> its got)
>>

>> Jon "Mooching for info" Bond (and yes, I've checked a bunch of review sites, but personal
>> experience is nice to hear about)
>
> I almost got the Sony CyberShot U, simply for it's size.

canon a70 here, but that sounds like a little less camera than what you are looking for.

Penny

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 00:26:07 -0500, "Jon Bond"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Question: Do you always drag along the DSLR, or do you have a
compact for
>point and shoot? I've been trying to find one, have a few to look at
now
>(all have tradeoffs - how come the fast focus/fast burst ones can't
have
>good picture quality, and vice versa?), but was wondering if you have
any
>suggestions - positive or otherwise.

I have had a Nikon 9xx "trail" camera for years. Currently I have the Nikon 995 which I usually
throw in my hydration pack on most rides unless I'm going somewhere that is particularly tasty.

The complaints about focus/shutter lag are due to the fact that people DO NOT PRE-FOCUS and expect
to be able to just point at a subject and have the camera instantly focus properly.

This is wishful thinking, even for high end DSLRs in some cases.

Whatever you get, practice panning/prefocusing, use the flash when you least expect it and you'll be
surprised at the results that will come with practice, practice, practice.

I don't kow about the cameras you mentioned but dpreview.com is a decent resource.

P e t e F a g e r l i n found this in the back of the refrigerator:

> Whatever you get, practice panning/prefocusing, use the flash when you least expect it and you'll
> be surprised at the results that will come with practice, practice, practice.

yes--- question tho.. I try and do this, focus on where I know the rider will be in a moment, but if
it's essentially empty space waiting for the subject to appear, what's the best way to prefocus?
This is where I'll try and pick a reference point closest, on the same plane ( a tree trunk, rock or
something) Is there a better way?

thanks

Penny

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> P e t e F a g e r l i n found this in the back of the refrigerator:
> >
> > Whatever you get, practice panning/prefocusing, use the flash when you least expect it and
> > you'll be surprised at the results that will come with practice, practice, practice.
> >

> yes--- question tho.. I try and do this, focus on where I know the rider will be in a moment, but
> if it's essentially empty space waiting for the subject to appear, what's the best way to
> prefocus? This is where I'll
try
> and pick a reference point closest, on the same plane ( a tree trunk, rock or something) Is there
> a better way?
>
> thanks
>
> Penny

I had decent results prefocussing on the trail - but that nikon coolpix was so slow, even after the
prefocus it'd be half a second to take the damn shot!

Jon Bond

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:08:23 -0800, P e t e F a g e r l i n
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Despite the slop, I was steaming the whole ride ina short-sleeved jersey.
>
>Read your camera manual. Some cameras have a"Predator-emulation mode" which I tried out here:
>
>http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/SDF/predator.jpg
>
>Some of the locals are quite tasty:
>
>http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/SDF/fig.jpg
>
>They pack well too. Much better than Powerbars since they are more flexible:
>
>http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/SDF/fig2.jpg
>
>Some somewhat abstract post-ride shots after things dried out:
>
>http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/5spot/pr1.jpg http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/5spot/pr2.jpg
>http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/5spot/pr3.jpg http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/5spot/pr4.jpg

nice, bill

...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all and on the trails
pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...