Brutal Hills

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Elsa Scammell, Jun 15, 2003.

  1. I came across this subject very recently on a web site; although I never cycled, I walked, 50 years
    ago, and I "collected" steep roads.

    I have Nailsworth Ladder set as Wallpaper; I ran /down/ it many times. Now I am old, ill and
    disabled, I cherish the memories, and I would like to ask a few questions:

    1. Has anyone a picture of the now steepest recorded hill in England, i.e. Minfordd, Harlech ? It
    is not illustrated on the web site. Vale Street in Bristol at one time occupied that place, and
    I remember going up and down that, and talking to the people living there and I have pictures
    of the road.

    2. An old illustrated AA road Book mentioned Staintondale, with a sketch, and its gradient
    below 1 in 2 (I haven't the book now). I would very much appreciate details of that (if it
    is still there) !!

    Please let me know if you require any settlement or acknowledgement.

    Many thanks,

    Elsa Scammell

    Tags:

  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 18:11 +0100 (BST), [email protected] (Elsa Scammell) wrote:

    >steepest recorded hill in England, i.e. Minfordd, Harlech

    I'd love to see the pics, I love the area, but AFAIR Harlech is more in Wales than in England...

    Guy
    ===

  3. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Just zis Guy, you
    know?) wrote:

    > On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 18:11 +0100 (BST), [email protected] (Elsa Scammell) wrote:
    >
    > >steepest recorded hill in England, i.e. Minfordd, Harlech
    >
    > I'd love to see the pics, I love the area, but AFAIR Harlech is more in Wales than in England...
    >
    > Guy
    > ===
    > ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
    > notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of
    > downtime between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same
    > equipment on the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

    Sorry; slip of the finger; I /had/ actually searched the web sites for Welsh items; hills in
    Scotland, too. I'd love to see the pictures, as I have indicated; the chap who referred to this
    particular Harlech road does not seem to be accessible by e-mail.

    Elsa

  4. On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 19:07:16 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 18:11 +0100 (BST), [email protected] (Elsa Scammell) wrote:
    >
    >>steepest recorded hill in England, i.e. Minfordd, Harlech
    >
    >I'd love to see the pics, I love the area, but AFAIR Harlech is more in Wales than in England...
    >
    >Guy
    >===

    .. I thought I d let that one go..

    And Ffordd Penllech is a damn sight easier to pronounce than all those English and Scottish place
    names, that you have to question a local to find the true pronounciation.

    Dont think I am going to ride it though

    Richard Webb