Brutal Hills

Elsa Scammell

Guest
I came across this subject very recently on a web site; although I never cycled, I walked, 50 years
ago, and I "collected" steep roads.

I have Nailsworth Ladder set as Wallpaper; I ran /down/ it many times. Now I am old, ill and
disabled, I cherish the memories, and I would like to ask a few questions:

1. Has anyone a picture of the now steepest recorded hill in England, i.e. Minfordd, Harlech ? It
is not illustrated on the web site. Vale Street in Bristol at one time occupied that place, and
I remember going up and down that, and talking to the people living there and I have pictures
of the road.

2. An old illustrated AA road Book mentioned Staintondale, with a sketch, and its gradient
below 1 in 2 (I haven't the book now). I would very much appreciate details of that (if it
is still there) !!

Please let me know if you require any settlement or acknowledgement.

Many thanks,

Elsa Scammell

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 18:11 +0100 (BST), [email protected] (Elsa Scammell) wrote:

>steepest recorded hill in England, i.e. Minfordd, Harlech

I'd love to see the pics, I love the area, but AFAIR Harlech is more in Wales than in England...

Guy
===

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Just zis Guy, you
know?) wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 18:11 +0100 (BST), [email protected] (Elsa Scammell) wrote:
>
> >steepest recorded hill in England, i.e. Minfordd, Harlech
>
> I'd love to see the pics, I love the area, but AFAIR Harlech is more in Wales than in England...
>
> Guy
> ===
> ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
> notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of
> downtime between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same
> equipment on the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

Sorry; slip of the finger; I /had/ actually searched the web sites for Welsh items; hills in
Scotland, too. I'd love to see the pictures, as I have indicated; the chap who referred to this
particular Harlech road does not seem to be accessible by e-mail.

Elsa

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 19:07:16 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 18:11 +0100 (BST), [email protected] (Elsa Scammell) wrote:
>
>>steepest recorded hill in England, i.e. Minfordd, Harlech
>
>I'd love to see the pics, I love the area, but AFAIR Harlech is more in Wales than in England...
>
>Guy
>===

.. I thought I d let that one go..

And Ffordd Penllech is a damn sight easier to pronounce than all those English and Scottish place
names, that you have to question a local to find the true pronounciation.

Dont think I am going to ride it though

Richard Webb