Bruyneel Admits Doping at Disco...kind of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolfrae

Sep 15, 2006
The quote below is from an article antitled The Bruyneel Philosophy on today's cyclingnews http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2008/jan08/jan05news
Am I misreading or is The Hog saying that under the new 'clean' climate they wouldn't get away with the Disco style dodgy methods at the 'new' Astana? Is this almost a confession? Am I still drunk from Hogmanay? :D

The new Astana team is "not a copy of Discovery Channel," said the new General Manager of the squad, Johan Bruyneel. "The general situation of the sport does not allow this."

Rolfrae said:
The quote below is from an article antitled The Bruyneel Philosophy on today's cyclingnews http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2008/jan08/jan05news
Am I misreading or is The Hog saying that under the new 'clean' climate they wouldn't get away with the Disco style dodgy methods at the 'new' Astana? Is this almost a confession? Am I still drunk from Hogmanay? :D

The new Astana team is "not a copy of Discovery Channel," said the new General Manager of the squad, Johan Bruyneel. "The general situation of the sport does not allow this."

That is interesting...I missed that or maybe didn't think about it like this when I read it yesterday. Interesting! I'm sure he means well. You know you have to give the man some credit, he's making a lot of money for telling others how to do things "right".

Interesting.

Here is another quote: The Belgian, who has eight Tour de France victories on his palmarès as directeur sportif, is confident that he won't be equally fooled by Andreas Klöden, despite rumours that the German's T-Mobile Team may have been involved in blood-doping during the 2006 Tour de France. "Klöden told me that he had nothing to do with it. As far as I know he has never been involved in a doping affair," stated Bruyneel, who was required by the UCI to take over all existing Astana contracts when he took over the team. "We are heavily armed against possible matters from the past. If it appears that Klöden was involved in something, then we will react appropriately."

I wonder what he means by "armed against possible matters from the past". What about the shadow of OP over Contador?

He means CSCesque maniera antidopage from Damsgaard.

Bru-y-neel is too experienced a bro-fox to kneel or admit.

Bruyneel proud motto: "a Bro-wh(y)-ever-kneel" .

Oopsie, I getting carry away…

Rolfrae said:

Fully expect this to be clarified in tomorrows press.... Lance wont allow this to be printed. In saying that it could just be a dodgy translation...... more importantly Bruyneel states.... "after three weeks I had had enough." He is not the kind of person "to just sit at home," he explained - If my wife was as ugly as Bruyneels and looked like ET on growth hormone then I wouldn't want to stay at home either.......

.....and whats the deal with Kloden ? Bruyneel has already sidelined him... its obvious he doesn't want Kloden on the team but he has to honor the contract... you think Kloden will call Jan and tell him what Bruyneel had been up to all those years ?

whiteboytrash said:
Fully expect this to be clarified in tomorrows press.... Lance wont allow this to be printed. In saying that it could just be a dodgy translation...... more importantly Bruyneel states.... "after three weeks I had had enough." He is not the kind of person "to just sit at home," he explained - If my wife was as ugly as Bruyneels and looked like ET on growth hormone then I wouldn't want to stay at home either.......

.....and whats the deal with Kloden ? Bruyneel has already sidelined him... its obvious he doesn't want Kloden on the team but he has to honor the contract... you think Kloden will call Jan and tell him what Bruyneel had been up to all those years ?
It does read like an admission of past discretions doesn't it. And I thought Lance had been riding on bread and water alone!

Maybe he can look Kloden in the eye like he did Basso and see that way if he has ever doped? Maybe he should at least have looked his wife in the face before marrying her? He was probably high on something when he said 'I do.'

Rolfrae said:
Am I misreading or is The Hog saying that under the new 'clean' climate they wouldn't get away with the Disco style dodgy methods at the 'new' Astana? Is this almost a confession? Am I still drunk from Hogmanay?
You may be drunk, but that is definitely the impression that comes into my sober mind. Then again, my impression of Bruyneel is that he isn't the cheeky sort that uses the old tried and true technique of admitting to wrong-doing without out being so explicit that the quote could be used in a court of law or explained away by the gullible. He seems more of the keep his mouth shut and just pretend nothing is going on sort of guy. But I'm at a lost to explain what else he could be referring to?

As others noticed the other interesting part is that he is already distancing himself from Kloden in the somewhat likely event that doping revelations come out around him.

Wayne666 said:
As others noticed the other interesting part is that he is already distancing himself from Kloden in the somewhat likely event that doping revelations come out around him.
It's is only a matter of time before info comes out about which of the T-Mobile riders blood doped in the 2006 Tour. Klodi is finished.

It's nice how at the same time Bruyneel is distancing himself from his own past, he has been knocking Klodi for his.

Bro Deal said:
It's is only a matter of time before info comes out about which of the T-Mobile riders blood doped in the 2006 Tour. Klodi is finished.

It's nice how at the same time Bruyneel is distancing himself from his own past, he has been knocking Klodi for his.
Yeah! A really smart person can put a smokescreen by saying that Bruyneel said, while keeping essentially the same doping program in place (since it is smart/rich enough to not get caught anyway). Then, at the first opportunity, dump Kloeden. But is Bruyneel really this smart, or is he just making some slips?

What will be funny about Bruyneel's situation is that although he claims to want to run Astana clean, he has surroounded himself with hardcore dopers who owe their success to unrestricted doping. Even if he tries to stop the doping, the riders will simply dope on their own. So he will likely have a Sinkewitz-T-Mobile-like positive, where one cowboy brings the whole organization down. That is all it will take. One positive or even sketchy allegation will get Astana ostracized.

Why only the Bruyneel hatred? Why are you not posting topics about Riis, Lefevere etc? If only Disco cheated, how can it be possible that they were beaten multiple times by QS, CSC, Liquigas, Rabobank, Lampre, Cofidis etc...???
:eek:
I've given up the illusion of cycling being a clean sport a long time ago, but it's still ridiculous to blame just one team being dirty...

bambi said:
Why only the Bruyneel hatred? Why are you not posting topics about Riis, Lefevere etc? If only Disco cheated, how can it be possible that they were beaten multiple times by QS, CSC, Liquigas, Rabobank, Lampre, Cofidis etc...???
:eek:
I've given up the illusion of cycling being a clean sport a long time ago, but it's still ridiculous to blame just one team being dirty...
Because Bruyneel has been unapologetic about it. When the other teams tried to make a stand on doping and Operation Puerto, Bruyneel ****** in their faces. Disco and Caisse broke the deal, continued with the old ways, and forced the other teams to follow suit.

I notice the ambiguous language these guys use. Instead of saying he doesn't think Klodi has doped he says...

"As far as I know he has never been involved in a doping affair"

Which could be interpreted that he doesn't believe Klodi has been involved in a doping scandal. Its a bit like the guys who, instead of saying they have never used PED's, say that they have never tested positive.

Crankyfeet said:
I notice the ambiguous language these guys use. Instead of saying he doesn't think Klodi has doped he says...

"As far as I know he has never been involved in a doping affair"

Which could be interpreted that he doesn't believe Klodi has been involved in a doping scandal. Its a bit like the guys who, instead of saying they have never used PED's, say that they have never tested positive.
Given the current environment in the sport, it is not surprising that they use as vague language as possible to not give away any incriminating statements. It has the added advantage that in case a disaster strikes later, they can spin their old statements to look good in front of the press.

****** on their faces? Basso was cleared by the UCI and the Italy Cycling Federation when he hired him, I'd have done the same if I had the money and a good team! Discovery was not btw the only team after him, if you can dig deeper you'll see witch teams were so ****** that he actually went for DC.. Lefevere shouting at JB whilst his dope program prodused multiple victories for his team, wonder why no one talks about that...

I love cycling, after following it for many years I changed my training from running to riding, but since I live in Denmark now, it feels like I'm having headwind all the time, (Denmark is like a pancake, flat, flat, flat and very WINDY) it's awful with a bike, so I rather run when it's really windy...:D

bambi said:
****** on their faces? Basso was cleared by the UCI and the Italy Cycling Federation when he hired him, I'd have done the same if I had the money and a good team! Discovery was not btw the only team after him, if you can dig deeper you'll see witch teams were so ****** that he actually went for DC.. Lefevere shouting at JB whilst his dope program prodused multiple victories for his team, wonder why no one talks about that...

I love cycling, after following it for many years I changed my training from running to riding, but since I live in Denmark now, it feels like I'm having headwind all the time, (Denmark is like a pancake, flat, flat, flat and very WINDY) it's awful with a bike, so I rather run when it's really windy...:D
Bambs, you've spent too much time on DPF...Disco Propaganda Forum.....:D

Don't worry...we can cure you here.;)

I like the Danes...the culture there's a bit different from the US.:rolleyes:

Thanks Cranky, but I don't think I need to be cured!:D

Nice to have a civil answer, if you ever come to Scandinavia, email me.:cool:

I still wonder why Bruyneel is the only target on this forum...:confused:

Cheers, Bambi

bambi said:
Thanks Cranky, but I don't think I need to be cured!:D

Nice to have a civil answer, if you ever come to Scandinavia, email me.:cool:

I still wonder why Bruyneel is the only target on this forum...:confused:

Cheers, Bambi
I think if you stay a bit longer, you'd see that there is a wide spread of different targets that are unfortunately regularly provided for us to shoot at. There is no shortage of rotten fodder emanating from multiple sources in pro cycling currently.

We need something substantially positive to happen to plug this leaking ship.

TheDarkLord said:
Here is another quote: The Belgian, who has eight Tour de France victories on his palmarès as directeur sportif, is confident that he won't be equally fooled by Andreas Klöden, despite rumours that the German's T-Mobile Team may have been involved in blood-doping during the 2006 Tour de France. "Klöden told me that he had nothing to do with it. As far as I know he has never been involved in a doping affair," stated Bruyneel, who was required by the UCI to take over all existing Astana contracts when he took over the team. "We are heavily armed against possible matters from the past. If it appears that Klöden was involved in something, then we will react appropriately."

I wonder what he means by "armed against possible matters from the past". What about the shadow of OP over Contador?

I think it means that Kloden is utterly farked. Didn't Contador trash him as well in an interview a few weeks ago? The only reason I can imagine why Kloden isn't leaving is that he cannot for the hell of it find another team. Ironically, I can imagine that Kloden most likely will race totally clean this year. Why? Because he has no backing from Astana whatsoever. Neither gear nor protection. The only way for him to make money until the end of his career will be to stay clean at Astana and not to give them any reason to get fired. That's why he won't confess any T Mobile schenanigans either. If he gets the nod for the TdF, it will be very interesting to see him perform.

Cobblestones said:
I think it means that Kloden is utterly farked. Didn't Contador trash him as well in an interview a few weeks ago? The only reason I can imagine why Kloden isn't leaving is that he cannot for the hell of it find another team. Ironically, I can imagine that Kloden most likely will race totally clean this year. Why? Because he has no backing from Astana whatsoever. Neither gear nor protection. The only way for him to make money until the end of his career will be to stay clean at Astana and not to give them any reason to get fired. That's why he won't confess any T Mobile schenanigans either. If he gets the nod for the TdF, it will be very interesting to see him perform.
Klodi should slap a palmfull of Androgel on Contador.

Status
Not open for further replies.