Bruyneel - signing Basso was a mistake

Rolfrae

Sep 15, 2006
Looking back, [Bruyneel] added that signing Ivan Basso to Discovery Channel this year "was probably a mistake".

So does that mean it was a mistake to hire a liar and cheat or that it was a mistake to sign him when under the changing ethical environment he was likely to be banned? Technical or moral mistake? I look forward to reading about The New Astana's first round of in-house doping tests - Bruyneel will sit all the riders down and look into their eyes in search of doping. Hopefully he'll have no more mistakes in 2008.

full article at:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/oct07/oct30news

Rolfrae said:
Looking back, [Bruyneel] added that signing Ivan Basso to Discovery Channel this year "was probably a mistake".

So does that mean it was a mistake to hire a liar and cheat or that it was a mistake to sign him when under the changing ethical environment he was likely to be banned? Technical or moral mistake? I look forward to reading about The New Astana's first round of in-house doping tests - Bruyneel will sit all the riders down and look into their eyes in search of doping. Hopefully he'll have no more mistakes in 2008.

full article at:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/oct07/oct30news
You wonder why they signed him in the first place, bit of a kick in the teeth for sponsors. Although in at the same time, alot of publicity

Scotttri said:
You wonder why they signed him in the first place...
Because he was a proven talent and they assumed that he would beat the OP rap. He would have too, except Torri took over at CONI.

I'd say the latter is the better classification for the mistake. sure it sounds pathetically pragmatic. But,it is less risky. Unless Mr. Bruyneel feels he is totally safe from ever being himself categorizied in the way you have Mr. Basso... Nyuck Nyuck

Rolfrae said:

So does that mean it was a mistake to hire a liar and cheat or that it was a mistake to sign him when under the changing ethical environment he was likely to be banned?

What Bruyneel really means:

"It was a mistake signing Basso because he got caught. If he hadn't of gotten caught, it woudn't have been a mistake."

;)

Don't tell me that Bruyneel is doubting his famous "look 'em in the eyes" technique for discovering dopers. I wonder if he his house is devoid of mirrors.

Wayne666 said:
Because he was a proven talent and they assumed that he would beat the OP rap. He would have too, except Torri took over at CONI.
+1. Seems the most plausible explanation. Also Bruyneel would have been assured if Ivan skipped the rap, he would be more than willing to get with his Disco program.

When Bruyneel looks 'em in the eyes, he wants to see loyal deceit pouring out.