Bst Mountain Bike Under $500

Uawadall

Jun 14, 2015
What are some of the best mountain bikes under $500. I've got into road cycling this year and will be looking for a mountain bike next year.

Uawadall said:
What are some of the best mountain bikes under $500. I've got into road cycling this year and will be looking for a mountain bike next year.
If you are looking for a NEW bike, then you need to consider a NOS bike from a prior model year which an LBS may have or a USED bike which you buy locally (which MUST look close to pristine if you don't know its history because it will probably be expensive to replace worn components, especially if you cannot DIY) because you have probably set an impossibly low price target ...

REGARDLESS, the MTB you choose should be based on WHERE you will be riding ...

WHERE you will be riding will generally dictate the type of suspension which is preferred.

For "flat" rails-to-trails type of riding, you won't need a bike with ANY suspension ...

If you simply want a bike which can handle FATTER TIRES + FLAT Handlebars, then a Hybrid with a Rigid Fork will probably be a suitable choice (just to name ONE-of-many options) ...

Near the other extreme, for rutted trails with inclines then you will probably want a bike with GOOD suspension components (Fox, Manitou, Marzocchi, Rock Shox ...) ...

Stick with the "name" brands which are sold in bike shops ...

I have a diamondback response mountain bike. Its the best bike I've ever owned, I'd say its got the strongest frame you'll get for your budget, its light and suitable for off-roading, and has incredibly efficient brakes. I got one off of Amazon about 3 years ago for approximately $400 dollars, although I've seen them for as little as $350 in the past.

I purchased Mongoose bike 3 months ago and I've never felt so comfortable before. It's really smooth and sensitive. I guess it's kinda a new dimension in exploring landscapes. And it's resistable enough, no matter how hard I try to crash it :D
It was a really hard choice, between this one and GMC Topkick. Well, they both worth trying. Before making your own decision, it's useful to read some reviews

It's pleasure you got your bike. I think there are many decent mountain bikes within $500. My one choose to go
Schwinn Bonafied 29, it's really worth the price

If you are looking for a NEW bike, then you need to consider a NOS bike from a prior model year which an LBS may have or a USED bike which you buy locally (which MUST look close to pristine if you don't know its history because it will probably be expensive to replace worn components, especially if you cannot DIY) because you have probably set an impossibly low price target ...

WHERE you will be riding will generally dictate the type of suspension which is preferred.

For "flat" rails-to-trails type of riding, you won't need a bike with ANY suspension ...

If you simply want a bike which can handle FATTER TIRES + FLAT Handlebars, then a Hybrid with a Rigid Fork will probably be a suitable choice (just to name ONE-of-many options) ...

Near the other extreme, for rutted trails with inclines then you will probably want a bike with GOOD suspension components (Fox, Manitou, Marzocchi, Rock Shox ...) ...

Below are the best mountain bikes for under $500, each guaranteed to put a smile on your face.
Diamondback Recoil 29er Full Suspension.
Raleigh Bikes Ziva Women's.
Gravity FSX 1.0 Dual Full Suspension.
Diamondback Overdrive 29 Hardtail.
Raleigh Bikes Talus 2.

Clean Master Adam4adam Mathway

B'Twin Triban 100 — £249
Brand-X road bike — £300
Carrera Zelos — £250
Roux Etape 150 — £350
Calibre Lost Lad — £399
Vitus Bikes Razor — £340
Voodoo Limba — £450
Pinnacle Laterite 2 — £500