BTA membership

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Bob Smith, Jul 11, 2005.

  1. Bob Smith

    Bob Smith Guest

    I'm new to Triathlon and hope to do my first event in August. Is it worth
    getting BTA membership before I start, or should I not worry about this yet?
    It will be £36 for me as I'm a member of a BTA approved running club.

    Tags:

  2. trimark

    trimark Guest

    Bob Smith wrote:
    > I'm new to Triathlon and hope to do my first event in August. Is it worth
    > getting BTA membership before I start, or should I not worry about this yet?

    Bob, I wouldn't worry about BTA membership yet. You will have to pay
    for a day license on race day, or will have already paid for this by
    paying more upfront as a non-member for your race fee.

    Joining is one of those cost versus benefits things, or a question of
    wanting to belong. I've always been a member and like to put things
    back into the sport, I'm a club Chairman and write for the BTA house
    magazine tri-news. Others though ask what they'll get back for the
    money and if it doesn't seem worth it, complain.

    If you do enough races in a season, the difference between the
    non-member and member race prices gets to a point where its cheaper to
    join. I'd say though do your first race, see what you think, and then
    make a decision. You can submit the day license for discounted
    membership.

    The BTA is putting a lot into the sport by encouraging and supporting
    the development of coaches, referees, saftey officers etc.

  3. Bob Smith

    Bob Smith Guest

    I was under the impression that you are insured while you train too?

    "trimark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Bob Smith wrote:
    >> I'm new to Triathlon and hope to do my first event in August. Is it worth
    >> getting BTA membership before I start, or should I not worry about this
    >> yet?

    > Bob, I wouldn't worry about BTA membership yet. You will have to pay
    > for a day license on race day, or will have already paid for this by
    > paying more upfront as a non-member for your race fee.
    >
    > Joining is one of those cost versus benefits things, or a question of
    > wanting to belong. I've always been a member and like to put things
    > back into the sport, I'm a club Chairman and write for the BTA house
    > magazine tri-news. Others though ask what they'll get back for the
    > money and if it doesn't seem worth it, complain.
    >
    > If you do enough races in a season, the difference between the
    > non-member and member race prices gets to a point where its cheaper to
    > join. I'd say though do your first race, see what you think, and then
    > make a decision. You can submit the day license for discounted
    > membership.
    >
    > The BTA is putting a lot into the sport by encouraging and supporting
    > the development of coaches, referees, saftey officers etc.

  4. trimark

    trimark Guest

    >>I was under the impression that you are insured while you train too?

    Well you have to ask what that is worth. Before I explain, I'm not here
    to dissuade you from joining, but I encourage people to join for more
    positive reasons. To support the organisation to bring sport to more
    people, both youth and adults, to develop the sport etc.

    You do indeed get both accident and public liability cover as a member,
    while training. If you ever really need this help, based on the
    experience of my fellow Tri-Force club member Paula Craig, the BTA will
    get it for you. Paula was mown down by a driver who was banned from
    driving and permanently disabled. The BTA were one of a number of
    organisations that help secure her futire.

    So, what of the insurance? Well if you are talking about training in
    the UK, you are always covered by the National Health service for
    accident and emergancy. If you have life insurance, then it won't
    preclude cycling and loss of limb, eyesight, death etc. will all be
    covered and the BTA insuarnce won't payout as well. So you are left
    with legal assistance and liability insurance. In many cases if you
    check your house insuarnce you may have liability cover and that leaves
    legal.

    If you are training in the EU, then an NHS E111 will provide the same
    benefits for accident and emergancy and travel insuarnce the rest.
    Training in the US would almost certainly be covered by travel policy
    but buyer beware.

    So, please join the association for what you can bring to the sport,
    what the association can do to spread the word and involvement in the
    sport, what it does to support the sport!

  5. Bob Smith

    Bob Smith Guest

    Thanks for the info. I probably was thinking about joining for the wrong
    reasons. Maybe when I have some (more) experience with the sport I can make
    a more informed decision.