Bubblegum Welds

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jd, Apr 18, 2003.

  1. Jd

    Jd Guest

    I need to sneak into a certain LBS that has Santa Crud on the floor with my digital camera. A close
    inspection yesterday revealed many more of the infamous bubblegum welds that Santa Crud is so well
    known for. I mean these were absofrigginlutely horrific. Enough so, that getting banned from this
    shop for exposing the crud is worth it, especually on the Blur there. My guess would be that "Blur"
    means either the vision quality of the welder, or that the welds are a mere "Blur" themselves.

    JD got bead?

    Tags:

  2. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I need to sneak into a certain LBS that has Santa Crud on the floor with my digital camera. A
    > close inspection yesterday revealed many more of the infamous bubblegum welds that Santa Crud is
    > so well known for. I mean these were absofrigginlutely horrific. Enough so, that getting banned
    > from this shop for exposing the crud is worth it, especually on the Blur there. My guess would be
    > that "Blur" means either the vision quality of the welder, or that the welds are a mere "Blur"
    > themselves.
    >
    > JD got bead?

    The new Blur is an awesome ride man, but the finish is a little sloppy. Thought you weren't
    into looks?

  3. Technician

    Technician Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > --
    > http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I need to sneak into a certain LBS that has Santa Crud on the floor with my digital camera. A
    > > close inspection yesterday revealed many more of the infamous bubblegum welds that Santa Crud is
    > > so well known for. I mean these were absofrigginlutely horrific. Enough so, that getting banned
    > > from this shop for exposing the crud is worth it, especually on the Blur there. My guess would
    > > be that "Blur" means either the vision quality of the welder, or that the welds are a mere
    > > "Blur" themselves.
    > >
    > > JD got bead?
    >
    > The new Blur is an awesome ride man, but the finish is a little sloppy. Thought you weren't
    > into looks?

    Looks nothing. A good weld has more strength than a sloppy "bubblegum" weld. Hell, give me a MIG,
    TIG, Gas/Oxy, or even a stick welder and a can draw a good bead. From my experience, to get
    bubblegum welds, you have to either be trying to, or just simply be a very sloppy welder that
    takes no pride in the art. Now, i'm not saying my beads are true art, but they are fairly even,
    and quite strong.

    Hell, even my goose has some good looking welds on it, though i doubt they were hand done either.

    ~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

  4. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > >

    > > --
    > > http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I need to sneak into a certain LBS that has Santa Crud on the floor with my digital camera. A
    > > > close inspection yesterday revealed many more of the infamous bubblegum welds that Santa Crud
    > > > is so well known for. I mean these were absofrigginlutely horrific. Enough so, that getting
    > > > banned from this shop for exposing the crud is worth it, especually on the Blur there. My
    > > > guess would be that "Blur" means either the vision quality of the welder, or that the welds
    > > > are a mere "Blur" themselves.
    > > >
    > > > JD got bead?
    > >
    > > The new Blur is an awesome ride man, but the finish is a little sloppy. Thought you weren't into
    > > looks?
    > >

    > Looks nothing. A good weld has more strength than a sloppy "bubblegum" weld. Hell, give me a MIG,
    > TIG, Gas/Oxy, or even a stick welder and a can draw a good bead. From my experience, to get
    > bubblegum welds, you have to either be trying to, or just simply be a very sloppy welder that
    > takes no pride in the art. Now, i'm not saying my beads are true art, but they are fairly even,
    > and quite strong.
    >
    > Hell, even my goose has some good looking welds on it, though i doubt they were hand done either.
    >
    > ~Travis
    > --
    > To reply by email, remove clothes.
    >
    > travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer
    > (current project: Automotive exhaust flame-thrower)

    So your saying that SC welds are not good?

  5. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > So your saying that SC welds are not good?

    I think that was the general thrust of his post.

    -John Morgan

  6. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

  7. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > > So your saying that SC welds are not good?
    > >
    > > I think that was the general thrust of his post.
    > >
    > > -John Morgan
    > >

    > Didn't grab that, neither him or JD has come right out and said so, had me wondering. I'm asking
    > because I really want to know.

    from JD's post: "I mean these were absofrigginlutely horrific."

    Maybe you should cut down the porn and take a reading comprehension course at your local
    community college.
    --
    Slacker

  8. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > > I think that was the general thrust of his post.
    > > >
    > > > -John Morgan
    > > >

    > > Didn't grab that, neither him or JD has come right out and said so, had
    me
    > > wondering. I'm asking because I really want to know.
    >

    > from JD's post: "I mean these were absofrigginlutely horrific."
    >
    > Maybe you should cut down the porn and take a reading comprehension course
    at your local community college.
    > --
    > Slacker

    Ok moron, next!

  9. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > > Didn't grab that, neither him or JD has come right out and said so, had
    > me
    > > > wondering. I'm asking because I really want to know.

    > > from JD's post: "I mean these were absofrigginlutely horrific."
    > >
    > > Maybe you should cut down the porn and take a reading comprehension course
    > at your local community college.
    > > --
    > > Slacker
    > >

    > Ok moron, next!

    You see, you can comprehend! Very good!
    --
    Slacker

  10. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > me
    >

    > > > from JD's post: "I mean these were absofrigginlutely horrific."
    > > >
    > > > Maybe you should cut down the porn and take a reading comprehension
    course
    > > at your local community college.
    > > > --
    > > > Slacker
    > > >

    > > Ok moron, next!
    >

    > You see, you can comprehend! Very good!
    > --
    > Slacker

    Coming from a guy who calls himself "slacker" that's a compliment. Are you still here ?

    Go fly a kite.

  11. Peter R .

    Peter R . Guest

    On 18 Apr 2003 18:15:11 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

    >I need to sneak into a certain LBS that has Santa Crud on the floor with my digital camera. A close
    >inspection yesterday revealed many more of the infamous bubblegum welds that Santa Crud is so well
    >known for. I mean these were absofrigginlutely horrific. Enough so, that getting banned from this
    >shop for exposing the crud is worth it, especually on the Blur there. My guess would be that "Blur"
    >means either the vision quality of the welder, or that the welds are a mere "Blur" themselves.
    >
    >JD got bead?

    These are the 'Kinesis' welds. I wonder if the same appears on Ellsworths and Mountain Cycles.

    Peter R.

  12. JD wrote:
    > I need to sneak into a certain LBS that has Santa Crud on the floor with my digital camera. A
    > close inspection yesterday revealed many more of the infamous bubblegum welds that Santa Crud is
    > so well known for. I mean these were absofrigginlutely horrific. Enough so, that getting banned
    > from this shop for exposing the crud is worth it, especually on the Blur there. My guess would be
    > that "Blur" means either the vision quality of the welder, or that the welds are a mere "Blur"
    > themselves.
    >
    > JD got bead?

    This is what mine look like.

    http://www.anthonysloan.com/scwelds.jpg

    My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

  13. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 07:29:27 -0500, Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:

    >JD wrote:
    >> I need to sneak into a certain LBS that has Santa Crud on the floor with my digital camera. A
    >> close inspection yesterday revealed many more of the infamous bubblegum welds that Santa Crud is
    >> so well known for. I mean these were absofrigginlutely horrific. Enough so, that getting banned
    >> from this shop for exposing the crud is worth it, especually on the Blur there. My guess would be
    >> that "Blur" means either the vision quality of the welder, or that the welds are a mere "Blur"
    >> themselves.
    >>
    >> JD got bead?
    >

    >This is what mine look like.
    >
    >http://www.anthonysloan.com/scwelds.jpg

    Looks pretty good to me. But then I'm not a mountain bike god like some here....

  14. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > JD wrote:
    > > I need to sneak into a certain LBS that has Santa Crud on the floor with my digital camera. A
    > > close inspection yesterday revealed many more of the infamous bubblegum welds that Santa Crud is
    > > so well known for. I mean these were absofrigginlutely horrific. Enough so, that getting banned
    > > from this shop for exposing the crud is worth it, especually on the Blur there. My guess would
    > > be that "Blur" means either the vision quality of the welder, or that the welds are a mere
    > > "Blur" themselves.
    > >
    > > JD got bead?
    >

    > This is what mine look like.
    >
    > http://www.anthonysloan.com/scwelds.jpg

    Looks like a good weld. the run along the top looks like it was a little bit rushed, but still
    should have plenty of strength (though i may be just too picky).

    ~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

  15. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >These are the 'Kinesis' welds. I wonder if the same appears on Ellsworths and Mountain Cycles.

    Can anybody steer me to a pic of one?

    I'm wondering if that's the kind of weld that failed on my Ellsworth.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  16. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > RE/
    > >These are the 'Kinesis' welds. I wonder if the same appears on Ellsworths and Mountain Cycles.
    >
    > Can anybody steer me to a pic of one?
    >
    > I'm wondering if that's the kind of weld that failed on my Ellsworth.

    Who knows where Ellsworth was farming out his welding that week.

    I'll post pics of the offensive welds next week sometime.

    JD

  17. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    >Looks nothing. A good weld has more strength than a sloppy "bubblegum" weld. Hell, give me a MIG,
    >TIG, Gas/Oxy, or even a stick welder and a can draw a good bead. From my experience, to get
    >bubblegum welds, you have to either be trying to, or just simply be a very sloppy welder that
    >takes no pride in the art. Now, i'm not saying my beads are true art, but they are fairly even,
    >and quite strong.

    Yo, T call me crazy but how and why would you be welding KFC scaps together? ;-)

    :-]

  18. Mark B

    Mark B Guest

    JD,

    I darn near bought me a Santa Cruz Blur.

    I went for a Racer-X instead. Anything would have been better than my old Sugar but I look forward
    to many years with my new baby. Yeah, it's not the latest in VPP, SVT, Brains, etc. but it sure
    feels yummy out here in Pisgah and the Carolinas. The singletrack here eats computer chips and fancy
    linkage for lunch so I stuck with an old faithful design and geometry.

    2003 Black Anodized Racer-X 2001 Black Anodized Schwinn Homegrown Singlespeed

    Life is good.

    Mark B

    > I need to sneak into a certain LBS that has Santa Crud on the floor with my digital camera. A
    > close inspection yesterday revealed many more of the infamous bubblegum welds that Santa Crud is
    > so well known for. I mean these were absofrigginlutely horrific. Enough so, that getting banned
    > from this shop for exposing the crud is worth it, especually on the Blur there. My guess would be
    > that "Blur" means either the vision quality of the welder, or that the welds are a mere "Blur"
    > themselves.
    >
    > JD got bead?

  19. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Mark B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > JD,
    >
    > I darn near bought me a Santa Cruz Blur.
    >
    > I went for a Racer-X instead. Anything would have been better than my old Sugar but I look forward
    > to many years with my new baby. Yeah, it's not the latest in VPP, SVT, Brains, etc. but it sure
    > feels yummy out here in Pisgah and the Carolinas. The singletrack here eats computer chips and
    > fancy linkage for lunch so I stuck with an old faithful design and geometry.
    >
    > 2003 Black Anodized Racer-X 2001 Black Anodized Schwinn Homegrown Singlespeed
    >
    > Life is good.

    Damn skippy, it is. I just leapt back into town after a foray behind the Zion Curtain. Fast and
    narrow hardpacked singletrack on the SS was so too much. Nice choice Mark.

    JD

  20. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 22:53:45 -0400, "Mark B" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >2001 Black Anodized Schwinn Homegrown Singlespeed
    >
    >Life is good.

    aaaah that must be one sweet ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Peace, Bill(drooling) The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that
    is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]