"Bubbling" in calf

C

C

Wondering if anyone has ever had a "bubbling" feeling in their calves. I tweaked my left calf during
a race last month, took a few days off, then ended up with some pain in my right calf after coming
back to training. The soreness kind of switches from calf to calf-- but has decreased somewhat in
recent days. The thing I can't figure out is this "bubbling" sensation, which occurs in both calves.
When it's happening, I can look at the calf and actually see the "bubbling", like little twitches
muscles between my ankle and knee.

Compartment syndrome is the only thing I can find that resembles this symptom-- but there's no
significant pain involved in this.

I'd just be curious to know if anyone has ever experienced this-- if so, what was it
associated with.

Thanks!

[email protected]

>Subject: "Bubbling" in calf From: [email protected] (C) Date: Thu, Oct 9, 2003 3:35 PM
>Message-id: <[email protected]>
>
>Wondering if anyone has ever had a "bubbling" feeling in their calves. I tweaked my left calf
>during a race last month, took a few days off, then ended up with some pain in my right calf after
>coming back to training. The soreness kind of switches from calf to calf-- but has decreased
>somewhat in recent days. The thing I can't figure out is this "bubbling" sensation, which occurs in
>both calves. When it's happening, I can look at the calf and actually see the "bubbling", like
>little twitches muscles between my ankle and knee.
>
>Compartment syndrome is the only thing I can find that resembles this symptom-- but there's no
>significant pain involved in this.
>
>I'd just be curious to know if anyone has ever experienced this-- if so, what was it
>associated with.
>
>Thanks!
>
>[email protected]
>
>

I get this all the time, and my running friends get it too. I think the correct description is a
muscle "fasciculation" (probably spelled wrong). Its probably a fairly normal response to exercise.

When you're running, your muscles are contracting repeatedly for an extended period. The metabolism
of the muscle cells has to increase to keep up with the demand. When you stop excercising, the
muscle cells are still in a high metabolic state, but are no longer being used. The increased
metabolism make the muscles hyperexcitable, as they wait for the next nerve impulse to contract.
When the impulse doesn't arrive, the hyperexcited muscle cell eventually just contracts on its own.

The "bubbling" you see is just individual muscle bundles contracting own there own. It's probably
harmless. I usually don't even notice it unless I happen to look down at my calves after a run.

If it bothers you, you might try a longer cool down period after your runs. Try a slow jog, or walk
for 15 minutes after your workout.

Robert Walter, CA

Bubbling calves? I think your Mom took the brown acid at Woodstock, and you're still paying for it.
Good luck landing.

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 21:52:09 -0400 (EDT), [email protected] (Miss Anne Thrope) wrote:

>I think your Mom took the brown acid at Woodstock,

But... that was the GOOD acid. My record was three hits for breakfast the first day.

My sister has suffered for years with bubbling of her calves, sometimes into her thighs and sometimes even feel it in her abdomen. She has had tingling of her feet. You can actually see the bubbling in her legs even when she when she is asleep. It turns out that she has a B12 deficiency. Also a vitamin D deficiency. So if you have bubbling in the calves or know someone who does, I strongly suggest they get their B12 levels checked.

My sister has had bubbling of her calves for year, you can actually watch it happening. Turns out that she has a B12 deficiency.

My sister has had bubbling of her calves for year, you can actually watch it happening. Turns out that she has a B12 deficiency.

I have a bubbling in my left calf and I do cycling regularly. Could anyone tell me if this happened due to the cycling? It is not painful but is very much disturbing and annoying. Please reply me as soon as possible.