Buckled Rim?

Dan86

Apr 12, 2007
Hey all, I just got myself my first road bike (Trek 1400) less than a week ago, and have put maybe 50-60km on it in a couple days.

The thing is that I was playing around with it today, and noticed that the back brake was rubbing occasionally when i spun the rear wheel. It turns out that there is a small buckle in the rear wheel, only a couple mm out in one part of the rim, but it still worried me. Should a new bike be doing this?

Cheers,

Dan

Dan86 said:
Hey all, I just got myself my first road bike (Trek 1400) less than a week ago, and have put maybe 50-60km on it in a couple days.

The thing is that I was playing around with it today, and noticed that the back brake was rubbing occasionally when i spun the rear wheel. It turns out that there is a small buckle in the rear wheel, only a couple mm out in one part of the rim, but it still worried me. Should a new bike be doing this?

Cheers,

Dan
I'd take it back and have it checked. I'd assume it's not dangerous, and it's probably easy to adjust yourself, but if it's less than a week old, I would run back and get your LBS to fix it. If its out enough to be rubbing on the brake, then it's too much.