Buckled Wheel after tyre replacement

pritska

Jan 20, 2006
Hello,
I have started cycling again after many years of not riding. I decided to get a slick tyre put on my rear wheel so I could use a cycle trainer at home.

After replacing the knobbly tyre with a slick at the local bike shop, I noticed the day after that the brake was sticking to the wheel, and also looking down whilst riding the rear wheel was not straight.

I took the bike back and explained the above to the owner of the bike shop. He basically said, "we didn't cause that. We only replaced the tyre. We can fix it for you, but will charge you £10." :eek:

I know for a fact that the wheel was NOT buckled before I took it to the shop and it was almost immediately after. :mad:

As I don't know how it could've buckled, I'm looking for more seasoned cyclists' thoughts and opinions on this.

Could it have buckled just on it's own, during normal road riding?

Could it have buckled while the tyre was being changed?

Is it really difficult to fix this myself? I am a bit short on the pennies at the moment so would prefer to fix it myself if possible.

Thanks

pritska said:
Hello,
I have started cycling again after many years of not riding. I decided to get a slick tyre put on my rear wheel so I could use a cycle trainer at home.

After replacing the knobbly tyre with a slick at the local bike shop, I noticed the day after that the brake was sticking to the wheel, and also looking down whilst riding the rear wheel was not straight.

I took the bike back and explained the above to the owner of the bike shop. He basically said, "we didn't cause that. We only replaced the tyre. We can fix it for you, but will charge you £10." :eek:

I know for a fact that the wheel was NOT buckled before I took it to the shop and it was almost immediately after. :mad:

As I don't know how it could've buckled, I'm looking for more seasoned cyclists' thoughts and opinions on this.

Is it really difficult to fix this myself? I am a bit short on the pennies at the moment so would prefer to fix it myself if possible.

Thanks

No way could simply changing a tire/type cause a wheel getting out of true. Now, some nose picking monkey might have bashed the wheel while it was in the shop. If you had a spoke tension issue prior new rubber, riding it could cause it to go out of true. Easy to fix if you have the patience and an inepensive spoke wrench. The price to true it is on the higher side of average, not crazy expensive.

I was riding the bike with the knobbly tyre and it was fine, before I took it in for the replacement. Bike less than a year old. I'm going with the nose-picking monkey theory :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply.

I don't agree. If the bead is tight and the wheel poorly built, a wheel out of true can result.

The first time I fitted Conti tyres to the 29er I had, the rear wheel had to be re-trued, when I re-fitted the original tyeres to sell the bike, same again.

My LBS has to dismantle and rebuild the wheel, for free, under warranty, conclusion, original wheel was probably built on a friday afternoon. The new owner has done a tyre swap since and no further problems.

gclark8 said:
I don't agree. If the bead is tight and the wheel poorly built, a wheel out of true can result.

The first time I fitted Conti tyres to the 29er I had, the rear wheel had to be re-trued, when I re-fitted the original tyeres to sell the bike, same again.

My LBS has to dismantle and rebuild the wheel, for free, under warranty, conclusion, original wheel was probably built on a friday afternoon. The new owner has done a tyre swap since and no further problems.

a slick tyre will run at a much higher pressure than a treaded mtb tyre which could have an effect - as could riding said slick without enough pressure .
nb: re the front brake , is that that the wheel is bent or just that the front brake is badly adjusted / wheel badly installed ?
re : the rear wheel is the rim out of true or is the tyre not 100% true relative to the rim ( not uncommon on cheap and , unfortunatly , expensive tyres for that matter )

el Inglés said:
a slick tyre will run at a much higher pressure than a treaded mtb tyre which could have an effect - as could riding said slick without enough pressure .
nb: re the front brake , is that that the wheel is bent or just that the front brake is badly adjusted / wheel badly installed ?
re : the rear wheel is the rim out of true or is the tyre not 100% true relative to the rim ( not uncommon on cheap and , unfortunatly , expensive tyres for that matter )
there is NOTHING wrong with the front wheel or brakes. Just the rear wheel spinning crooked and brakes sticking. I will remove wheel and re-fit to see if that makes a difference. watch this space....

pritska said:
Hello,

Thanks

Moral of the story: Next time change the tire yourself. It only takes a few minutes and is easier than most people think.

For all the constructive posts earlier, just thought i'd let you know that I took it to another bike shop who checked the wheel and it was out of "dish"? whatever that means.

He put a measurement thing on it and one part of the wheel was out of alignment from the other. A couple of spokes were also out of "trueness" and it seems that the wheel may have been out of alignment from when purchased. The knobbly tyre may have hidden the problem, and also the pressure may have been low.

Thank you for your useful suggestions and tips.

pritska said:
For all the constructive posts earlier, just thought i'd let you know that I took it to another bike shop who checked the wheel and it was out of "dish"? whatever that means.

He put a measurement thing on it and one part of the wheel was out of alignment from the other. A couple of spokes were also out of "trueness" and it seems that the wheel may have been out of alignment from when purchased. The knobbly tyre may have hidden the problem, and also the pressure may have been low.

The wheel may not have been de-stressed when it was built. Putting on a tire especially a tight fitting tire can cause the wheel to de-stress. Have the wheel trued by the shop and it will probably be just fine.

pritska said:

Out of dish means that the wheel wasn't centered equally on the hub so that when the wheel was put on the fork or the rear stays that the wheel would be to one side or the other and the brakes would be hard to adjust. This is especially true of the rear wheel where the spokes on the right side (cogset) are shorter than the left side. This is where the word "dish" is more accurate. Sounds like the wheel was in need of some TLC.