Buddhist Bicycle Jerseys

Peter W.

Guest
I'm thinking about making a very small run of Buddhist-themed bicycle
jerseys. My first attempt would be using an image of Guan-Yin
{Chinese), Kannon {Jap}, Kwanseum Bosal {Kor}:

http://www.ratsurfer.com/claire/400/guan-yin-holy_water.jpg

She is the female manifestation of the Bodhisattva
Avelokitshvara.

Is anyone interesting in having a jersey made for them ?

If interested, email me directly. I don't often read this
newsgroup. Thanks.

All artwork would be appropriately licensed from the artist.
All attempts will be made to hold the cost down to what
you'd pay for a comparable commercial team logo jersey.

Peter

Why don't you make a jersey out of Jesus, Maria and Holy
Father? Sounds strange, right? Your idea of making a
jersey out of Buddhist figures sounds exactly strange to
a buddhist.

news:[email protected]...

Peter W. wrote:
> I'm thinking about making a very small run of Buddhist-
> themed bicycle jerseys. My first attempt would be using
> an image of Guan-Yin {Chinese), Kannon {Jap}, Kwanseum
> Bosal {Kor}:
>
> http://www.ratsurfer.com/claire/400/guan-yin-
> holy_water.jpg
>
> She is the female manifestation of the Bodhisattva
> Avelokitshvara.
>
> Is anyone interesting in having a jersey made for them ?
>
> If interested, email me directly. I don't often read this
> newsgroup. Thanks.
>
> All artwork would be appropriately licensed from the
> artist. All attempts will be made to hold the cost
> down to what you'd pay for a comparable commercial
> team logo jersey.
>

> Peter

Hmmm, why did you spell out Chinese and abbreviate Japanese
and Korean? Its a matter of respect.

Why not work up some sketches and post them on a website?

jim

"Holy Smoke" <[email protected]> wrote in news:9ijbc.2506$%%1.16454
@newscontent-01.sprint.ca:
> Why don't you make a jersey out of Jesus, Maria and Holy
> Father? Sounds strange, right?

I have seen jerseys like that, printed for a evangelical
church bike tour. It does look kind of strange. I suppose
most public religious displays will look strange to some
people (both religious and not). Some people take religion
very seriously, so you may want to have your religious
friends critique the design before printing it.
Personally, I would stick to something less controversial,
like politics.

"Jenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Holy Smoke" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:9ijbc.2506$%%1.16454 @newscontent-01.sprint.ca:
> > Why don't you make a jersey out of Jesus, Maria and Holy
> > Father? Sounds strange, right?
>
> I have seen jerseys like that, printed for a evangelical
> church bike tour.
It
> does look kind of strange. I suppose most public religious
> displays will
look
> strange to some people (both religious and not). Some
> people take
religion
> very seriously, so you may want to have your religious
> friends critique
the
> design before printing it. Personally, I would stick to
> something less controversial, like politics.

World Jerseys already has a Bhuddist jersey for women. We
don't keep that one in stock, but can special order it for
customers.

Stuart Winsor Ground Zero Cycles [email protected]

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> I'm thinking about making a very small run of Buddhist-
> themed bicycle jerseys. My first attempt would be using
> an image of Guan-Yin {Chinese), Kannon {Jap}, Kwanseum
> Bosal {Kor}:

> All artwork would be appropriately licensed from the
> artist. All attempts will be made to hold the cost
> down to what you'd pay for a comparable commercial
> team logo jersey.

Like I've said before, I'd like to see a "Team Fred" jersey,
for those of us with Fredly bikes.

--
Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return
address before replying!

[email protected] (Peter W.) writes:

> I'm thinking about making a very small run of Buddhist-
> themed bicycle jerseys.

A nice idea, although this image does not interest me. I
would think that adapting something such as teh ox drawings
or perhaps the Dharma Wheel would be more interesting and
make it apropos for cycling. At least for me, the overly
devout approach lacking a bit of whimsy is not appealing
(for any faith).

Well, you can get pictures of Jesus on T shirts. For example:

http://www.choiceshirts.com/store/productsearchgrid.asp?f=1-
&c1=Inspirational

Having this on a jersey wouldn't be any stranger.

I don't know how many Buddhists would find the OP's idea
strange. I'm neither Christian nor Buddhist.

"Holy Smoke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<9ijbc.2506$%%1.16454@newscontent-
01.sprint.ca>...
> Why don't you make a jersey out of Jesus, Maria and Holy
> Father? Sounds strange, right? Your idea of making a
> jersey out of Buddhist figures sounds exactly strange to a
> buddhist.
>
> "Peter W." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm thinking about making a very small run of Buddhist-
> > themed bicycle jerseys. My first attempt would be using
> > an image of Guan-Yin {Chinese), Kannon {Jap}, Kwanseum
> > Bosal {Kor}:
> >
> > http://www.ratsurfer.com/claire/400/guan-yin-
> > holy_water.jpg
> >
> > She is the female manifestation of the Bodhisattva
> > Avelokitshvara.
> >
> > Is anyone interesting in having a jersey made for them ?
> >
> > If interested, email me directly. I don't often read
> > this newsgroup. Thanks.
> >
> > All artwork would be appropriately licensed from the
> > artist. All attempts will be made to hold the cost down
> > to what you'd pay for a comparable commercial team logo
> > jersey.
> >

> > Peter

"David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > I'm thinking about making a very small run of Buddhist-
> > themed bicycle jerseys. My first attempt would be using
> > an image of Guan-Yin {Chinese), Kannon {Jap}, Kwanseum
> > Bosal {Kor}:

> > All artwork would be appropriately licensed from the
> > artist. All attempts will be made to hold the cost down
> > to what you'd pay for a comparable commercial team logo
> > jersey.
>
> Like I've said before, I'd like to see a "Team Fred"
> jersey, for those of us with Fredly bikes.

The sound of one Huffy squeaking...

[email protected] (Kaputnik) writes:

> Well, you can get pictures of Jesus on T shirts. For
> example:
>
> http://www.choiceshirts.com/store/productsearchgrid.asp?f-
> =1&c1=Inspirational
>
> Having this on a jersey wouldn't be any stranger.
>
> I don't know how many Buddhists would find the OP's idea
> strange. I'm neither Christian nor Buddhist.

I see people driving cars, wearing T-shirts and cycling in
jerseys festooned with what seem to me to be obsequious
Christian images; many people's faith is such that they lose
all sense of perspective and alientate as many people as
they touch. Frankly, I find public

IMHO the image presented isn't appealing as a cycling jersey
in its own right- the image has no connection to cycling in
any way. Put Hotei on a bike and maybe you've got something.

on 4/2/04 9:52 PM, Tim McNamara asserted:

> Frankly, I find public

Indeed! There is nothing more repulsive than a man and a
woman kissing or even holding hands in public. It makes me
wonder why people build houses (or churches, temples,
synagogues, etc.) at all.

> IMHO the image presented isn't appealing as a cycling
> jersey in its own right- the image has no connection to
> cycling in any way. Put Hotei on a bike and maybe you've
> got something.

With the exception of possible exception of Kelme (just
because it's a sporting goods company, though they don't
make any cycling gear, AFAIK) what major sponsor of a
professional cycling team has anything to do with cycling
or any sports? Is a Full Sail Ale or Ben and Jerry's
jersey more appropriate to our chosen recreation? People
will brand themselves for many reasons; affinity for a
religion or religious figure seems as reasonable as for a
commercial product.

To the OP: is it Buddhism which says that if one paints a
deity incorrectly/poorly, in the next life the painter will
suffer the disfiguration that s/he depicted? Better do the
graphic right.

Seng

> > I'm thinking about making a very small run of Buddhist-
> > themed bicycle jerseys.
>
> A nice idea, although this image does not interest me. I
> would think that adapting something such as teh ox
> drawings or perhaps the Dharma Wheel would be more
> interesting and make it apropos for cycling. At least for
> me, the overly devout approach lacking a bit of whimsy is
> not appealing (for any faith).

I agree. A nice picture of Freya would be cool ... or even a
stylized Shiva.

C.Q.C.

> Personally, I would stick to something less
> controversial, like politics.

If someone gives a **** because there's a buddhist figure on
a cyclist's jersey, then they're the ones with the problem.
Infact, if they're that worried about all these
'controversial' religious references, I don't know how they
can even go out of the house... there's crosses everywhere,
jesus fish stuck on the back of millions of cars..
bumperstickers, etc. etc. Heck, even if they stayed inside
the house, there's television, with evangelist channels and
the trailer for the passion of the christ.

Peter W: Make whatever the hell jersey you want man...I'm
not buddhist or anything, but I think that design looks
awesome. the colours in it are great.

Mike http://mikebeauchamp.com

Mike Beauchamp <[email protected]> wrote in
message [email protected]

[...]

> Peter W: Make whatever the hell jersey you want man...I'm
> not buddhist or anything, but I think that design looks
> awesome. the colours in it are great.

I am emphatically not an expert in these things but
isn't that design a tad overly finely detailed for a
cycling jersey?

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

"DRS" <[email protected]> writes:

> Mike Beauchamp <[email protected]> wrote in
> message [email protected]
>
> [...]
>
>> Peter W: Make whatever the hell jersey you want man...I'm
>> not buddhist or anything, but I think that design looks
>> awesome. the colours in it are great.
>
> I am emphatically not an expert in these things but
> isn't that design a tad overly finely detailed for a
> cycling jersey?

No, it could be done although the image might need to be
printed as a one-pass transfer using sublimation ink in the
printer itself. Our former clothing maker (Speedy Recovery)
used this for stuff on our jerseys that needed fine
resolution and precise registration.

[email protected] (Peter W.) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm thinking about making a very small run of Buddhist-
> themed bicycle jerseys.

Where are all the folks who gave a poster a ration of
hate when he asked about a Christian jersey a couple of
years ago?

**** Durbin

**** Durbin wrote:
> [email protected] (Peter W.) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> I'm thinking about making a very small run of Buddhist-
>> themed bicycle jerseys.
>
> Where are all the folks who gave a poster a ration of
> hate when he asked about a Christian jersey a couple of
> years ago?

Ummm, burning in hell?

Bill "eternal Lycration" S.

"S o r n i" <[email protected]> writes:

> **** Durbin wrote:
> > [email protected] (Peter W.) wrote in message news:<2a0a5-
> > [email protected]>...
> >> I'm thinking about making a very small run of Buddhist-
> >> themed bicycle jerseys.
> >
> > Where are all the folks who gave a poster a ration of
> > hate when he asked about a Christian jersey a couple of
> > years ago?

They became Buddhists and are no longer concerned with
material possessions. When you become sufficiently
enlightened, you will have no need of jerseys. :)

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB

Are you sure you didn't send this out on April 1 (and have a
slow mail server)?

Actually, I have a jersey with a picture of Che Guevarra, so
I guess anything's game: Besides, it wouldn't be as
tasteless as evil clowns or gearheads.
http://www.crw.org/gallery/images/gary_smiley.jpg

Bill Z. wrote:
> "S o r n i" <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>**** Durbin wrote:
>>
>>>[email protected] (Peter W.) wrote in message news:<2a0a54-
>>>[email protected]>...

>>>Where are all the folks who gave a poster a ration of
>>>hate when he asked about a Christian jersey a couple of
>>>years ago?
>

> They became Buddhists and are no longer concerned with
> material possessions. When you become sufficiently
> enlightened, you will have no need of jerseys. :)

Or a bicycle.

jim