budget Ti road frame?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by pinoy, Jul 26, 2005.

1. pinoy

pinoy New Member

Well for the update folks. I went ahead and purchased the TST frame from Cambria outfittter and I am very satisfied with it.:D I got rid of my carbon giant frame and salvaged the Ultegra grupo from it. Again no more Carbon frame for me unless I want a bike for display or a "sponsor" will provide it for me. Thanks a bunch guys. No offense meant for the "carbon fanatics".:D

2. jasong

jasong New Member

Follow up in a few months with your thoughts on it for those of us that are subscribed to the thread. they also have a $350 hardtail mountain frame that looks like a nice deal.

Was there any kind of warranty mentioned (and how would it work?)? It says that the frames were being liquidated, perhaps implying nothing?

3. philso

philso New Member

i'm having no luck on a search.:eek: could you post an address for tst?
    thanks ;)

4. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

I've got about 2k miles on my TST, and so far couldn't be happier. Their web site, www.titaniumsports.com , says that there's a three year warranty on materials and workmanship. I don't know how that works if you get the frame somewhere else. Also, Cambria ships the frames without decals. If you don't like the stealth look, you can get a set from TST for $5.

5. cmortal

cmortal New Member

How satisfied have you been with your ti road bike? Did you get the frame customized? Did you order just the frame or did you order the frame and forks and other items? What would you recommend getting from them? Are there any other providers out there like this? As I have never built up a bike before, is it too ambitious for me to go this route?

Many thanks,

6. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

FWIW, there is a bike shop in Boulder (Excel Sports www.excelsports.com) that sells a ti bike built by American Bicycle Group http://www.americanbicyclegroup.com/, the company that owns both Lightspeed and Merlin. The bike is marketed under the brand name Macalu and they offer both a standard and compact frame. I think the geometry is that of a Lightspeed model no longer sold (~2004 IIRC). I ride a Merlin Extralight and love the ride of well-made ti frames. A friend in my cycling club asked my advice on a bike last September and I suggested he check out the Macalu. He ordered the Macalu Professional (standard frame) with a Campy groupset, FSA compact crank and Easton carbon fork. I think his build came in at <$2500 IIRC. I looked over his bike pretty carefully when he got it and the fabrication is identical to my bike (welds, etc.), no surprise since it's built at the Merlin factory in Tennessee. He has been riding it for ~6 months now and is thrilled with his purchase. He keeps reminding me that he is riding my bike at 1/3 the price. Basically, apart from a little difference in geometry and the fact that the Macalu is offered in 2cm frame-size increments vs. the Merlin Extralight in 1cm increments, he's right.

7. snyper0311

snyper0311 New Member

I just got a sponsership proposal frm a company named Flyte. They used to be Airborne but something happened with the marketing rights to the name and they changed their name. I ordered the bike 16 dya ago and it's still not here. According to their website, the estimated ship date is set for Monday, the 13th. The product looks good and should ride nice, but so far, I'm unimpressed with their efforts in getting a sponsered rider the equipmet needed to compete under their name.

Has anyone heard or have comments about Flyte?

Thanks!

8. cmortal

cmortal New Member

Thanks very much. Looks very interesting.

9. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

There's a budget titanium bike at Pauline's for about $450. Litetitan or something like that.

10. littlefeat

littlefeat New Member

If you're going for a Ti frame you need to examine the welding. I would suggest you go for an aluminium or steel frame as you'll get a well made frame for that of a budget Ti. There really is no such thing as a budget Ti frame!
    I ride a litespeed and if your hearts set on Ti then go for a top end frame, Litespeed or Merlin. It will last forever and in the long run, cost you less!

11. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

I think it depends on your definition of "budget." Excel Sports in Boulder sells a ti frame under the brand name "Macalu" that is fabricated by the Lightspeed/Merlin factory. They sell this frame for $850 and they sell a Merlin Extralight (the frame I ride) for $2600. I recommended this frame to a friend a few months ago and examined the welds when he got it. I'm not a welder, but I could see no difference in the welds. Is $850 a "budget" frame? I guess that's a subjective question. BTW, I have nothing to do with Excel Sports, I'm just passing on information.

12. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

you can get relativley cheap titanium frames,

i remember Raleigh used to sell an M-Trax titanium bike quite cheaply. The frame material was a titanium alloy that wasnt of the same grade used in Merlin or Litespeed etc...it was industrial stuff to fit the budget, still a nice frame though.

13. jaymz

jaymz New Member

hi! i know this is an old thread... but i found a LITETITAN frame with carbon rear triangle.
    can anyone care inform me about this frame?
    cant seem to find anything about it in the net other than this forum.

thanks so much!

14. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

Define 'better'? Lighter perhaps but remember lighter isn't 'better', just lighter. Ride quality, repairability, longevity....all into the mix as to what is 'better'.

15. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

The Habanero has been around for a very long time and they never get complaints about poor welding, so we can throw out the cheap weld and or welding practices out the window on that one.