Buffalo Type tops

Dave P

Guest
I am looking for a cheaper alternative to a Buffalo top. Are there any other similar products or
would you recommend sticking to the brand?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave P wrote:
> I am looking for a cheaper alternative to a Buffalo top. Are there any other similar products or
> would you recommend sticking to the brand?

Several similar ones, I'll leave it to you to decide if they're cheaper and/or as good. Other Usual
Suspects for Pile/Pertex or similar are:

- Mardale (http://www.mardale.com, I have a cycling jacket and a couple of fleece pullovers of
theirs and have been very happy with them)

- Montane (http://www.montane.co.uk/, I have a jacket and a couple of windshirts of theirs and have
been very happy with them)

- Extreme (http://www.extremeoutdoorclothing.com/, no personal experience)

- Trax (http://www.trax-clothing.co.uk/, no personal experience though a pal has one and seems
happy with it)

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Dave P wrote:

> I am looking for a cheaper alternative to a Buffalo top. Are there any other similar products or
> would you recommend sticking to the brand?

Montane are just as good and slightly less bulky. I saw on Monday that they are on special offer in
the Cotswold on Oxford Road, Manchester.

Dunc

"Duncan Irving" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dave P wrote:
>
> > I am looking for a cheaper alternative to a Buffalo top. Are there any other similar products or
> > would you recommend sticking to the brand?
> >

> Montane are just as good and slightly less bulky. I saw on Monday that
they
> are on special offer in the Cotswold on Oxford Road, Manchester.
>
> Dunc

Rock and Run currently selling Montane Extreme Smock @ £50.00 (RRP £100). http://tinyurl.com/2vag7

Gwyn

> > Montane are just as good and slightly less bulky. I saw on Monday that
> they
> > are on special offer in the Cotswold on Oxford Road, Manchester.
> >
> > Dunc
>
> Rock and Run currently selling Montane Extreme Smock @ £50.00 (RRP £100). http://tinyurl.com/2vag7
>
> Gwyn

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I have placed an order, appreciate the help
saving money!

Dave

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 19:53:34 -0000, "Jhimmy" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Also try http://www.winwood-outdoor.co.uk/ which had a load of Montane gear. The shop's at Keswick
>
>There's also that one on the A591 (can't remember the name but it's a cheap Shop!) next to the BP
>garage. Thye had some Montane the other week.

This afternoon I visited the Manchester Cotswold shop mentioned earlier and can confirm that they
have a large amount of heavily discounted Montane stuff in their bargain corner on the top floor.
Have Montane gone bust, or something?

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 20:50:15 +0000, Stuart Baldwin <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Have Montane gone bust, or something?

Can confirm that Montane are still very much alive and kicking; was in their
factory shop yesterday :) I suspect new range(s) coming in are reason for
price reductions currently being seen. All the more reason to grab "a bargain"
just now.. assuming, of course, you're not buying this stuff as a fashion
accessory ;-)

SteveO

NE Climbers & walkers chat forum; http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 12:27:04 +0000, Dave P wrote:

> I am looking for a cheaper alternative to a Buffalo top.
> Are there any other similar products or would you
> recommend sticking to the brand?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

What are the advantages of Buffalo type tops?

--
Brian

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 13:47:06 -0000, "Jhimmy" <[email protected]>
wrote:

Re.: Montane factory shop

>Is this the factory shop at Ashington, Steve? If so are
>there any bargains. What's the prices like?

Yes it is in Ashuntun, the prices are pretty good overall
tho' there's no guarantee what stock they'll have; stock at
the mo' is pretty good but I've been in when its been the
opposite. Picked up one of those soopa-doopa almost-weighs-
nothing Pertex jackets on my visit @ 30UKP instead of 50 (I
went for the Lite-Speed the one with the hood... visions of
freezin' me **nads off on a spring-time belay, getting
caught short without a jacket by balmy spring sunshine was
the motivation ;-) The other jacket, no hood, is 25ukp

SteveO

NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

In article <[email protected]>,
Judith <[email protected]> writes
>On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 14:04:59 +0000, Steve Orrell wrote:
>
>>>Is this the factory shop at Ashington, Steve? If so are
>>>there any bargains. What's the prices like?
>>
>>Yes it is in Ashuntun
>
>Which county is Ashington in?

Nof'umberlund

http://www.montane.co.uk/contact.htm

> I can find three on Autoroute (and if it's the one in
> Somerset then I could pop in on Friday as I'll be within
> 20 miles).

Unfortunately not.

>I've had a Montane jacket for about ten years and, apart
>from the puller coming off both ends of the zip, it's been
>brilliant. I might go for an over-the-head one this
>time....... although I do find I can only wear the jacket
>in the depths of winter as it's very warm.
>
>Judith

Like Steve I have a Light Speed Pertex jacket which I am
very impressed with. I also have the Featherlight smock
which is great and I just bought a Super Fly waterproof,
breathable, jacket which weighs in at a hefty 233g (medium).
Just need some rain to test it now!

Cotswold Outdoor have a bunch of the Montane gear on special
offer right now but I managed to resist!

--

http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bernie Hughes" <[email protected]> writes:
>> > What are the advantages of Buffalo type tops?
>>
>> Light weight.
>>
>> The list of disadvantages is a good deal longer.
>
> Intriguing. Go on then...

Too warm when you exercise. Too cold when you don't. Gets
sweaty very quickly when you exercise - and tends towards
smelliness much more than fleece/goretex. No protection
against serious rain. Or serious anything else.

--
Nick Kew

In article <[email protected]>,
SteveOrrell@?.?.invalid writes

><{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>bought a Super Fly waterproof, breathable, jacket which
>>weighs in at a hefty 233g (medium). Just need some rain to
>>test it now!
>
>No inclination to stand in the shower wearing it? All in
>the name of science, of course!

Showaz is fur wusses!

--

http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/

In article <[email protected]>,
"Rifleman" <[email protected]> writes:
> "Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:76k2i1-
> [email protected]...
>> No protection against serious rain.
>
> They aren't designed to be waterproof. They are designed
> to keep you warm when wet. They work very well.

My track suit keeps me warm and comfortable when wet. As
does fleece. Either of them have additional advantages,
like staying dry in anything short of heavy rain (the
buffalo gets drenched in sweat regardless) and smelling a
lot better during/after use. The buffalo, by contrast,
makes it very hard to stay warm if you stop exercising, and
even makes a change of clothes problematic due to being
drenched in sweat.

--
Nick Kew

In article <[email protected]>, Nick Kew
<[email protected]> writes
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Rifleman" <[email protected]> writes:
>> "Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:76k2i1-
>> [email protected]...
>>> No protection against serious rain.
>>
>> They aren't designed to be waterproof. They are designed
>> to keep you warm when wet. They work very well.
>
>My track suit keeps me warm and comfortable when wet. As
>does fleece. Either of them have additional advantages,
>like staying dry in anything short of heavy rain (the
>buffalo gets drenched in sweat regardless) and smelling a
>lot better during/after use. The buffalo, by contrast,
>makes it very hard to stay warm if you stop exercising, and
>even makes a change of clothes problematic due to being
>drenched in sweat.

You are obviously running too hot in the Buffalo. In
appropriate conditions they do not become drenched in sweat
- but appropriate conditions for the original pile / pertex
are a bit cold.

I have been very pleased with mine since I bought it 15
years ago but I only use it when it is appropriately cold.

--

http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/

In article <[email protected]>,
Bernie Hughes <[email protected]> writes
>"Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:76k2i1-
>[email protected]...
>> In article <Vrp3c.102$942.88@news-
>> binary.blueyonder.co.uk>, "Bernie Hughes"

>> > Intriguing. Go on then...
>>
>> Too warm when you exercise. Too cold when you don't. Gets
>> sweaty very quickly when you exercise - and tends towards
>> smelliness much more than fleece/goretex. No protection
>> against serious rain. Or serious anything else.

But great in yer average conditions (as long as it is cold
enough that you don't overheat)

>Very comprehensive! I've never so much as seen a Buffalo
>top. Is it like Paramo?

It is a pertex shell (windporoof / showerproof) over a
fibrepile liner. New variants have lighter weight pile or
thin fleece.

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/

--

http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/

Brian wrote:

> What are the advantages of Buffalo type tops?

They replace 4 layers of clothing (base layer, mid layer,
jacket and shell). The disadvantage, of course, is that they
replace 4 layers of clothing and you can't remove 3 of them.

They're very warm, windproof and they keep out enough rain
that what does get in won't cool you off too much and they
dry out fast. They are, in fact, using the same principle
as the "soft shell" clothing currently being hawked by
everyone as if it's some fantastic new idea! The various
vents mean you've got some options not to overheat, though
in practice I find they're not enough and suffer terribly
from overheating unless I'm standing around doing nothing
on a cold day.

If you don't "run hot" like me they seem to be very good.
Note that the ones with a thick pile will be quite a bit
hotter than the ones with a light fleece inner (but I even
found the similar top from Paramo with a liner like a
microfleece cooked me thoroughly, even with all the vents
open to let in the wind and rain!).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177

Brian wrote:

> What are the advantages of Buffalo type tops?

The real advantage for me, as someone who goes wild
camping, is that I don't need to fill my pack with
layers of clothing I'm not using; I adjust the venting
on the kit rather than having to adjust layers all the
time: stop to get the shell out when it rains, stop to
put the shell back when it stops, and so on.

I've taken to wearing Paramo Viento kit (over a base
layer) in any season except summer, and am a convert.
"Normal" Paramo kit, as Pete rightly said, is very
warm, and the Viento range was designed to be lighter
and for higher temperatures. I too "run hot", but find
I can control the temperature of the Viento about as
well as a layering system, and much more conveniently.
The trousers deserve praise as extremely comfortable,
flexible (they convert to shorts), and waterproof (far
better than any of the overtrousers I've tried).

The only serious disadvantage of the Paramo kit is that
it's expensive, because you're buying one garment that
replaces a shell and warmware, and paying about the
same as you would for both. It's also not *completely*
waterproof; any rain that gets in moves out very fast,
but it won't keep you totally dry. This may, or may
not, be an issue for you.

Just my 2p! Mark
--
Mark Manning [email protected]