Buffalo Type tops

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Dave P, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. Dave P

    Dave P Guest

    I am looking for a cheaper alternative to a Buffalo top. Are there any other similar products or
    would you recommend sticking to the brand?

    Thanks,

    Dave

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Dave P wrote:
    > I am looking for a cheaper alternative to a Buffalo top. Are there any other similar products or
    > would you recommend sticking to the brand?

    Several similar ones, I'll leave it to you to decide if they're cheaper and/or as good. Other Usual
    Suspects for Pile/Pertex or similar are:

    - Mardale (http://www.mardale.com, I have a cycling jacket and a couple of fleece pullovers of
    theirs and have been very happy with them)

    - Montane (http://www.montane.co.uk/, I have a jacket and a couple of windshirts of theirs and have
    been very happy with them)

    - Extreme (http://www.extremeoutdoorclothing.com/, no personal experience)

    - Trax (http://www.trax-clothing.co.uk/, no personal experience though a pal has one and seems
    happy with it)

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. Dave P wrote:

    > I am looking for a cheaper alternative to a Buffalo top. Are there any other similar products or
    > would you recommend sticking to the brand?

    Montane are just as good and slightly less bulky. I saw on Monday that they are on special offer in
    the Cotswold on Oxford Road, Manchester.

    Dunc

  4. Ferlas Mor

    Ferlas Mor Guest

    "Duncan Irving" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dave P wrote:
    >
    > > I am looking for a cheaper alternative to a Buffalo top. Are there any other similar products or
    > > would you recommend sticking to the brand?
    > >

    > Montane are just as good and slightly less bulky. I saw on Monday that
    they
    > are on special offer in the Cotswold on Oxford Road, Manchester.
    >
    > Dunc

    Rock and Run currently selling Montane Extreme Smock @ £50.00 (RRP £100). http://tinyurl.com/2vag7

    Gwyn

  5. Dave P

    Dave P Guest

    > > Montane are just as good and slightly less bulky. I saw on Monday that
    > they
    > > are on special offer in the Cotswold on Oxford Road, Manchester.
    > >
    > > Dunc
    >
    > Rock and Run currently selling Montane Extreme Smock @ £50.00 (RRP £100). http://tinyurl.com/2vag7
    >
    > Gwyn

    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I have placed an order, appreciate the help
    saving money!

    Dave

  6. On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 19:53:34 -0000, "Jhimmy" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Also try http://www.winwood-outdoor.co.uk/ which had a load of Montane gear. The shop's at Keswick
    >
    >There's also that one on the A591 (can't remember the name but it's a cheap Shop!) next to the BP
    >garage. Thye had some Montane the other week.

    This afternoon I visited the Manchester Cotswold shop mentioned earlier and can confirm that they
    have a large amount of heavily discounted Montane stuff in their bargain corner on the top floor.
    Have Montane gone bust, or something?

  7. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 20:50:15 +0000, Stuart Baldwin <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Have Montane gone bust, or something?

    Can confirm that Montane are still very much alive and kicking; was in their
    factory shop yesterday :) I suspect new range(s) coming in are reason for
    price reductions currently being seen. All the more reason to grab "a bargain"
    just now.. assuming, of course, you're not buying this stuff as a fashion
    accessory ;-)

    SteveO

    NE Climbers & walkers chat forum; http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

    NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

  8. Brian

    Brian Guest

    On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 12:27:04 +0000, Dave P wrote:

    > I am looking for a cheaper alternative to a Buffalo top.
    > Are there any other similar products or would you
    > recommend sticking to the brand?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave

    What are the advantages of Buffalo type tops?

    --
    Brian

  9. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 13:47:06 -0000, "Jhimmy" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    Re.: Montane factory shop

    >Is this the factory shop at Ashington, Steve? If so are
    >there any bargains. What's the prices like?

    Yes it is in Ashuntun, the prices are pretty good overall
    tho' there's no guarantee what stock they'll have; stock at
    the mo' is pretty good but I've been in when its been the
    opposite. Picked up one of those soopa-doopa almost-weighs-
    nothing Pertex jackets on my visit @ 30UKP instead of 50 (I
    went for the Lite-Speed the one with the hood... visions of
    freezin' me **nads off on a spring-time belay, getting
    caught short without a jacket by balmy spring sunshine was
    the motivation ;-) The other jacket, no hood, is 25ukp

    SteveO

    NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
    http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

    NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

  10. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Brian <[email protected]> writes:

    > What are the advantages of Buffalo type tops?

    Light weight.

    The list of disadvantages is a good deal longer.

    --
    Nick Kew

  11. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Judith <[email protected]> writes
    >On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 14:04:59 +0000, Steve Orrell wrote:
    >
    >>>Is this the factory shop at Ashington, Steve? If so are
    >>>there any bargains. What's the prices like?
    >>
    >>Yes it is in Ashuntun
    >
    >Which county is Ashington in?

    Nof'umberlund

    http://www.montane.co.uk/contact.htm

    > I can find three on Autoroute (and if it's the one in
    > Somerset then I could pop in on Friday as I'll be within
    > 20 miles).

    Unfortunately not.

    >I've had a Montane jacket for about ten years and, apart
    >from the puller coming off both ends of the zip, it's been
    >brilliant. I might go for an over-the-head one this
    >time....... although I do find I can only wear the jacket
    >in the depths of winter as it's very warm.
    >
    >Judith

    Like Steve I have a Light Speed Pertex jacket which I am
    very impressed with. I also have the Featherlight smock
    which is great and I just bought a Super Fly waterproof,
    breathable, jacket which weighs in at a hefty 233g (medium).
    Just need some rain to test it now!

    Cotswold Outdoor have a bunch of the Montane gear on special
    offer right now but I managed to resist!

    --

    http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/

  12. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Bernie Hughes" <[email protected]> writes:
    >> > What are the advantages of Buffalo type tops?
    >>
    >> Light weight.
    >>
    >> The list of disadvantages is a good deal longer.
    >
    > Intriguing. Go on then...

    Too warm when you exercise. Too cold when you don't. Gets
    sweaty very quickly when you exercise - and tends towards
    smelliness much more than fleece/goretex. No protection
    against serious rain. Or serious anything else.

    --
    Nick Kew

  13. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected]?.?.invalid writes

    ><{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>bought a Super Fly waterproof, breathable, jacket which
    >>weighs in at a hefty 233g (medium). Just need some rain to
    >>test it now!
    >
    >No inclination to stand in the shower wearing it? All in
    >the name of science, of course!

    Showaz is fur wusses!

    --

    http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/

  14. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Rifleman" <[email protected]> writes:
    > "Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:76k2i1-
    > [email protected]
    >> No protection against serious rain.
    >
    > They aren't designed to be waterproof. They are designed
    > to keep you warm when wet. They work very well.

    My track suit keeps me warm and comfortable when wet. As
    does fleece. Either of them have additional advantages,
    like staying dry in anything short of heavy rain (the
    buffalo gets drenched in sweat regardless) and smelling a
    lot better during/after use. The buffalo, by contrast,
    makes it very hard to stay warm if you stop exercising, and
    even makes a change of clothes problematic due to being
    drenched in sweat.

    --
    Nick Kew

  15. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Nick Kew
    <[email protected]> writes
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Rifleman" <[email protected]> writes:
    >> "Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:76k2i1-
    >> [email protected]
    >>> No protection against serious rain.
    >>
    >> They aren't designed to be waterproof. They are designed
    >> to keep you warm when wet. They work very well.
    >
    >My track suit keeps me warm and comfortable when wet. As
    >does fleece. Either of them have additional advantages,
    >like staying dry in anything short of heavy rain (the
    >buffalo gets drenched in sweat regardless) and smelling a
    >lot better during/after use. The buffalo, by contrast,
    >makes it very hard to stay warm if you stop exercising, and
    >even makes a change of clothes problematic due to being
    >drenched in sweat.

    You are obviously running too hot in the Buffalo. In
    appropriate conditions they do not become drenched in sweat
    - but appropriate conditions for the original pile / pertex
    are a bit cold.

    I have been very pleased with mine since I bought it 15
    years ago but I only use it when it is appropriately cold.

    --

    http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/

  16. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Bernie Hughes <[email protected]> writes
    >"Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:76k2i1-
    >[email protected]
    >> In article <[email protected]
    >> binary.blueyonder.co.uk>, "Bernie Hughes"

    >> > Intriguing. Go on then...
    >>
    >> Too warm when you exercise. Too cold when you don't. Gets
    >> sweaty very quickly when you exercise - and tends towards
    >> smelliness much more than fleece/goretex. No protection
    >> against serious rain. Or serious anything else.

    But great in yer average conditions (as long as it is cold
    enough that you don't overheat)

    >Very comprehensive! I've never so much as seen a Buffalo
    >top. Is it like Paramo?

    It is a pertex shell (windporoof / showerproof) over a
    fibrepile liner. New variants have lighter weight pile or
    thin fleece.

    http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/

    --

    http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/

  17. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Brian wrote:

    > What are the advantages of Buffalo type tops?

    They replace 4 layers of clothing (base layer, mid layer,
    jacket and shell). The disadvantage, of course, is that they
    replace 4 layers of clothing and you can't remove 3 of them.

    They're very warm, windproof and they keep out enough rain
    that what does get in won't cool you off too much and they
    dry out fast. They are, in fact, using the same principle
    as the "soft shell" clothing currently being hawked by
    everyone as if it's some fantastic new idea! The various
    vents mean you've got some options not to overheat, though
    in practice I find they're not enough and suffer terribly
    from overheating unless I'm standing around doing nothing
    on a cold day.

    If you don't "run hot" like me they seem to be very good.
    Note that the ones with a thick pile will be quite a bit
    hotter than the ones with a light fleece inner (but I even
    found the similar top from Paramo with a liner like a
    microfleece cooked me thoroughly, even with all the vents
    open to let in the wind and rain!).

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
    33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177

  18. Rifleman

    Rifleman Guest

  19. Mark Manning

    Mark Manning Guest

    Brian wrote:

    > What are the advantages of Buffalo type tops?

    The real advantage for me, as someone who goes wild
    camping, is that I don't need to fill my pack with
    layers of clothing I'm not using; I adjust the venting
    on the kit rather than having to adjust layers all the
    time: stop to get the shell out when it rains, stop to
    put the shell back when it stops, and so on.

    I've taken to wearing Paramo Viento kit (over a base
    layer) in any season except summer, and am a convert.
    "Normal" Paramo kit, as Pete rightly said, is very
    warm, and the Viento range was designed to be lighter
    and for higher temperatures. I too "run hot", but find
    I can control the temperature of the Viento about as
    well as a layering system, and much more conveniently.
    The trousers deserve praise as extremely comfortable,
    flexible (they convert to shorts), and waterproof (far
    better than any of the overtrousers I've tried).

    The only serious disadvantage of the Paramo kit is that
    it's expensive, because you're buying one garment that
    replaces a shell and warmware, and paying about the
    same as you would for both. It's also not *completely*
    waterproof; any rain that gets in moves out very fast,
    but it won't keep you totally dry. This may, or may
    not, be an issue for you.

    Just my 2p! Mark
    --
    Mark Manning [email protected]