Buffing a Crankset?

Kyle.B.H

Guest
Hola,

I have a 10 year old RX-100 crankset that's seen heavy use and is starting to look like it - it's
now a dull gray with lots of dings and scratches. What can I do to safely improve its appearance?

Thanks,

Kyle

"Kyle.B.H" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hola,
>
> I have a 10 year old RX-100 crankset that's seen heavy use and is starting to look like it - it's
> now a dull gray with lots of dings and scratches. What can I do to safely improve its appearance?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kyle

Get out the Autosol and the buffing wheel!

Cheers,

Scott..

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:01:27 GMT, "Kyle.B.H" <[email protected]> may
have said:

>Hola,
>
>I have a 10 year old RX-100 crankset that's seen heavy use and is starting to look like it - it's
>now a dull gray with lots of dings and scratches. What can I do to safely improve its appearance?

Get some Nevr-Dull from your local hardware store. It won't remove the dings and scratches, but
it'll bring back the shine between them.

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:01:27 GMT, "Kyle.B.H" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hola,
>
>I have a 10 year old RX-100 crankset that's seen heavy use and is starting to look like it - it's
>now a dull gray with lots of dings and scratches. What can I do to safely improve its appearance?

://www.google.com/groups?q=buffing+group:rec.bicycles.*+author:john+author:everett&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
8&oe=UTF-8&selm=rmoenu8gne8k5hjdiqhg73pic92qfpvg3f%404ax.com&rnum=1

Did anyone else laugh out loud when the read this subject line?

..... and I'm not admitting to anything!

Tom (just wondering)

tcmedara wrote:
> Did anyone else laugh out loud when the read this subject line?
>
> ..... and I'm not admitting to anything!

Go ride your trainer!

Bill "not making cracks about using that bad wing, either" S.

Originally posted by Kyle.B.H
Hola,

I have a 10 year old RX-100 crankset that's seen heavy use and is starting to look like it - it's
now a dull gray with lots of dings and scratches. What can I do to safely improve its appearance?

Thanks,

Kyle

Polishing compound (get it at any of the 'mart' stores) will work as well.

"Kyle.B.H" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<XU1%b.55651$Xp.265789@attbi_s54>...
> Hola,
>
> I have a 10 year old RX-100 crankset that's seen heavy use and is starting to look like it - it's
> now a dull gray with lots of dings and scratches. What can I do to safely improve its appearance?

1. Remove crankarms and chainrings.
2. Thoroughly clean everything.
3. Remove deep dings and scratches with with 600 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper used wet.
4. Polish entire crankarm with rubbing compound (available at any auto supply store).
5. Polish the entire crankarm with polishing compound (also available at auto parts stores).
6. Sit back and admire your handiwork.
7. Reassemble the crankset, using grease on all threads and metal-to-metal contact points.
8. Clean the rest of the bike, because it's going to look real ugly in comparison to those nice,
shiny crankarms.

Be prepared to do this every six months to a year, since you've now removed the protective
anodization from your crankarms. They'll develop a layer of oxidized aluminum and turn gray
again PDQ.

Jeff (been there, done that)

Kyle.B.H wrote:

> Hola,
>
> I have a 10 year old RX-100 crankset that's seen heavy use and is starting to look like it - it's
> now a dull gray with lots of dings and scratches. What can I do to safely improve its appearance?

Wet 'n' dry paper followed by T-Cut did it for my old DX cranks.

On 26 Feb 2004 10:35:20 -0800, [email protected] (Jeff Wills) may
have said:

>"Kyle.B.H" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<XU1%b.55651$Xp.265789@attbi_s54>...
>> Hola,
>>
>> I have a 10 year old RX-100 crankset that's seen heavy use and is starting to look like it - it's
>> now a dull gray with lots of dings and scratches. What can I do to safely improve its appearance?
>>

>1. Remove crankarms and chainrings.
>2. Thoroughly clean everything.
>3. Remove deep dings and scratches with with 600 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper used wet.
>4. Polish entire crankarm with rubbing compound (available at any auto supply store).
>5. Polish the entire crankarm with polishing compound (also available at auto parts stores).
>6. Sit back and admire your handiwork.
>7. Reassemble the crankset, using grease on all threads and metal-to-metal contact points.
>8. Clean the rest of the bike, because it's going to look real ugly in comparison to those nice,
> shiny crankarms.
>
>Be prepared to do this every six months to a year, since you've now removed the protective
>anodization from your crankarms. They'll develop a layer of oxidized aluminum and turn gray
>again PDQ.
>
>Jeff (been there, done that)

Clear topcoat will slow that down. So would a monthly wax job, and that's a lot less work than the
semi-annual buff-out would be.