Bug in the mouth...

OLMO

Feb 26, 2004
...so many close calls, a few rebounds off the lips, cheeks, chin. only a matter of time...

...absolutely terrified of my first bee in the mouth.

Hope it isn't something with a sting!! For the rest just add water and swallow... far easier than trying to cough the bug up...

Well, sting-things aren't always too bad - I'm VERY allergic to bees and I swallowed one once by accident. Luckily it didn't sting me and I'm still around. I was VERY nervous for a while, though...

I am always getting bugs of various types in the vent holes off my helmet. Had on yesterday, had to stop to get it out but it was only a butterfly. A non- stinging bug in the mouth is just protein. Helps in the long climbs.

Originally posted by OLMO
...so many close calls, a few rebounds off the lips, cheeks, chin. only a matter of time...

I have eaten a few bugs...I think I have to return my vegetarian card...

Originally posted by jhuskey
A non- stinging bug in the mouth is just protein. Helps in the long climbs.

...so that's how Gibo got up the Zoncolan so easily... :D

I got a bee sting on the face while riding a few months ago.

Bloody painfull are bee stings. It got caught in my helmet then stung me when it couldn't get out. I guess I'm just lucky it didn't end up in my mouth or nostrils or anything... ouch!

I had one a few weeks back.... while breathing heavily, on the inhale, this bee or bug, came into the mouth and I thought I was going to choke... i kept spitting it and anfter few tries, it came out

Got a rather large insect in the eye the other day, probably the only time I ever went rising without glasses, and "POW!" in the eye.

Bugs are just a good source of protein on a ride. That is how I look at it.

Ron

Here in Florida, the love bugs are breeding like mad....on a good 2 hour ride, I'll see several thousand, seriously.

The trick is to only open your mouth a little and keep your face aimed a little down so that whatever hits the spot is deflected by your teeth....heh

My personal worst was getting hit, or hitting, a massive grasshopper with my forehead.....felt like getting pelted with a rock....lol

Originally posted by stone61cm
Here in Florida, the love bugs are breeding like mad....on a good 2 hour ride, I'll see several thousand, seriously.
My personal worst was getting hit, or hitting, a massive grasshopper with my forehead.....felt like getting pelted with a rock....lol

Actually, lately here in Florida the f'ing dragonflies have been insane, gathering by the bunch over the roads in their usual erratic up/down patterns.

I never thought much about them but getting hit by lots (10+) per ride at 20+ mph... they kind of sting on the chest and arms, never realized how beefy they can be.

Yet between wrap-around glasses, tight collars and clenching my teeth I've felt invincible to bugs... but now thanks to !@# jhuskey (just kidding pal) I now have a whole new fear I never even considered:

>>I am always getting bugs of various types in the vent holes off my helmet.<<

Man, I didn't need to think about that. Feel like I have to duct tape my Giro now.

Around Germiston lake, in the evenings, we get huge numbers of what we call 'miggies' - dunno what you would call them. No real taste but an incredibly irritating ability to get around behind spectacle lenses and into your eyes, up your nose, and even into your lungs. Even worse when you're wearing contact lenses...

Had a bee bounce off my teeth and sting me on the inside of my lip. It only hurt bad for about 10 minutes. Lip swelled up and I had a hard time drinking coffee for a few days. That was the worst part. Good thing I am not allergic.

I'm not in an effected area, but I can't imagine riding in a place that is now swarmed with cicadas - those 3 inch long flying beasts. I've heard that they're estimated to be up to ONE MILLION per acre in some areas. And they're known not to be the most clever flyers. They'll run into anything.

Down here in the DC area they are out in full force. They sound kind of cool. Very loud in some places along the WO&D trail. With so many out there you would think you get hit a lot. Not so. I get hit about 2-3 times per hour of riding.

The problem is that they are big - and they really hurt when they hit you. If you see them coming at you you have the sudden urge to swerve too.

Another problem is that my car is covered in bug juice. This has absolutly nothing to do with cycling. I just hope it doesn't get worse.

had a bee fly into my jersey and sting right on the belly button the other week. nice thing my A riding pals didn't wait or even slow down....

hate to catch bugs in the mouth though. maybe i'll wear a jason hockey mask..

~the turtle

...absolutely terrified of y first bee in the mouth.

I've had two experiences with bees. The first time, as a teen, I was going about 30 mph down a long straight descent when my lip collided with a bee. In the process, it stung my lip, so I continued to ride home and asked my doctor to take me to the doctor, as I was kinda freaked out about being stung on my lip. I think the doctor prescribed some penicillin or something.

The second time, a little more recently, I was coasting pretty fast down a steep residential street and a bee collided with my knuckle, also stinging me. What made this worse is that a couple minutes prior, I had just recovered from a minor slip, turning a wet corner. I can't remember if I continued the ride or returned home.

On a sort of related note, when I was mountain bike riding on a single track in Marin County last week, I saw a small snake slither quickly accross the trail between my wheels. Out of fear and surprise, I let out a loud and dorky "Whooooaaaa!" Not sure what kind of snake it was, but if it was a rattler, I wonder if it would've sprung up and bit me on the leg had one of my wheels touched it. I was spooked for the rest of the ride.

Recently we had a plague of greenfly so I was riding through clouds of them. They covered my legs, arms and I swallowed and regurgitated several of them.
Bee stings are nothing unless you have an allergy.

Hah, nobody can beat my story.

Last summer (when i was just starting cycling and still rode a MTB and wore street clothes) I was out riding on a country road. I heard a buzzing from somewhere but didn't think much of it. I rode on some more, I began to feel a recurring tingle on my legs but again I just ignored it. I got home and began talking to my sister, my parents and my grandmother were all in the room aswell. Al of a sudden there was a buzzing, coming from my trousers!!!!!! Panic-stricken, I had to take off my trousers in front of everyone!

Out came a very, very large bee. I didn't look that healthy, it was walking about but couldn't seem to fly. It must have been in there for at least 15-20 minutes without stinging me!