Bug spray

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by MTBScottie, May 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTBScottie

MTBScottie Guest

With the threat of the West Nile Virus and Lymes Disease high in my area, I was wondering what kind
    of spray any of you are using. Is there anything that will stay on even while sweating?

Tags:

2. Swoosh

Swoosh Guest

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > With the threat of the West Nile Virus and Lymes Disease high in my area, I was wondering what
    > kind of spray any of you are using. Is there anything that will stay on even while sweating?

Never really bothered using bug repellent all that much but with West Nile Virus now making inroads
    in our area I plan on using OFF Skintastic (7% DDT) or trying out the new OFF Botanicals on a more
    consistent basis. If ticks are a problem in your area you may want to consider using Deep Woods OFF
    (25% DDT). I don't know of anything that stays on for a long period while sweating, but I plan on
    carrying some and re-applying during my rides. I'm 50 plus and if infected, West Nile can have more
    serious consequences in my age group.

http://www.mosquitoes.com/off_answers.asp

3. M&M

M&M Guest

[email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > With the threat of the West Nile Virus and Lymes Disease high in my area, I was wondering what
    > kind of spray any of you are using. Is there anything that will stay on even while sweating?

Cutter makes a wipe on insect repellent towellette that is essentially sweat proof and keeps all
    bugs at bay . It does have DEET which keeps the Lyme ticks off . I have found that most bug sprays
    I have used burn the eyes when you sweat and for some reason , I manage to miss a spot with the
    bug spray .

M&M

4. Swoosh wrote:
    >
    > Never really bothered using bug repellent all that much but with West Nile Virus now making
    > inroads in our area I plan on using OFF Skintastic (7% DDT)

Dude, It's _Deet_, not DDT. There's a huge difference. <G>

Barry

5. David Kunz

David Kunz Guest

M&M wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>With the threat of the West Nile Virus and Lymes Disease high in my area, I was wondering what
    >>kind of spray any of you are using. Is there anything that will stay on even while sweating?
    >
    >
    > Cutter makes a wipe on insect repellent towellette that is essentially sweat proof and keeps all
    > bugs at bay . It does have DEET which keeps the Lyme ticks off . I have found that most bug
    > sprays I have used burn the eyes when you sweat and for some reason , I manage to miss a spot
    > with the bug spray .
    >

Mosquites are attraced by your CO2. Unless you're not riding very hard, I'm not sure how much good
    bug repllent will do.

And, be careful with DEET. It's been linked to epiliptic fits in otherwise normal people... nasty
    stuff! (and it will soften plastic, so keep it away from SRAM DRs and levers <GRAD>).

David

6. Swoosh

Swoosh Guest

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Swoosh wrote:
    > >
    > > Never really bothered using bug repellent all that much but with West
    Nile
    > > Virus now making inroads in our area I plan on using OFF Skintastic (7%
    DDT)
    >
    > Dude, It's _Deet_, not DDT. There's a huge difference. <G>
    >
    > Barry

Yes there is, my mistake, early morning.

7. "Swoosh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com>
    wrote
    > in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Swoosh wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Never really bothered using bug repellent all that much but with West
    > Nile
    > > > Virus now making inroads in our area I plan on using OFF Skintastic
    (7%
    > DDT)
    > >
    > > Dude, It's _Deet_, not DDT. There's a huge difference. <G>
    > >
    > > Barry
    >
    > Yes there is, my mistake, early morning.

I was gonna say...

--
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

8. Westie

Westie Guest

"Swoosh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > With the threat of the West Nile Virus and Lymes Disease high in my area, I was wondering what
    > > kind of spray any of you are using. Is there anything that will stay on even while sweating?
    >
    > Never really bothered using bug repellent all that much but with West Nile Virus now making
    > inroads in our area I plan on using OFF Skintastic (7%
    DDT)
    > or trying out the new OFF Botanicals on a more consistent basis. If ticks are a problem in your
    > area you may want to consider using Deep Woods OFF (25% DDT). I don't know of anything that stays
    > on for a long period while sweating, but I plan on carrying some and re-applying during my rides.
    I'm
    > 50 plus and if infected, West Nile can have more serious consequences in
    my
    > age group.
    >
    > http://www.mosquitoes.com/off_answers.asp
    >
    >
    >

Yep. And if it doesn't work on the bugs you can always use it on the weeds.
    :)
    --
    Westie

9. M&M

M&M Guest

David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > M&M wrote:
    > > [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > >>With the threat of the West Nile Virus and Lymes Disease high in my area, I was wondering what
    > >>kind of spray any of you are using. Is there anything that will stay on even while sweating?
    > >
    > >
    > > Cutter makes a wipe on insect repellent towellette that is essentially sweat proof and keeps
    > > all bugs at bay . It does have DEET which keeps the Lyme ticks off . I have found that most
    > > bug sprays I have used burn the eyes when you sweat and for some reason , I manage to miss a
    > > spot with the bug spray .
    > >
    >
    > Mosquites are attraced by your CO2. Unless you're not riding very hard, I'm not sure how much good
    > bug repllent will do.
    >
    > And, be careful with DEET. It's been linked to epiliptic fits in otherwise normal people... nasty
    > stuff! (and it will soften plastic, so keep it away from SRAM DRs and levers <GRAD>).
    >
    > David

The Cutter keeps EVERYTHING ( especially mosquitos )away when I ride
    . It works even on areas of your body you may miss applying . I am hyper sensitive to stinging
    insect bites . Yes it works ESPECIALLY when I ride hard . I know that Mosquitos are attracted by
    CO2 that is why I use it . It works for me , but it may not work on the next person so it may be a
    wise idea to try different products .

As far as the DEET goes , it is the only thing that kills the Lyme tick (I happen to live in a
    one of those states that has a heavy population of lyme ticks) , don't use it near your eyes or
    mouth or near Spandex and shower after riding . I use the products with DEET because I know some
    people who have had treatment for Lyme desease and it is not a pretty sight watching them with
    IV bags filled with antibiotics attached to a shunt in their arms . A lot of times people often
    wait till it is too late to be tested because the symptoms resemble that of some common ailments
    like a slight fever associated with a cold or stiff achy joints and flu-like symptoms .

The Lyme shots are still kind of iffy and the verdict is still out on those . Unless you want to
    spend a lot of time getting to know an IV bag attached to you , you might want to stick with
    products containing DEET until something better comes along .

M&M

10. [email protected] wrote:

Ben's 100 "Max Formula" ( contains 95% DEET )

Current and former Military folks will recognize Ultrathon, Which is now availible to the general
    Public as well: http://www.ultrathoninfo.com/about.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.