Bug storm.

MotownBikeBoy

Nov 24, 2012
We have a lot of water here, over 1000 lakes in my county, plus innumerable ponds and wetlands. So, healthy populations of various insects. Currently having big clouds of what I believe are midges down along the shorelines. A joy to ride through, always manage to inhale a few. Tonight was a first, got one in my eye, had to ride home a couple of miles blind in the left eye due to tearing up. Got it out at home with saline eye drops, thank God, so no urgent care trip with a $200 bill.

Reactions: haleylx4
That sounds insane. Eating a few along your ride wont hurt, it's lean protein after all.

Originally Posted by MotownBikeBoy .

Yes, but it didn't help. I guess I could wear my swim goggles.
Yeah goggles are a great look on the bike, you need a pair of these;

MotownBikeBoy said:
Yes, but it didn't help. I guess I could wear my swim goggles.
If you're not wearing glasses that wrap around a bit, you might want to try doing so. I've been using a pair of Rudy Project (just an example) glasses for about 8 years with no bug vs. eye incidents.

Originally Posted by alienator .

If you're not wearing glasses that wrap around a bit, you might want to try doing so. I've been using a pair of Rudy Project (just an example) glasses for about 8 years with no bug vs. eye incidents.

The above Oakleys would be better.

Originally Posted by baker3 .

Yeah goggles are a great look on the bike, you need a pair of these;

They look bloody ridiculous.

Originally Posted by MotownBikeBoy .

Well, I guess there is always the beekeeper's helmet with veil. That will keep them out.
That's the perfect solution.

Funny. Yeah bugs are not fun on a bike ride. You got to shield yourself. They can just sneak up on you or maybe if you are riding fast you are sneaking up on them.

I hate encountering bugs while out on a ride.

One of the roads I used to travel on was quite popular with the flying stag beetles when it was the season for them. Hated riding with them around and hated it even more when one decided to land on my left shoulder while riding along.

I think you should googles, or some nice glasses, maybe sunglasses. I also crazily move my head from one side to another when I encounter bug while biking but I don't think that really could help.

cycle93 said:
I think you should googles, or some nice glasses, maybe sunglasses. I also crazily move my head from one side to another when I encounter bug while biking but I don't think that really could help.
I always use sunglasses of some variety when I'm out riding, and that's just not because of bugs but mud and clay when I've experienced it.

They've become an essential part of my cycling equipment.

Ugh. It's so gross when you swallow some, ahhh. I hate even thinking about it! That is a huge downfall. I don't have to deal with that very much where I live though.