Bugeyed!

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Bean Long, Nov 21, 2005.

  1. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    Any recommendations for clear or lightly tinted glasses/goggles for riding?
    Headed off this morning under cloudy grey skies and left the sunnies off so
    I could see. I usually wear prescription glasses but find these don't offer
    any protection and are a little difficult to get a good, uninterrupted view
    of the road (small lenses) so go naked or with sun glasses mostly. Anyway,
    almost at work and 'thwack!!' a big ugly bug digs his head into my eyeball.
    I kept riding for a short while before the discomfort forced me to stop and
    give my eye a wash from my bottle. Was't till after my shower when I
    arrived at work that I was able to get the bugger out of my eye. The eye is
    still red and inflamed nearly an hour later but much more comfortable thank
    god. Again, any recommendations for eye protection??

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying

    Tags:

  2. On 2005-11-21, Bean Long <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Any recommendations for clear or lightly tinted glasses/goggles for riding?

    I very much like my yellow-tinted glasses. They do an excellent job of
    both protecting my eyes, and improving the contrast on relatively dark
    days (to the point that it's easy to think that you're right to keep
    going without turning on the lights, even well after the point when any
    sane cyclist would have done so.)

    I got mine from the Cancer Council shop in Chadstone.

  3. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Bean Long wrote:
    > Any recommendations for clear or lightly tinted glasses/goggles for riding?
    > Headed off this morning under cloudy grey skies and left the sunnies off so
    > I could see. I usually wear prescription glasses but find these don't offer
    > any protection and are a little difficult to get a good, uninterrupted view
    > of the road (small lenses) so go naked or with sun glasses mostly. Anyway,
    > almost at work and 'thwack!!' a big ugly bug digs his head into my eyeball.
    > I kept riding for a short while before the discomfort forced me to stop and
    > give my eye a wash from my bottle. Was't till after my shower when I
    > arrived at work that I was able to get the bugger out of my eye. The eye is
    > still red and inflamed nearly an hour later but much more comfortable thank
    > god. Again, any recommendations for eye protection??

    As Stuart points out, yellow glasses are good. Personally, I like
    clear ones - in rain I find them a bit more transparent. Your LBS
    should sell them, or if you're after cheapies, you can get safety
    glasses from hardware stores. They may fog up more though, which may
    defeat the purpose!

  4. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    We use clear safety glasses purchased from Bunnings - usually only about $15 and virtually indestructible.

  5. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Bean

    I also wear prescription lenses. Lots of people have sports sunnies
    with a prescription insert, but I don't like them because of
    difficulties cleaning off sweat/snot and fog.

    Prescription sunnies can now be made with a high degree of curve
    (unless you have a really strong script). You can pick out just about
    any pair of full-frame sunnies - wrap around sports types included -
    and they can fit your lenses into them.

    You can also get photo-active lenses. I use one that is pink and goes
    dark purple with UV light - very nice to use.

    My medical cover left me with no extra charge.

    Donga

  6. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2005-11-21, Donga (aka Bruce)
    > Prescription sunnies can now be made with a high degree of curve
    > (unless you have a really strong script). You can pick out just about
    > any pair of full-frame sunnies - wrap around sports types included -
    > and they can fit your lenses into them.
    >
    > You can also get photo-active lenses. I use one that is pink and goes
    > dark purple with UV light - very nice to use.
    >
    > My medical cover left me with no extra charge.

    No extra charge than what?

    And what medical cover -- private medical?

    Is there anything for poor students on a medicare card to get cheap
    prescription cycling sunnies?

    --
    TimC

  7. After getting a tip off from Tam, I picked up two pairs of 'sunnies' -
    1 x clear lens, 1 x yellow/orange lens - from the Uni bike shop. Black
    Ice brand, only $14/pair.

    I wear contacts now - used to wear glasses. If you have had bad contact
    lens experiences in the past (as I did when I tried them in school
    days), I'd recommend going back and trying again.

    The optometrist gave me 3 pairs from different makers (all monthly
    replacement schedule). Two of them sucked - wanted to claw them out
    after half a day!!. But 1 pair was absolutely perfect, and am so glad
    that I went to the effort.

    Given the improvements in contact lens technology - seriously take the
    time if you haven't before!!

    Cheers and good luck,
    Abby

  8. Ted Linnell

    Ted Linnell Guest

    cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bean Long Wrote:
    >> Any recommendations for clear or lightly tinted glasses/goggles for
    >> riding?

    >We use clear safety glasses purchased from Bunnings - usually only
    >about $15 and virtually indestructible.

    Same here. I have a pair that fit over my prescription glasses, keep
    the wind, rain and bugs out of the eyes.

    Ted.
    | Ted Linnell <[email protected]> |
    | |
    | Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |

  9. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2005-11-22, Absent Husband (aka Bruce)
    > I wear contacts now - used to wear glasses. If you have had bad contact
    > lens experiences in the past (as I did when I tried them in school
    > days), I'd recommend going back and trying again.

    Do they still take too much time, effort, and money? :)

    > The optometrist gave me 3 pairs from different makers (all monthly
    > replacement schedule). Two of them sucked - wanted to claw them out
    > after half a day!!. But 1 pair was absolutely perfect, and am so glad
    > that I went to the effort.

    I suspect optometrists wouldn't have trial pairs in prescriptions of
    +6 and +8.

    > Given the improvements in contact lens technology - seriously take the
    > time if you haven't before!!

    Tis tempting...

    --
    TimC
    mathematician, n.:

  10. Hey TimC,

    I wear the 'monthly' lenses (ie leave the little suckers in for the
    full month, even when sleeping).

    The optometrist recommended I take them out weekly, for an overnight
    soaking in whatever-that-solution-is-called - good for the eyes, and
    extends the active life of the contacts. So every week or so I give the
    eyes a rest from them, and they generally get replaced every 6-8 weeks.
    So time/effort is very, very low.

    Cost is pretty cheap too. My bottle of solution has lasted almost 18
    months now (almost empty...). MBF gave me back most of the cost of the
    contacts themselves, but as I recall, it was less than $200 (before
    rebate) for 6 pairs (years supply).

    Contrast that to when I was in high school. It was like wearing Cling
    Wrap in my eyes. Had to use heaps of eye drops (never use that now),
    and about 3 different solutions to keep them sterile and hydrated. No
    wonder I gave up on them so quickly back then!!

    My optometrist very happily gave me trial pairs - and he had a huge
    stock of them in what looked like covered the whole range of
    prescriptions. I suspect the manufactureres keep them well-stocked with
    freebies so they don't miss out on the 'life-long sales stream'!!

    Seriously - give it a shot. While they obviously aren't for everybody,
    I am very, very pleased I gave them a second go.

    Cheers,
    Blind Abby

  11. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    I'm a stereotypical scientist with lab coat, glasses and thinning hair. We
    have quite a few 'ubergoggles' here in the lab that would probably suit the
    purpose, so I might give them a go... they're just not as stylish as one
    might like when trying to impress passers by when on the bike!

    Thanks for the feedback all.

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying
    "cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Bean Long Wrote:
    > > Any recommendations for clear or lightly tinted glasses/goggles for
    > > riding?

    > We use clear safety glasses purchased from Bunnings - usually only
    > about $15 and virtually indestructible.
    >

    > --
    > cfsmtb

  12. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Tim C wrote:
    >> My medical cover left me with no extra charge.

    >No extra charge than what?
    >And what medical cover -- private medical?

    I meant there was no charge above my private medical cover, i.e.
    Medibank Private with extras, which is worth a new bike a year and I
    never use a fraction of it - hopefully won't, except when I get new
    glasses each year!

    As for poor students, you might be under your parents' cover, or there
    might be a discounted package.

    Donga

  13. alison_b

    alison_b New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2005
    You can get quite inexpensive glasses with a choice of coloured (and clear) lenses which offer good protection and choice of lens to go with the weather. Of course, you can get really expensive ones too :D but they can all break when left in the back of cycling jerseys :eek:

    Keep an eye on probikekit if you use it - I got my current pair there (prorace, i think they are) for 1/2 price when ordering something else a while back. The lenses are a quick change and go far enough around to keep out the bugs.

    The worst bug episode I have had was a large moth in my mouth one evening. That was *truly* one of the most disgusting things ever :(

    I hope the eye is feeling much better,
    ali

  14. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:59:16 +1100, TimC wrote:

    > I suspect optometrists wouldn't have trial pairs in prescriptions of +6
    > and +8.

    +? Why do you want riding glasses - I suspect you can't see anything less
    than about 5m away, and by that stage you're probably flinching anyway...

    Or did you mean -6?

    Give them a go. They'll probably have a box full of trial pairs. I know my
    -2 is a special order as often as not because most people are worse off.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of

  15. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2005-11-22, Random Data (aka Bruce)
    > On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:59:16 +1100, TimC wrote:
    >
    >> I suspect optometrists wouldn't have trial pairs in prescriptions of +6
    >> and +8.

    > +? Why do you want riding glasses - I suspect you can't see anything less
    > than about 5m away, and by that stage you're probably flinching anyway...

    Far sighted. Is that +ve or -ve? I'm pretty sure it's +ve[1].

    > Or did you mean -6?
    >
    > Give them a go. They'll probably have a box full of trial pairs. I know my
    > -2 is a special order as often as not because most people are worse off.

    Yeah. I was in the chemist today, and they have some el-cheapo
    glasses in +0.5 increments[1]. Starting at 1.0 IIRC "weak", and
    finishing at 3.5 "Strongest". Hah! 1.0 is close enough to an optical
    flat, dagnamit! Why would you even need such weak glasses?

    [1] And the glasses confirmed it.

    --
    TimC
    Experiments must be reproducible; they should all fail in the same way.

  16. Euan

    Euan Guest

    TimC> On 2005-11-22, Random Data (aka Bruce) was almost, but not
    TimC> quite, entirely unlike tea:
    >> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:59:16 +1100, TimC wrote:
    >>> I suspect optometrists wouldn't have trial pairs in
    >>> prescriptions of +6 and +8.

    >> +? Why do you want riding glasses - I suspect you can't see
    >> anything less than about 5m away, and by that stage you're
    >> probably flinching anyway...

    TimC> Far sighted. Is that +ve or -ve? I'm pretty sure it's
    TimC> +ve[1].

    Far sighted is positive. I'm +4.75 and +4.5. It has a real impact on
    what eye wear I can use. You must find it even more difficult, you have
    my sympathies.
    --
    Cheers | ~~ [email protected]
    Euan | ~~ _-\<,

  17. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:30:37 +1100, TimC wrote:

    > Far sighted. Is that +ve or -ve? I'm pretty sure it's +ve[1].

    Yep, but I would have suspected that far sighted meant riding was OK.
    While I could in theory look up exactly what a diopter means, it's going
    to be easier to ask - how close can you focus reasonably?

    > Why would you even need such weak glasses?

    Eye strain adds up to headaches over long periods? One of my mates is
    probably about +1 and needs to wear glasses if he wants to sit at a screen
    for more than 1 day a week.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of
    cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses" - Elwood Blues

  18. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2005-11-22, Random Data (aka Bruce)
    > On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:30:37 +1100, TimC wrote:
    >
    >> Far sighted. Is that +ve or -ve? I'm pretty sure it's +ve[1].

    > Yep, but I would have suspected that far sighted meant riding was OK.
    > While I could in theory look up exactly what a diopter means, it's going
    > to be easier to ask - how close can you focus reasonably?

    My default focus is well past infinity, as you would expect, however,
    I can focus down to 10cm or so. For a few seconds. I used to be able
    to read all day -- during my last year of high school, at the height
    of my vanity, I didn't wear my glasses at all, despite not having
    contacts, without the knowledge that of course, when I am focussing
    in, my eyes have gone cross eyed.

    I can probably commute in without optical correction -- hell, as it
    is, for some reason I end up looking over the top of my glasses most
    of the time anyway.

    --
    TimC
    Is it because do me reconcile my life that I say perhaps your plans

  19. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Bean Long wrote:

    > Any recommendations for clear or lightly tinted glasses/goggles for riding?
    > Headed off this morning under cloudy grey skies and left the sunnies off so
    > I could see. I usually wear prescription glasses but find these don't offer
    > any protection and are a little difficult to get a good, uninterrupted view
    > of the road (small lenses) so go naked or with sun glasses mostly. Anyway,
    > almost at work and 'thwack!!' a big ugly bug digs his head into my eyeball.
    > I kept riding for a short while before the discomfort forced me to stop and
    > give my eye a wash from my bottle. Was't till after my shower when I
    > arrived at work that I was able to get the bugger out of my eye. The eye is
    > still red and inflamed nearly an hour later but much more comfortable thank
    > god. Again, any recommendations for eye protection??

    I have clear ones that cost $15 at my bike shop - you can get
    interchangeable lenses but I prefer to wear my other sunnies and just
    keep the clear ones in my jersey pocket when I ride (in a sock if I
    have lots to carry). Haven't had any bug incidents and they're well
    ventilated. Given you don't use them in fair daytime weather, for glare
    reduction, etc., I don't see the point in getting fancy ones.

    Tam

  20. TimC wrote:

    > Yeah. I was in the chemist today, and they have some el-cheapo
    > glasses in +0.5 increments[1]. Starting at 1.0 IIRC "weak", and
    > finishing at 3.5 "Strongest". Hah! 1.0 is close enough to an optical
    > flat, dagnamit! Why would you even need such weak glasses?

    Which chemist?
    And are these the ones made for asian heads?

    I've found these in a $2 shop and a service station, but all too small.