Build a bike or buy it whole?

Kodias

May 28, 2010
Hi,

I'm looking to get myself a hybrid bike thats relatively cheap but still a quality good looking bike, my max price would be around £350.

I was wondering if it would be cheaper buying a bike brand new or finding parts from here and there and putting it together myself?

Kodias said:
I'm looking to get myself a hybrid bike thats relatively cheap but still a quality good looking bike, my max price would be around £350.

I was wondering if it would be cheaper buying a bike brand new or finding parts from here and there and putting it together myself?
If you already have the tools, or access to tools, and if you are a wise shopper then you will have a better bike when you are done if you put it together than if you were to buy one from a bike shop.

If you don't have the tools and you don't know what you are doing, then you can certainly spend more and end up with something that will subsequently require the assistance of someone else (e.g., a bike shop which will probably charge you £20-to-£50 to get your bike roadworthy).

It's not clear to me whether JAMIS is available in the UK, but even if it isn't you should look at the base model of the JAMIS CODA as a benchmark against which you might want to judge other bikes OR what you can get in your price range (not counting VAT) -- the retail price is $550(US) ... the wholesale price must be in the $400 range ...

As in the States, I presume bikes go on sale near the beginning of July in the rest of the World as shops begin to clear out current inventory and get ready for next year's inventory ... look for a 20% reduction off of retail.

BTW. Don't double post your queries in the future just because you don't receive an instantaneous reply -- I mean less than 15 minutes between duplicating a query is being a bit over anxious, isn't it?

The response from alfeng is partially incorrect. You get your best deal if you buy the bike with the components because component manufactures supply their parts to bike manufacture far cheaper then what they sell the components alone to a buyer. Where he is correct is that buying a frame then piece it together allows you to to pick and choose, mix and match, whichever parts you want, but it will cost more. The danger to all of this is making sure all the various components compatible.

My 84 Trek 660 was purchased as a frame then I had the entire Suntour Superbe line put on it because I wanted Suntour not the mix match stuff that stock 660 came with from Trek. so I paid a bit more then a stock 660 even after getting everything wholesale (the dealer knew me).

By the way you don't need to post the same question twice. If no one responds in 24 hours simply go to your original post and reply to your own post with a ? or such to bump it up to current time so more people will see it again.

I'm at the tail end of my build. It's a 2007 Specialized Transition Comp E5 tri/tt bike. Definitely not going to be cheaper than if i had bought it complete. BUT....like Froze mentioned, I will be putting on the parts that I WANT. Meaning, I've upgraded many parts. It's a bit of a pain to go through compatibility issues as well. But at the end....it's going to make me feel better that I chose everything and put it together. To keep costs down, you'll have to be VERY patient at finding deals. PATIENCE hurts.

Thanks for these answers guys.

alfeng said:
BTW. Don't double post your queries in the future just because you don't receive an instantaneous reply -- I mean less than 15 minutes between duplicating a query is being a bit over anxious, isn't it?
Froze said:
By the way you don't need to post the same question twice. If no one responds in 24 hours simply go to your original post and reply to your own post with a ? or such to bump it up to current time so more people will see it again.

:eek: Jeez, don't call the lynch mob just yet. Its only natural for me to refresh the page when I'm presented with a blank page after submitting a thread - probably something that should be looked into!

Thanks for the quick lessons on forum etiquette as well but its likely I'm more in tune with this stuff than you guys are :)

Kodias said:
Hi,

If you know what you're doing, building yours could be loads of fun and sometimes, cheaper too.

Cheers.:rolleyes:

Kodias said:
Thanks for these answers guys.

:eek: Jeez, don't call the lynch mob just yet. Its only natural for me to refresh the page when I'm presented with a blank page after submitting a thread - probably something that should be looked into!

Thanks for the quick lessons on forum etiquette as well but its likely I'm more in tune with this stuff than you guys are :)

Settle down man, we're not a lynch mob, we're just trying to help you. If you read my post all you need to do to bump the tread to current time is to reply to your own thread with a ? , did you get that? or is this beyond your comprehension? :(

briancromwell said:
If you know what you're doing, building yours could be loads of fun and sometimes, cheaper too.

Cheers.:rolleyes:

From what I've seen after a bit of looking around on ebay etc, the parts are usually more expensive by themselves so I'll probably end up looking for a complete bike.

Froze said:
If you read my post all you need to do to bump the tread to current time is to reply to your own thread with a ? , did you get that? or is this beyond your comprehension? :(

It looks like what I just said was beyond your comprehension so I'll have to explain, again. I had no intention of bumping the thread, I was presented with a blank page after posting my thread instead of the usual 'your thread has been submitted' page, so naturally I refreshed the page which caused the thread to be submitted twice.

Comprende?

Kodias said:
It looks like what I just said was beyond your comprehension so I'll have to explain, again. I had no intention of bumping the thread, I was presented with a blank page after posting my thread instead of the usual 'your thread has been submitted' page, so naturally I refreshed the page which caused the thread to be submitted twice.

Comprende?

No me no comprender porque soy un ilegal. If a thread is submitted twice you can delete either the first of second your choice AFTER the page refreshed. Comprender? That's is the correct translation of comprehend, your spelling means comprehension thus: comprehension? does not make sense and is not the proper way to ask the question but rather: comprehend? or comprender. And comprehension is comprensivo. now Spanish class is dismissed.

Froze said:
No me no comprender porque soy un ilegal. If a thread is submitted twice you can delete either the first of second your choice AFTER the page refreshed. Comprender? That's is the correct translation of comprehend, your spelling means comprehension thus: comprehension? does not make sense and is not the proper way to ask the question but rather: comprehend? or comprender. And comprehension is comprensivo. now Spanish class is dismissed.

Firstly, congratulations on knowing a little Spanish, how I envy you. Comprende, however, is not Spanish. Urban Dictionary mate, get with the times.

I've never been a member of a forum that allows you to delete your own threads so this time I've decided not to take your word for it, thanks anyway.

Kodias said:

Comprende?

Yep, getting a blank screen after you click the "submit" button does happen every once in a while, Kodias. And there are multiple posts because of it every week.

It happens to me too, so I don't get too concerned when I see posts right together. I know it's just slow server response....

Kodias said:
Firstly, congratulations on knowing a little Spanish, how I envy you. Comprende, however, is not Spanish. Urban Dictionary mate, get with the times.

I've never been a member of a forum that allows you to delete your own threads so this time I've decided not to take your word for it, thanks anyway.

I don't know Spanish silly...they have translators available on the internet, so I just typed what I wanted to say and they said it, thus I typed in different forms of the same word and they translated it into those forms I gave you. Isn't the world wide web grand?

There is a way to delete a thread, though admittedly I haven't done it here yet, but most forums will allow you to edit your response by simply deleting all that you wrote and then just place a . as the only entry. Most people won't respond to a . but every once in awhile someone might to be funny or whatever.

Kodias said:
Hi,

buy a complete bike used or new...

Froze said:
I don't know Spanish silly...they have translators available on the internet

My respect for you has dropped even lower.

rparedes said:
buy a complete bike used or new...

Thats what I thought, thanks.

64Paramount said:
It happens to me too, so I don't get too concerned when I see posts right together. I know it's just slow server response....

A fine example of how to act when this situation arises, thank you 64Paramount!

Kodias said:
My respect for you has dropped even lower.

I'm not your drill sergeant thus I don't care if you respect me, besides if you knew what I did for a living you would drop it even further!! Speaking of jobs, I walked away from mine today! how's that for respect? Why, because I can no longer work for this government and current administration; don't ask, I can't tell, but the schit's about to hit the ceiling then fall down on all of us.