Build a wheelset or bye ?

picos

Sep 10, 2006
Dear friends,

i have the botranger select wheels on my Orca onix bike.
In 2007 i made 5000km
in 2008 i ve already done 4200 on the road (training randonnes and races)
and 200 km on my tacx trainer.
I weight 85kg

today during my training outside i had a broken spoke in my rear wheel , it was the second time that this happened the other one was i year ago during a randonne event of 600km.

do you think is better to build a wheelset containg this spares

mavic rim
dt swiss spokes 40 spokes
dura ace or ultegra hub

or with the same cost buy the botarnger Race Lite 700C 2008 (18 spokes)

the use will be the same as above , long distances, races, and inside training

thank u

There's no good reason to buy Bontrager's paired spoke wheels, unless you enjoy wheels that are unrideable when a spoke breaks.

Have sumpin' built.

alienator said:
There's no good reason to buy Bontrager's paired spoke wheels, unless you enjoy wheels that are unrideable when a spoke breaks.

Have sumpin' built.
+1. I enjoy my Bontragers because of the ride, but I only ride them when I am with a group because of the problematic spoke situation. Get a built wheelset, or better yet, build a set yourself:p. It is not hard to learn as long as you have a little patience.

Keep the bonty for shorter/faster rides,and get yourself a strong reliable wheelset built for your long distance/tougher rides. Unlikely you will be able to by a set of wheels off the shelf these days that will suit your type of riding.

Get a good set of rims (mavic or velocity), and 28 or 32 DT spokes on the rear. I'd go for Ultegra or DA hubs depending on your budget.

Phill P said:
Keep the bonty for shorter/faster rides,and get yourself a strong reliable wheelset built for your long distance/tougher rides. Unlikely you will be able to by a set of wheels off the shelf these days that will suit your type of riding.

Get a good set of rims (mavic or velocity), and 28 or 32 DT spokes on the rear. I'd go for Ultegra or DA hubs depending on your budget.

187 pounds, I'd say 32 or 36 spokes on the rear..not 28.

For the OP...Ultegra hubs, Velocity, DT or Mavic rims, 14/15 spokes laced 3 cross thruout, built well.

thank u for your answers , another question

your answers will be the same if i buy the Race X Lite 700C 2008 ?

more spokes = stronger wheel (for a given rim)

Most wheels you buy standard on half decent bikes have very few spokes, and you are breaking spokes rather quickly.

Get a wheel with more spokes, quality spokes, built by somebody with experience.

Im in a simular situation here. Im ~150lbs and struggling with my back wheel, lost 3 spokes in a few months now. I am still on the stock Alex DA22s if I remember correctly (Giant SCR3). My question is will it get worse? Would it be possible to rebuild the wheel with a whole set of new spokes or am I just flogging a dead thing?

I was looking at Fulcrum 5's for a new set in the spring, reveiwers put them as pretty solid but I seem to be quite tough on wheels (I must be awesomely powerful or something :p) they only have 24 spokes on the rear and from what you guys have said i'm going to try and investigate to see if there are more solid options.

Well, I had a set of Bontrager Selects at one pont, and I never broke a spoke, despite being a little heavy at the time, and I rode a lot (hence, no longer heavy!) I went from 240 to 185.

Not for nothing, I bought a pair of Williams Racing wheels, and they seem to be pretty bomb-proof so far, and I ride them pretty hard too. They're basically Chinese-built wheels, but use standard J-spokes. ~1530g. No truing issues after ~600 miles.

But a set of DT wheels were my second choice. I may still get a set at some point.

AngryPenguin said:
Im in a simular situation here. Im ~150lbs and struggling with my back wheel, lost 3 spokes in a few months now. I am still on the stock Alex DA22s if I remember correctly (Giant SCR3). My question is will it get worse? Would it be possible to rebuild the wheel with a whole set of new spokes or am I just flogging a dead thing?

I was looking at Fulcrum 5's for a new set in the spring, reveiwers put them as pretty solid but I seem to be quite tough on wheels (I must be awesomely powerful or something :p) they only have 24 spokes on the rear and from what you guys have said i'm going to try and investigate to see if there are more solid options.

Breaking spokes is a problem with the rim, not the spokes. Rims(aluminum) get warped/deformed and the tension gets erratic. Think of bending a coat hanger back-forth/back-forth-breaks..spokes do the same thing.

The solution is to find a good wheelbuilder to reuse the hub and build you a new wheel..new rims and spokes.

Wheelsouttaboxes are marketing. That wheel, using a low end hub and heavy rim is not the solution, IMO. Having a wheelbuilder design a wheel for you and your specific needs is the way to go, IMHO.

ok i decided to build this one after the advice from an expert :

1) Mavic open pro rims front 28h 435g http://www.starbike.com/php/product_info.php?lang=en&pid=1615
2) mavic open pro rims rear 32h 435 g http://www.starbike.com/php/product_info.php?lang=en&pid=1616
3) Sapim cx ray spokes with nipples (ill check the length when i get the rims) 275 g http://www.starbike.com/php/product_info.php?lang=en&pid=5685
4) Shimano dura ace hb-7800 front hub 188 g
http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycle/products/component.jsp?JSESSIONID=LRTSjvxgsY29wdHJ5gvlczsXL1Bd9MCkJTrqClHn4DnPLS7n18n4!2009607121&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441762966&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302040058&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181419&bmUID=1221661650358
5)Shimano dura ace rear hub fh-7800 264g http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycle/products/component.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441762936&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302040057&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181419&bmUID=1221661806486

the rear wheel will have 3 intersections .

I preffered the dura ace hubs instead of dt 240s or tune mig70/mag 180 hubs because it was cheaper
and for the same reason i ll use sapim cx rays instead of dt aerolites

the bad think is that the set will be 100gr heavier (on the center not on the rim) but i save 150euros -210$ i think is better that way.So ill try to lose some weight :D

the total weight will be 1600gr and the total cost 400euros (564$) plus 40euros (56$) for the mechanic much cheaper than buy a ready 18-20 spokes set.

what do u think?

picos said:
ok i decided to build this one after the advice from an expert :

1) Mavic open pro rims front 28h 435g http://www.starbike.com/php/product_info.php?lang=en&pid=1615
2) mavic open pro rims rear 32h 435 g http://www.starbike.com/php/product_info.php?lang=en&pid=1616
3) Sapim cx ray spokes with nipples (ill check the length when i get the rims) 275 g http://www.starbike.com/php/product_info.php?lang=en&pid=5685
4) Shimano dura ace hb-7800 front hub 188 g
http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycle/products/component.jsp?JSESSIONID=LRTSjvxgsY29wdHJ5gvlczsXL1Bd9MCkJTrqClHn4DnPLS7n18n4!2009607121&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441762966&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302040058&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181419&bmUID=1221661650358
5)Shimano dura ace rear hub fh-7800 264g http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycle/products/component.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441762936&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302040057&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181419&bmUID=1221661806486

the rear wheel will have 3 intersections .

I preffered the dura ace hubs instead of dt 240s or tune mig70/mag 180 hubs because it was cheaper
and for the same reason i ll use sapim cx rays instead of dt aerolites

the bad think is that the set will be 100gr heavier (on the center not on the rim) but i save 150euros -210$ i think is better that way.So ill try to lose some weight :D

the total weight will be 1600gr and the total cost 400euros (564$) plus 40euros (56$) for the mechanic much cheaper than buy a ready 18-20 spokes set.

what do u think?

Some suggestions.

Use DT revolutions on the front 28h laced 2 cross. Use 14/15 DT or Sapim spokes on the rear laced 32 and 3 cross. I think CX-ray or DT aerolight not worth the $, at 3-4 times the price of Revs or double butts.

Use the 7850 rear hub. titanium freehub body, compatible with 8/9/10s and Sram cogsets. 7800 is shimano 10s ONLY.

Peter@vecchios said:
Some suggestions.

Use DT revolutions on the front 28h laced 2 cross. Use 14/15 DT or Sapim spokes on the rear laced 32 and 3 cross. I think CX-ray or DT aerolight not worth the $, at 3-4 times the price of Revs or double butts.

Use the 7850 rear hub. titanium freehub body, compatible with 8/9/10s and Sram cogsets. 7800 is shimano 10s ONLY.
thank u peter.

You are right for the 7850 and for the first point , but here in Greece the condition of the roads is terrible some times, so i prefer a more reliable solution for the spokes even if the cost is rised

I would suggest Mavic/DT rim well built on DA/UT/Chorus hubs if I was replying the thread one year ago. But a pair of old version Fulcrum Racing 5 changed my mind completely on the low end factory-built wheelsets. I had thought these things are fancy crabs, neither strong enough for training nor smooth/light enough for racing. Last season, our team was provided with some Fulcrum R5 wheelsets for training(10 pairs?). I think these are of the 2006 version. So far, we have put 15000-20000KM on most of them, including some hours in rain and some really tough riding on cobbles. Except one front wheel destroyed in a bad crash, all wheels are still in good condition after 1 and half years, no tuning, no hub servicing... I'm really impressed, because some of my teammates are famous for gear killing. Anyway, we are not big guys. The biggest one of us is about 75KG.

Thus, I guess some low end factory-built wheelsets from big brands are OK for training. It will be convenient and even cheaper than the Mavic/DT/DA solution.

alpha2k said:
I would suggest Mavic/DT rim well built on DA/UT/Chorus hubs if I was replying the thread one year ago. But a pair of old version Fulcrum Racing 5 changed my mind completely on the low end factory-built wheelsets. I had thought these things are fancy crabs, neither strong enough for training nor smooth/light enough for racing. Last season, our team was provided with some Fulcrum R5 wheelsets for training(10 pairs?). I think these are of the 2006 version. So far, we have put 15000-20000KM on most of them, including some hours in rain and some really tough riding on cobbles. Except one front wheel destroyed in a bad crash, all wheels are still in good condition after 1 and half years, no tuning, no hub servicing... I'm really impressed, because some of my teammates are famous for gear killing. Anyway, we are not big guys. The biggest one of us is about 75KG.

Thus, I guess some low end factory-built wheelsets from big brands are OK for training. It will be convenient and even cheaper than the Mavic/DT/DA solution.
i had already broke 1 spoke after 4000 and another one after 6000 km on my select botrangers thats why im trying to build smthg stronger and lighter .

picos said:
thank u peter.

You are right for the 7850 and for the first point , but here in Greece the condition of the roads is terrible some times, so i prefer a more reliable solution for the spokes even if the cost is rised

The spokes I mentioned are more reliable as they are thicker.

I think im going for a pair of fulcrum 5's. Mainly becuase I dont have a great LBS, they aren't complete monkeys but I dont think I would trust them to build a nice wheel.

Will let you know how they get on.