Build, Exchange, New? Advice

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Count Dz, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Count Dz

Count Dz New Member

Alright, I have a delimma. As a birthday present I got a '03 Optimum 61 frame from Devinci :eek: . Now as I start to try to get this bad boy up and running, I'm finding that it might be better to buy a new bike? :confused: It seems my options are as follow:

1. I can buy a frame kit & build in from the ground up
    - Shimano 105 $725, carbon fiber fork $250, wheels $300, cables & brakes ect. $200, LBS build it $125=$1600
    2. I can buy another bike and steal parts, either a Raleigh or Giant w/ 105 kit around a $1000 still need- probably a carbon fork $250+ LBS exchange parts $150 =$1400
    3. Buy a Devinci Podium that has 61 frame for $1400 w/ Campy Volace and sell the damn birthday present. Or maybe I'll keep it and upgrade everything to it later.

Also my options are leaning towards the last 2 because of the ability for lawaway as I don't have this kind of money under my mattress.

As far as my riding skills/time which I know is a factor. I am riding a 100 miles a week on a Diamonback mountain bike w/ full suspension. I am commuting, I have no car(don't want one either) so this is definately a investment for me as I will be putting some miles on it. And I also would like to do a Century before the end of the year.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Dale

Tags:

2. mikeshea

mikeshea New Member

Dale,

I would do some shopping - a full 105 kit should be cheaper than $725 including the hubs. I bought a reduced ultegra group on sale from Colorado Cyclist and picked up new wheels on sale at Nashbar this summer to go with my new frame that I bought on ebay! You should be able to get on the road with a really neat bike for <$1000. You will be in shock how fast you go compared to that mountainbike,

MS

3. Randybaker99

Randybaker99 New Member

I agree, that you can get better prices.

Still, I would go with option 3. Unless you have a lot of spare time, it is going to take a couple of months to get all the pieces researched, assembled and fine tuned. If you want to do some significant riding this year, you may want to fast-track the process with a complete bike.

BTW, who gives a frame as a birthday present? No one I know!

4. Count Dz

Count Dz New Member

Ah yes for all those who care I did go with door #3. As you pointed out I wanted to get out from under my tRusty ol' mountain bike and move into something with a little more pick up. Alas, I have not yet been able to get my bike out of layaway but it's waiting for me as soon as hit the lotto ;). As far as who buys a frame for birthdays? I do have some really Good Friends who got a great deal, or at least that what I was told. And no it isn't HOT! But it does look cool hanging on my wall :eek: Just kidding. After I get the new one out of layaway I figure I'll be able to upgrade everything to the Millenium frame by spring along with a few major componet changes :D. Thanks for your advice.