Build List

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Ghr7891, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Ghr7891

Ghr7891 New Member

Does anyone have a list of everything that I will need to build a bike. It would really help me out.
    -Thanks

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Clear down to spoke nipples, indivudal ball bearings and misc nutts and bolts? Depends on what kind of bike too. Look at www.excelsports.com and www.colorado cyclist.com and their 'build kits'.

3. Ghr7891

Ghr7891 New Member

Thanks I will check those out

4. KGnagey

KGnagey New Member

Frame
    Fork
    Wheels - hubs, spokes, rims, tires, tubes, rim strips, quick releases
    seat post - seat post clamp (if not part of frame)
    saddle
    headset
    stem
    handle bar
    grips (or tape for road bike)
    cables & housing - derailure & brake, cable ends, housing caps
    brakes - calipers and levers
    shifters - front and rear (not needed if single speed)
    derailures - front and rear (not needed if single speed)
    chain
    cogset or single rear cog
    cranks - chain ring(s), chain ring bolts
    pedals
    bottom bracket
    (I don't think I missed anything)

Also need the proper tools to assemble everything. The parts can be bought as a groupo and wheels can be bought pre-built.

Good luck and have fun shopping!!!

5. Ghr7891

Ghr7891 New Member

Thanks, I think I will bring it to the shop if I cant do it myself.

6. Ghr7891

Ghr7891 New Member

I mean if I dont have the tools. I wish I could go shopping I am a 16 year old on a tight budget. I am planning on buying everything over time and by late this spring have a new bike that I will hopefully be in shape to ride (Rugby season starts this week and in the fall I hurt my back so bad I could not partake in anything even remotely physical).

7. hard_rock_god

hard_rock_god New Member

a good rull of thum is to just add about $300-500+ to the price of your frame what ever you choose this is for the price of wheels and components and if you frame dosn't come with forks they can cost you anywhere from 200-600 more so i would suggest not holding back on the frame if your going to save up and buy parts one at a time

i recently finished my 96 hardrock and after deore components, deore lx crankset, and mavic wheels the grand price came to about 450-500 dolars (it realy didn't seem like i was paying that much to have a nice bike and realy gets me down when i concider that i could of bought a brand new auluminum complete hardrock for about 225 dolars used at my LBS) any way i payed about 75 for frame and forks and the price of tools will also factor in and put me over 600 dolars

i would recomend buying the right tool for the right job at local bike shop and not breaking parts by using a screw driver and hammer to work on the bike
    some bike shops are nice enough to do small jobs for free (instalation of BB Instal of cassette and not to much moremaybe the wheels to the frame)