Build wheel truing maching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scott C

It is possible to build a wheel truing machine? I've been thinking about it, and it does not appear
that it would be to hard.. anyone done this?

Comments on doing this? recommendations?

Thanks

Scott

> It is possible to build a wheel truing machine? I've been thinking about it, and it does not
> appear that it would be to hard.. anyone done this?
>
> Comments on doing this? recommendations?
>
> Thanks
>
> Scott

Ever heard the expression about reinventing the wheel?

Such machines exist and are busy right now pumping out thousands of wheels. They certainly save a
lot in labor costs, the reason for their development, but they cannot build wheels to the same
standard of quality as hand-built, hand-trued and stress relieved. The last step is essential for
long lasting wheels.

Machine-built wheels can be a bargain, but anyone buying them would be wise to check the tension and
true, and stress relieve them.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:24:46 -0700, Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote:
>> It is possible to build a wheel truing machine? I've been thinking about and it does not appear
>> that it would be to hard.. anyone done this?

> Such machines exist and are busy right now pumping out thousands of wheels. They certainly save a
> lot in labor costs, the reason for their

I thought he was asking about making a home-made wheel truing stand, rather than having to pay $50
for a cheap one (or $150 for a good one!).

That said, I'd like to ask...how about it? Probably not worth it; $50 isn't all that terrible.

--
Rick Onanian

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

>Ever heard the expression about reinventing the wheel?
>
>Such machines exist and are busy right now pumping out thousands of wheels. They certainly save a
>lot in labor costs, the reason for their development, but they cannot build wheels to the same
>standard of quality as hand-built, hand-trued and stress relieved. The last step is essential for
>long lasting wheels.

IIRC our very own wheel guru Jobst said that there are machines that can build very good wheels.
What happens is that when the machine is asked to build high tension wheels with very close
tolerances, it takes much longer. Since time is money, the machine operators trade off tension
and trueness to get more wheels out of the machines. The new machines can even stress relieve
the spokes.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

I have not seen wheel truing stands for $50 or I'd more than likely buy one. I would like to build
one, but after talking to local bike shops, maybe using the frame of the bike is the best answer?? I
don't need PERFECT.. but better (if possible) than the bike off the shop floor.

sc

"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:24:46 -0700, Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> It is possible to build a wheel truing machine? I've been thinking
about
> >> and it does not appear that it would be to hard.. anyone done this?
>
> > Such machines exist and are busy right now pumping out thousands of wheels. They certainly save
> > a lot in labor costs, the reason for their
>
> I thought he was asking about making a home-made wheel truing stand, rather than having to pay $50
> for a cheap one (or $150 for a good one!).
>
> That said, I'd like to ask...how about it? Probably not worth it; $50 isn't all that terrible.
>
> --
> Rick Onanian

> >Such machines exist and are busy right now pumping out thousands of wheels. They certainly save a
> >lot in labor costs, the reason for their development, but they cannot build wheels to the same
> >standard of quality as hand-built, hand-trued and stress relieved. The last step is essential for
> >long lasting wheels.
>
> IIRC our very own wheel guru Jobst said that there are machines that can build very good wheels.
> What happens is that when the machine is asked to build high tension wheels with very close
> tolerances, it takes much longer. Since time is money, the machine operators trade off tension
> and trueness to get more wheels out of the machines. The new machines can even stress relieve
> the spokes.
> -----------------
> Alex

Thanks for that update. Now that you remind me, I recall the same thing.

By the way, does anyone know where Jobst is? Hopefully he's just on vacation. I hope he hasn't
become to exasperated with some of us to hang out here anymore.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

I think that http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=15314&Store=Bike is what I was
referring to, and now it's down to $30. I think I'll buy one.

I do it against the bike frame, and am very happy with the results. After I'm done, as I sight down
the wheel while riding, it appears perfect; and my brakes never rub. That's sufficient for me!

Tips: Use white-out or paint or a marker to mark spots that need attention.

Don't turn one spoke a lot. Turn a bunch of spokes a little bit each. Make sure to both tighten
spokes on one side and loosen on the other.

Pluck the spokes like a harp and listen to their tone. On a perfect rim with a perfect hub and
perfect spokes, same-length spokes should make the same note. I think. Either way, plucking them
helps identify excessively loose or tight spokes.

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:25:38 GMT, Scott C <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have not seen wheel truing stands for $50 or I'd more than likely buy one. I would like to build
> one, but after talking to local bike shops, maybe using the frame of the bike is the best answer??
> I don't need PERFECT.. but better (if possible) than the bike off the shop floor.
>
> sc
>
> "Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
>> On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:24:46 -0700, Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >> It is possible to build a wheel truing machine? I've been thinking
> about
>> >> and it does not appear that it would be to hard.. anyone done this?
>>
>> > Such machines exist and are busy right now pumping out thousands of wheels. They certainly save
>> > a lot in labor costs, the reason for
>> their
>>
>> I thought he was asking about making a home-made wheel truing stand, rather than having to pay
>> $50 for a cheap one (or $150 for a good one!).
>>
>> That said, I'd like to ask...how about it? Probably not worth it; $50 isn't all that terrible.
>>
>> -- Rick Onanian
>
>
>

--
Rick Onanian

This is 'way cool' - both local shops have them in stock. I'll pick one up in the next day or two.

thanks

sc

"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> I think that http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=15314&Store=Bike is what I was
> referring to, and now it's down to $30. I think I'll buy one.
>
> I do it against the bike frame, and am very happy with the results. After I'm done, as I
> sight down the wheel while riding, it appears perfect; and my brakes never rub. That's
> sufficient for me!
>
> Tips: Use white-out or paint or a marker to mark spots that need attention.
>
> Don't turn one spoke a lot. Turn a bunch of spokes a little bit each. Make sure to both tighten
> spokes on one side and loosen on the other.
>
> Pluck the spokes like a harp and listen to their tone. On a perfect rim with a perfect hub and
> perfect spokes, same-length spokes should make the same note. I think. Either way, plucking them
> helps identify excessively loose or tight spokes.
>
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:25:38 GMT, Scott C <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I have not seen wheel truing stands for $50 or I'd more than likely buy one. I would like to
> > build one, but after talking to local bike shops, maybe using the frame of the bike is the best
> > answer?? I don't need PERFECT.. but better (if possible) than the bike off the shop floor.
> >
> > sc
> >
> > "Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> >> On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:24:46 -0700, Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> >> It is possible to build a wheel truing machine? I've been thinking
> > about
> >> >> and it does not appear that it would be to hard.. anyone done this?
> >>
> >> > Such machines exist and are busy right now pumping out thousands of wheels. They certainly
> >> > save a lot in labor costs, the reason for
> >> their
> >>
> >> I thought he was asking about making a home-made wheel truing stand, rather than having to pay
> >> $50 for a cheap one (or $150 for a good
one!).
> >>
> >> That said, I'd like to ask...how about it? Probably not worth it; $50 isn't all that terrible.
> >>
> >> -- Rick Onanian
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Rick Onanian

Status
Not open for further replies.