buildin a bike

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by ranger39000, Jul 9, 2006.

1. ranger39000

ranger39000 New Member

After 15 yrs of cycling (startin with triathlon) I'm building my first bike from NEW parts (definitely not my first). On a budget but wont stop me. Parts in the mail r the Nashbar 54cm alum road fram and CF road fork of 160mm steerer. Ordered the Nashbar threaded sealed headset. My question, "is this going to go together well?". Please, anyone.:confused: p.s. Also got the FSA 20/24 wheelset. Any input on that as well?
    Ranger

Tags:

2. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

It's going to work, but I would strongly suggest having a bike shop prep the frame and instal the headset cups.

3. ranger39000

ranger39000 New Member

I wish I could but I've vowed to do it all by myself and a vow is a vow. I have some ideas using somethin like a tube and sledge hammer:D But new question. Will I need to buy a new sort of stem to go down into this Nashbar CF road fork or can I use my old 7 style with quill. :confused: Guess I'll find out tomarrow when parts arrive but please, input. Sounds valuable so far artmichalek

4. capwater

capwater New Member

Quill stem is a no-go since you'll be using a threadless headset. Check out www.parktool.com, schloads of great info that you'll need.

5. Windbreaker

Windbreaker New Member

*picks himself up from the floor*

Just in case you're half serious...here is a great homebuilt headset press

BTW, if I read you correctly, it's my understanding you're using a threaded headset? If that's the case--then, yeah, you can use the quill stem.

6. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

i think what art meant about having the LBS prepare the frame aside from installing the headset cups is to prepare the BB & headset race. This requires special tools (quite heavy and expensive) that remove a little material from the race to make sure that the cups sit squarely on the the BB or headset.

7. munckee

munckee New Member

Seriously, let a shop press the headset for you. It'll take them 15 minutes with the right tool whereas you'll have to either plunk down for the tool or rig something that has a higher chance of failure. There's plenty of puzzle pieces left to put together after that to make it a worth endeavor.

8. allenpg

allenpg New Member

Without dumping a few hundred dollars on headset, fork, and racing tools, spend a few bucks at your LBS for the frame prep. A lot of frames you buy already come with a fork and many shops include frame prep in the cost of the frame when you buy it from them. So, in a way, you're still building a bike from the frame up. Good luck! (I'd also recommend getting even a $30 torque wrench from Sears).

9. ranger39000

ranger39000 New Member

;) Very astute of you windbreaker! Threaded headset it is! :rolleyes: But I do have alot of good info if I wanna do a threadless one now. I wanted to stay retro as much as I could cause without givin up the speed.
    (

10. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

160mm steerer? Threaded headset? OY! Sounds like 1" stuff.

Most aluminum frames use a 1 1/8" steerer ... there were & are some exceptions.

If you don't want to ship the fork & headset back AND buy a 1 1/8" threadless steerer with about 220mm of length (which you may end up trimming) + 1 1/8" threadless headset, spacers & stem, then you're going to want to buy a PROBLEM SOLVER headset reducer (essentially a shim). ~$28 at your LBS; but, they will probably be totally clueless as to what you are requesting.

11. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

Most, but not the one we're talking about:
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=130&subcategory=1176&sku=6064
    And hd is right. It's highly unlikely that the headtube and bb shell on this thing are going to be properly faced out of the box. Spending a few bucks to have a shop do it right will go a long way to ensuring the best performance and durability of the headset and bottom bracket.

12. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Sorry. Thanks for the correction AND the link.

13. ranger39000

ranger39000 New Member

On the road again. Did the headset myself using the Neandrathal technique but couldn't use the cf forks, just an old pair cro-mo had layin round. Thankx 4 all the input guys :D . Back on the road with some catalog parts, some LBS parts (cant put the good guyz outa business). Longest 2 weeks of my life! Pic posted in pic zone of this forum