Building a 20 spokes powertap wheel?

Originally Posted by alienator .

You clearly don't get how equations work, so go ahead, refuse to learn anything that might contradict the mythology that you hold dear and with which you infect your customers. I'm sure your peers at the Flat Earth Society meetings will be proud.
For the record and since you are intellectually incapable of understanding, the equations in the pdf are perfectly correct. Each of the two scenarios, i.e. each the different starting tensions represents a a 5N transient impact as you might get from a bump, a small hole in the road, and etc. This represents what variables typically do: change. What they do is right there in the name, "variable", i.e. "changeable". Variables that don't change are called "constants." The constants in the given equations are identified. If you had taken or passed algebra, you'd have got that. My daughter got that in 7th grade, as did the rest of her class.
Here's a link to the Wikipedia page that defines and describes variables. Give it a read. It might be enlightening.
Hmmm. I think that I can hear you oinking ...

Originally Posted by alienator
..[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]. [/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]It doesn't matter as the answer is still the same.[/COLOR]

I was just following YOUR lead!

Perhaps it is YOU who does not know how equations work.

alfeng said:
Hmmm.  I think that I can hear you oinking ...   
I was just following YOUR lead! Perhaps it is YOU who does not know how equations work.
Find the error, then, in what I wrote and calculated. What I calculated clearly shows that no matter the tension, so long as the spoke is in the elastic region of its stress strain curve, the same lateral force causes the same deflection.

Find the error, then, in what I wrote and calculated. What I calculated clearly shows that no matter the tension, so long as the spoke is in the elastic region of its stress strain curve, the same lateral force causes the same deflection.
Geez ...

I guess in the alternate universe of the politically correct where the outcome is expected to be the same, then the outcome will be the same ...

Is it any wonder why the Obamunists think that the current Administration is doing a good job?!?

alfeng said:
Geez ...   I guess in the alternate universe of the politically correct where the outcome is expected to be the same, then the outcome will be the same ... Is it any wonder why the Obamunists think that the current Administration is doing a good job?!?
You can't refute the science, so you deflect and toss out red herrings. Oh well. There's nothing else to be done here.

You can't refute the science, so you deflect and toss out red herrings.
Oh well. There's nothing else to be done here.

Oooh!!

Is your hair is on fire?

Or, is the smoke which you are blowing coming from your pants being on fire?!?

Let me make it simple for you since you have apparently been living in an alternate universe for a very long time ...

AUFGABE EINS. 1 + 1 = 2

AUFGABE ZWEI. Given: A is a constant
B is a variable

let A * B = C

if B changes, then C has to change.

C cannot be the same unless B does not change!

Verstehen Sie?

alfeng said:
verstehen Sie?
What I get is that you don't get simple algebra, and what you think happened didn't happen at all. Feel free to find an error in my math or the equations. The result was simple: two wheels laced with the exact same spokes, with the spoke tension in one wheel different than in the other, the same lateral force applied to each wheel will produce the same displacement. The tension difference does not effect the result. That much is obvious if you understand the equation that gives force in terms of displacement, starting length, cross sectional area, and Young's modulus. In fact, Sheldon Brown's lateral deflection test, the one whose graph and tabular data was posted, verifies the equations are correct. In fact, what the equations say and what Brown's results say is exactly what knowledgeable wheel builders know and say. Carry on as you like, because no matter what you claim, the physical reality follows the equations.

What I get is that you don't get simple algebra, and what you think happened didn't happen at all. Feel free to find an error in my math or the equations. The result was simple: two wheels laced with the exact same spokes, with the spoke tension in one wheel different than in the other, the same lateral force applied to each wheel will produce the same displacement. The tension difference does not effect the result. That much is obvious if you understand the equation that gives force in terms of displacement, starting length, cross sectional area, and Young's modulus. In fact, Sheldon Brown's lateral deflection test, the one whose graph and tabular data was posted, verifies the equations are correct. In fact, what the equations say and what Brown's results say is exactly what knowledgeable wheel builders know and say.

Carry on as you like, because no matter what you claim, the physical reality follows the equations.
Ah ...

Apparently, the "Progressive Math" of the alternate universe in which you live simply does not allow for the following ...

AUFGABE EINS. 1 + 1 = 2

B is a variable

let A * B = C

C cannot be the same unless B does not change!

I actually thought that you were smarter than your inability to process suggests ...

But, it would seem that it is YOU who does not understand simple algebra.

So, 'carry on as YOU like' ...

alfeng said:
Both of my equations for x1 and x2 are correct. Likewise correct is my expression for x2-x1. That's the sum of the math. It's all correct, and it shows that two wheels, one laced with spokes at a tension 10x the other and both laced with the same spokes, will show the same lateral displacement given the same lateral load applied to each rim, thus showing that stiffness doesn't vary with spoke tension. So point out the mathematical error. Point out the theoretical error. Be specific. Don't deflect as you've been doing with irrelevant come backs. Use my work to show the error that you think is there.

Both of my equations for x1 and x2 are correct. Likewise correct is my expression for x2-x1. That's the sum of the math. It's all correct, and it shows that two wheels, one laced with spokes at a tension 10x the other and both laced with the same spokes, will show the same lateral displacement given the same lateral load applied to each rim, thus showing that stiffness doesn't vary with spoke tension. So point out the mathematical error. Point out the theoretical error. Be specific. Don't deflect as you've been doing with irrelevant come backs. Use my work to show the error that you think is there.
Uh ...
Let's try this again ... AUFGABE EINS. 1 + 1 = 2

B is a variable

let A * B = C

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)] C cannot be the same unless B does not change![/COLOR]

AUFGABE DREI. If: B[SIZE= 10px]1[/SIZE] =/= B[SIZE= 10px]2 (where '=/=' is 'not equal to')[/SIZE]

Then in a valid formula in the real world in which the rest of us live ...

A * B1 =/= A * B2

Somehow, despite THAT obvious reality, you are trying to suggest otherwise.

So, it really doesn't matter what numbers you were plugging into the formula(s) you used.

YOU need to justify how 'C' can be he same when 'B' changes ...

Or, to put it another way, just because you say it doesn't make it so ... except, apparently, in your alternate universe where the new math allows a variable with different values in an equation to result in the same conclusion. BTW. Are you using the same Progressive "math" which allows the current Administration to say that adding over a Trillion Dollars to the annual deficit & overall Debt is a way of balancing the budget?!? I'm just asking because I'm an-inquiring-mind who is trying to figure out how seemingly smart people can-or-will-be voting for four more years of what we have just gone through.

Alf, I would buy you a beer any day!

Hell, I'ld buy Alienator a beer too, but he would analyze it to warmth before he figured out it was for refreshment.

Well, I thought you made a generous attempt to educate him on this topic with your illustration of the Hooke's Law equations and the experimental results graph. Sadly, in less time than he spent posting his response (twice), he could have read the article on Hooke's Law in Wikipedia. If he had, he would have read that the negative sign is just there to indicate that the strain, or restoring force is in the opposite direction from the applied tensile stress....which should be obvious to most anyone.

Sorry I sucked you into this discussion, which turned out to be a total waste of effort for both of us. It's an exercise I won't repeat, trust me.

Originally Posted by dhk2 .

Well, I thought you made a generous attempt to educate him on this topic with your illustration of the Hooke's Law equations and the experimental results graph. Sadly, in less time than he spent posting his response (twice), he could have read the article on Hooke's Law in Wikipedia. If he had, he would have read that the negative sign is just there to indicate that the strain, or restoring force is in the opposite direction from the applied tensile stress....which should be obvious to most anyone.

Sorry I sucked you into this discussion, which turned out to be a total waste of effort for both of us. It's an exercise I won't repeat, trust me.
Hey, 'I' am the one who is sorry ...

Well, I now have to presume that YOU are just another example of a person who is incapable of critical thinking ...

Try to visualize what is actually occurring when a spoked bicycle wheel has a lateral stress applied to it rather than whatever is going on in your head ...

If YOU actually thought about something beyond the theoretical & examined what happens when a bicycle wheel is NOT properly tensioned as a worst case scenario then YOU might actually realize that it is the lateral flexing of the combined spokes which results in a taco'd wheel because the lateral stress causes the opposing spokes to flex in a concave manner and the stress is NOT purely longitudinal!!!!

BUT, it really doesn't matter whether the spokes are flexing in concave or convex manner BECAUSE the spokes are flexing -- bicycle spokes can more readily flex laterally than they can compress or expand ...

• that is, the tensile strength is actually moot!

That is, for those of you who lack a certain level of critical thinking here is a "lay" example which you can surely follow ...

• while an I-beam is can be said to have strength in some directions, the same I-beam lacks the same lateral strength as a solid beam
  • if you need an OBVIOUS EXAMPLE, consider a railroad track

Regardless:

If [COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)] B[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]1 [SIZE= 14px] =/= B2[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Then A * B[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]1 [SIZE= 14px] =/= A * B2[/COLOR][/SIZE]

And, whether-or-not a "law" is used properly-or-improperly in a formula is moot if the most basic premises in mathematics are ignored; and so, application-or-inclusion within a formulation-or-argument doesn't make alienator's conclusion any more valid than the fore mentioned KEELING CURVE can be used as a valid component in trying to prove the so-called "Global Warming" hoax.

UNFORTUNATELY, what I am particularly sorry about is the fact that there are many people who apparently lack critical thinking who are probably going to vote to re-elect the current Administration.

alfeng said:
Well, I now have to presume that YOU are just another example of a person who is incapable of critical thinking ... . . . . . . . UNFORTUNATELY, what I am particularly sorry about is the fact that there are many people who apparently lack critical thinking who are probably going to vote to re-elect the current Administration.
Actually, Al, not only are you not critically thinking, you do not get the math and the truth given by the theory. Moreover, you can't even correctly model with words what is going on. First, improperly tensioned spokes, i.e., those that go slack at the bottom of the wheel, don't bend at the bottom of the wheel. In fact all the do is..........go slack and maybe rattle. Since they're slack there is no loading, therefore they don't bend. Spokes anywhere else on the wheel also don't bend. If you actually think the band, prove how that happens. By the way, your recent incoherent post does not prove anything, other than your poor math skills and inability to understand what is actually happening. Now, I notice that you've added the "what happens when a bicycle wheel is NOT properly tensioned" bit. Sigh. What has improper tensioning got to do with anything being discussed? Has anyone argued that improperly tensioned wheels are good things? Have you noticed how it's been several times people that aren't you that improperly tensioned spokes go slack at the contact patch? As for imaginary taco'd wheel with improperly tensioned spokes, please show the load path for that improperly tensioned spoke that in your world is developing a bending moment. As for you little math display shows that you have at least some understanding of the commutative law for multiplication. Congratulations. Kids don't learn that until elementary school, and here you are finally understanding it much later in life. Pat yourself on the back. Again, in order to divert people's attention away from your ignorance, you mention your hallowed Keeling curve, thus bringing up your political views, again, where they bare no relevance whatsoever. If you get all exited about anthropomorphic global warming, I suggest you go to a forum about said topic. As for the last comment, again, just as with your AGW comment it shows that you are unable to construct a proper argument re: spoke tension, know that your argument is weak, and thus you try to deflect attention from the topic at hand. Find a political forum if you want to discuss politics. This thread has nothing to do with politics whatsoever. The theory and the reality behind spoke tension and lateral stiffness has been the same for many, many years no matter who was in the White House. I'll say it again: point out specifically where my math was wrong and how that applies to the theory that you claim isn't correct.

Quote: Originally Posted by alienator

Actually, Al, not only are you not critically thinking, you do not get the math and the truth given by the theory. Moreover, you can't even correctly model with words what is going on.

I'll say it again: point out specifically where my math was wrong and how that applies to the theory that you claim isn't correct.

Darn ...

• if 'I' am NOT thinking critically, then by MY previously stated criteria means that I will apparently be voting for Obama-Biden!?!

Say it's not so!!

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)] Wait[/COLOR] ...

Oh, [COLOR= rgb(0, 100, 0)]thank goodness![/COLOR]

I hope that YOU recall that the discussion IS about Double-Butted vs. Straight Gauge spokes ...

Yes?!?

Surprisingly-and-fortunately-for-me, as presented, your little discourse on HOOKE'S LAW & YOUNG's MODULUS is actually a Red Herring of the sort that you have decried ... go figure!

• of course, there is something odd about THAT because it is YOU who is not exhibiting critical thinking ...
  • and, FYI, the flaw in your "math" is that you incorrectly state that the variable [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]A[SIZE= 9px]0[/COLOR][/SIZE] is a constant ... and, THAT is the whole point!

All that formulation for naught!

So, perhaps NOW you understand why I previously wanted you to clarify how you could dispute that ...

If B[SIZE= 10px]1 =/= B2[/SIZE]

Then A * B[SIZE= 10px]1 =/= A * B2[/SIZE]

All you did was show that the length of the spoke does not change due to the tension BUT it doesn't address lateral deflection AND it doesn't address the different center sections of a double-butted 14-15-14 spoke vs. a straight 14g spoke ...

Basically, it remains a myth that the "elasticity" of a Double-Butted spoke is more beneficial than detrimental ...

So, although it could be said that the 'slacker' lacing which is expressed by the "proxy" values does result in less force being applied to the rim, the trade-off of a laterally more flexible wheel is one which people are making unknowingly.

AND, if you can bend your mind around it and think about the coiled spring described in HOOKE'S LAW, then YOU would realize that when a coiled spring is stretched-or-compressed then it represents the same potential energy created when a ([COLOR= rgb(128, 128, 128)]laced, of course![/COLOR]) bicycle spoke is deflected.

So, if YOU really think about it, what you have demonstrated proves my case that a double-butted spoke is more flexible than a straight gauge spoke.

[SIZE= 16px][COLOR= rgb(0, 100, 0)]HOW SWEET IT IS![/COLOR][/SIZE]

... First, improperly tensioned spokes, i.e., those that go slack at the bottom of the wheel, don't bend at the bottom of the wheel. In fact all the do is..........go slack and maybe rattle. Since they're slack there is no loading, therefore they don't bend. Spokes anywhere else on the wheel also don't bend. If you actually think the band, prove how that happens. By the way, your recent incoherent post does not prove anything, other than your poor math skills and inability to understand what is actually happening. Now, I notice that you've added the "what happens when a bicycle wheel is NOT properly tensioned" bit. Sigh. What has improper tensioning got to do with anything being discussed? Has anyone argued that improperly tensioned wheels are good things? Have you noticed how it's been several times people that aren't you that improperly tensioned spokes go slack at the contact patch? As for imaginary taco'd wheel with improperly tensioned spokes, please show the load path for that improperly tensioned spoke that in your world is developing a bending moment. As for you little math display shows that you have at least some understanding of the commutative law for multiplication. Congratulations. Kids don't learn that until elementary school, and here you are finally understanding it much later in life. Pat yourself on the back.

Because 'I' am an inquiring mind, WHERE do YOU think-or-say that the spokes "go slack" on a properly tensioned wheel?

Again, in order to divert people's attention away from your ignorance, you mention your hallowed Keeling curve, thus bringing up your political views, again, where they bare no relevance whatsoever. If you get all exited about anthropomorphic global warming, I suggest you go to a forum about said topic. As for the last comment, again, just as with your AGW comment it shows that you are unable to construct a proper argument re: spoke tension, know that your argument is weak, and thus you try to deflect attention from the topic at hand. Find a political forum if you want to discuss politics. This thread has nothing to do with politics whatsoever. The theory and the reality behind spoke tension and lateral stiffness has been the same for many, many years no matter who was in the White House.

Well, I only mentioned the Keeling Curve because it is a flawed component of a topic which many refer to as part of a "settled science."

Again, the term "settled science" is an oxymoron as it denies the scientific method.

Al, you ought to be careful with physics because you're making assumptions that don't hold. You had alleged that higher tension on the spokes builds a stiffer wheel. I demonstrated that it didn't. Both dhk2 and I said that a wheels stiffness is dependent on the rim, the number of spokes and the spring constant of the spoke, which is exactly the same as saying that if spokes are made of the same material, the one with the larger cross-sectional area will be the stiffer of the two. That's was also stated via the equations I gave. So, my demonstration that wheel stiffness is independent of spoke tension. The equations I gave didn't make any statement about the stiffness of butted spokes. To calculate the effective spring constant of a butted spoke you need to follow the procedure for calculating the effective spring constant for springs in series. Here, I'll help you out and give you the equation of effective stiffness for a double butted spoke:

Al, you ought to be careful with physics because you're making assumptions that don't hold. You had alleged that higher tension on the spokes builds a stiffer wheel. I demonstrated that it didn't. Both dhk2 and I said that a wheels stiffness is dependent on the rim, the number of spokes and the spring constant of the spoke, which is exactly the same as saying that if spokes are made of the same material, the one with the larger cross-sectional area will be the stiffer of the two. That's was also stated via the equations I gave. So, my demonstration that wheel stiffness is independent of spoke tension. The equations I gave didn't make any statement about the stiffness of butted spokes. To calculate the effective spring constant of a butted spoke you need to follow the procedure for calculating the effective spring constant for springs in series. Here, I'll help you out and give you the equation of effective stiffness for a double butted spoke:
Physics? Schmizics!?! Whether intentionally, or not, you have misread what I have been stating ... I have not been saying that "higher tension" will result in a laterally stiffer wheel since the presumption was that the tension would be ~100 Kgf in both cases ...
  • and, the tensiometer "proxy" was to intended to illustrate the ease with which a DB spoke could be deflected at the same theoretical tension ...
Regardless, I hope you realize that in what may have been your haste to enlighten me that you have finally echoed what 'I' have been stating for years ... That if all other things are equal ...

• then a wheel which is laced with straight 14g spokes will result in a laterally stiffer wheel than the same wheel built with 14-15-14 Double-Butted spokes!
  • and, perhaps subjectively, I prefer a laterally stiffer wheel because 'I' feel that it is subsequently stronger, too, when laced with straight 14g spokes instead of 14-15-14 DB spokes ...
... "stronger" -- maybe, maybe not ...
  • regardless, I feel that any theoretical benefits which may exist from using DB spokes are outweighed by what 'I' feel (perhaps, seemingly arbitrarily to what other individuals would suggest) are the detrimental consequences of a wheel laced with DB spokes

• OTHER people will continue to prefer to have their wheels laced with DB spokes ...
  • and, THAT will always be their prerogative!

Thanks, again, for proving my case ...

[COLOR= rgb(0, 100, 0)]And, THANKS for finally agreeing with me! [/COLOR] I think that my work is finally done, here.

Give up. Alf.

Common sense...it ain't so common these days.

And please go loosen all your spokes a couple/three revolutions. You'll find you wheel just as stiff as properly tensioned. Hell, we've got a chart to prove it.

So after getting rid of all that unecessary spoke tension just go out and bomb down the biggest mountainside you can find. Scientists have formulaically proven you'll be perfectly safe. And the melting ice caps will have Cleveland deeper than Atlantis in 25 years.

No one has disputed that a straight 14/15/14 spoke will be less stiff than a 14g double butted spoke. Who said anyone had to choose that spoke? Someone can equally choose a 13/14/13 spoke. As for durability the 14/15/14g spoke, all else being equal, will survive more loading cycles than a 14g spoke. As for the claims you edited out, they had no merit. You don't have instruments nor is it likely than any wheel builder has the instruments to measure the change in diameter of a loaded spoke. Claims that spoke tension affects stiffness are wrong so long as the spokes are properly tensioned and don't go slack over the contact patch. You've certainly shown nothing that indicates that 14/15/14 spoked wheels are not an excellent choice, are prone to shimmying, and aren't stiff enough laterally. Your insinuation that people get such spokes as bling, also holds no water Poo-poo science all you want. People that do so have no idea how much their lives revolve around and depend on scientific theory and the engineering built on said theory. If you want to discuss or argue about science, I suggest you start a thread in the Soap Box sub-forum. If you want to discuss politics, I suggest you start a thread in the Soap Box forum. Using off-topic rants in a discussion about bicycle wheels just makes it look like you're trying to deflect attention from the fact that you really don't understand bicycle wheels. Of course you don't want that.