Building a Bamboo Frame

shawea

Nov 16, 2011
Hey guys, I saw a few older Bamboo Bike threads in here, but nothing recent, sorry if its repetitive. I am building a bamboo frame, and have found some pretty good resources on instructables and http://blog.bamboobikestudio.com/. I am planning on utilizing the process where I take an older aluminum frame and then cut out the tubes and replace them with bamboo and bind it all together using carbon fiber strands.

I have 2 main questions for any of you who have undergone this or a similar project.

1. What kind of bamboo is best and where did you get it?
2. What are the benefits of using carbon fiber strands vs hemp in your experience. I have seen pros and cons for both. Also does anyone have a good tutorial and how to really apply carbon fiber strands to create a strong joint? That's the part I am most unsure of, and obviously very important.

Hi shawea, sounds really interesting ... good luck and show us your build at various stages of planning and development :)

Originally Posted by shawea .

I have 2 main questions for any of you who have undergone this or a similar project.

1. What kind of bamboo is best and where did you get it?
2. What are the benefits of using carbon fiber strands vs hemp in your experience. I have seen pros and cons for both. Also does anyone have a good tutorial and how to really apply carbon fiber strands to create a strong joint? That's the part I am most unsure of, and obviously very important.
Why don't you simply contact the people at the Bamboo Bike Shop for the information?

• If they are as Earth-friendly as I presume they would like us to think they are then they should also be willing to freely share the particulars.

Good luck with your project!

Good idea thanks.

Originally Posted by alfeng .

Why don't you simply contact the people at the Bamboo Bike Shop for the information?

• If they are as Earth-friendly as I presume they would like us to think they are then they should also be willing to freely share the particulars.

Good luck with your project!