Building a bike and need drive train help!

6BroadwayBiking

Sep 21, 2011
I am completely overhauling my bike (2002 Klein quantum race) and am new at this so I am looking for some guidance. I am looking at a single 3/32 chain ring and a 8-9 speed cassette. My questions are

1. Can a 9 speed shimano/sram cassette use a 3/32" chain, or does it have to be a 9 speed specific chain? I was looking at the specs for my Klein online (http://www.epinions.com/bicycles_2002_Klein_Quantum_Race/display_~full_specs) and it says it currently uses the Shimano CN-HG92 chain and that it is 3/32".

2. I am looking at Shimano Ultegra 9 speed shifters. If I use the 8 speed cassette, can I still use the Ultegra shifters? Can I use a 9 speed rear derailleur?

Colin

1. yes
2. If you have the shfters and deraileur already you mine as well buy the 9 speed cassette.

I agree with #2 above--just this year I went from a 12-speed bike (2 front, 6 rear) to a 30-speed (3 front, 10 rear), and I though 10 speeds in the rear was da bomb, and that the 11-speed cassettes out there were just over the top. Now that I've put more than a few miles on my bike, I could see splitting the gears in a couple places in the rear. Of course, if I had the time to ride a bunch more, I could ride a couple gears higher where the gears are closer together and it would be a moot point.

Originally Posted by 6BroadwayBiking .

I am completely overhauling my bike (2002 Klein quantum race) and am new at this so I am looking for some guidance. I am looking at a single 3/32 chain ring and a 8-9 speed cassette. My questions are

1. Can a 9 speed shimano/sram cassette use a 3/32" chain, or does it have to be a 9 speed specific chain? I was looking at the specs for my Klein online (http://www.epinions.com/bicycles_2002_Klein_Quantum_Race/display_~full_specs) and it says it currently uses the Shimano CN-HG92 chain and that it is 3/32".

2. I am looking at Shimano Ultegra 9 speed shifters. If I use the 8 speed cassette, can I still use the Ultegra shifters? Can I use a 9 speed rear derailleur?

Colin
Hi 6BroadwayBiking, looking at it this way
  1. If you have a 9spd cassette then use a 9spd chain ... all 9spd chains should work, some better than others, and some are better quality than others.
  2. What is your Rear Derailleur (RD). Shimano and Sram are not compatible, so you cannot mix them, ie Shimano Ultegra 9 speed shifters and SRAM RD. Although, a 9/10spd Sram Cassette will work with a 9/10spd Shimano RD and Shimano Shifter and a 9/10spd Shimano Cassette will work with a 9/10spd Sram RD and Sram Shifter. Sram has 1:1 actuation and has Shimano 2:1 actuation, hence the incompatibility :)

Thats what I wanted to hear. I was hoping that I could just keep a 9 speed cassette. I haven't bought a rear derailleur yet, but was looking to keep things in the family and just go with a shimano ultegra 9 speed. Only problem is that I am having trouble finding one, they all are 10 speed now. Anybody know where I can snag one?

Thanks for all the help.

For some reason I must have been a little drunk when I read your post. Thinking you already had the deraileur and shifters. Oh well. If you want 9 speed new Tiagra is the current group.

I haven't bought a rear derailleur yet, but was looking to keep things in the family and just go with a shimano ultegra 9 speed. Only problem is that I am having trouble finding one, they all are 10 speed now. Anybody know where I can snag one?

Thanks for all the help.
eBay, Amazon, craigslist, and other online sellers. 9-speed Ultegra has been out of production for five or six years.

And if you're thinking about Tiagra, you'd better move quickly, because all that will be available is what's in the stores and warehouses now. Tiagra 10-speed is reportedly already in production and will appear on the 2012 bikes.

Forgot to mention, the pull rates on all Shimano 9- and 10-speed rear derailleurs are all the same, except for the new MTB 10-speed. Levers, chains, and front derailleurs should be matched, although I'm sure there are some members here who have found exceptions or workarounds.

I have been looking around and seeing that some places say that the particular ultegra rear derailluer's they are advertising are "9 and 10 speed compatible". If this is true can can I get one and expect it to work on my cassette?

Thats what I wanted to hear. I was hoping that I could just keep a 9 speed cassette. I haven't bought a rear derailleur yet, but was looking to keep things in the family and just go with a shimano ultegra 9 speed. Only problem is that I am having trouble finding one, they all are 10 speed now. Anybody know where I can snag one?

Thanks for all the help.
Hi 6BroadwayBiking, no worries, you can use a Shimano 10spd RD and 9/10spd Shifter with a 9spd cassette :)

If you already have the shifter you can buy a Shimano 10spd RD, say a 105/5700 is a good choice or higher, which will work with a 9spd shifter :)
In fact a 105 RD, more specifically a 105/5600, will work in the range from 5spd to 10spd (with the appropriate Shifter), through hi/low screw adjustment :)