Building a bike - how hard?

[email protected] (Erik Brooks) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Well, now the big question for me. How difficult is it to build up a bike?
>
> There's some fine advice in this thread.
> One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is that later on, when you have a problem with your bike,
> perhaps on the road, you will be much better prepared to analyse the issue and fix the problem.
> And you will know which parts of bike maintainence and repair to do yourself and which to leave to
> the pros....

I'm about 23 years "down the road" from the first one I built (about a million ball bearings of
various sizes all over the place)... and just built one two years ago, as well as rebuilt a Tandem
at one point. The surprise is that a lot of the original tools are still usable...making the
original price look fairly cheap now after all that use. (not much use for my pretty chrome cone
wrenches on the new one though ...).

And like everyone has been saying, it's great when you have a little noise or click or whatever, and
you know exactly each bearing and threaded part on the bike. You just either take care of it quickly
on the road, or if it's a little more involved, you can dissamble whatever you need to at home
quickly and reassemble, (you have all the right tools, that's how it got assembled in the first
place!). I found that this has always kept "little" noises from becoming "big" problems.

It' a lifetime thing - Have Fun, Nick

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 02:39:33 -0400, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:

> BB tools aren't too expensive - $15 or so. I had to search for mine a bit because it was an
> external spline pattern rather than an internal one. Damn Truvativ for not going with normal
> standards!

Is that the same external spline of campy veloce/mirage, thun, sachs, ***? That one was a ***** to
find. Eventually I just had my LBS remove the thing, as they did have the tool. They marred the
threads on my frame, though. Bastards.

Jasper

Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> writes:

> Is that the same external spline of campy veloce/mirage, thun, sachs, ***? That one was a *****
> to find.

But that is designed for the standard tool for the lock ring for the adjustable cup in traditional
bottom brackets, so the world should be full of them (most of them certainly just lying about
somewhere, I haven't used mine in about ten years).

"Jasper Janssen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 02:39:33 -0400, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > BB tools aren't too expensive - $15 or so. I had to search for mine a bit because it was an
> > external spline pattern rather than an internal one. Damn Truvativ for not going with normal
> > standards!
>
> Is that the same external spline of campy veloce/mirage, thun, sachs, ***? That one was a ***** to
> find. Eventually I just had my LBS remove the thing, as they did have the tool. They marred the
> threads on my frame, though. Bastards.
>
> Jasper

No, it was a shimano XTR tool from a year or two back, apparently, although it also fits the other
shimano BBs. The shop I work at has one, but I prefer to have all the tools I need to overhall my
bike at home, so I had to find one at another shop. I ended up getting another shop's only tool, I
think - it was used a little bit, and a little greasy till he wiped it off, but was otherwise in
like-new condition. Still a ripoff, which is why I don't go to that shop much, but they had one and
now I've got the tool.

Jon Bond

Originally posted by Jeff
Do it! Assembling computers is a good analogy, if you enjoy that you will likely enjoy assembling
a bicycle.

>>My recommendation
- Buy a book, Zinn gets recommended
- Buy a thrift-store or yard sale bike, or maybe a friend or relative has a beater
- Repack the hub and headset bearings
- Take out the cranks, bottom bracket and reassemble
- Take the brakes apart, clean and reassemble
- Maybe new cables, bar tape, chain and brake pads, but otherwise just play with the original parts

>>You will buy some special tools, maybe a crank puller, bottom bracket tool, cone wrenches.

>>You will learn a lot, find how well you like it and be ready for bike #2.

Great thread - I just found it through a search on Yahoo. I'm in the same boat as Paul - new to cycling but trying to learn quickly and save some money by building my own bike. So far all of my purchases have been on Ebay. The plan is to build a light racing bike for triathlons and time trials. So far I've bought a Cannondale MS1000 frame and fork w/aerobars, seatpost, and saddle included ($220). I found a great seller (123ph) that offered a TT component group on Ebay for $400 that is primarily Ultegra components, a Velocity Deep V wheelset for $240, Speedplay X-3 pedals for $90, and Michelin tires for $70. Add in a bike toolset ($70), and I have a racing bike (granted, in many pieces) that cost less than $1,100.

Thus far I have been really lucky. A prior post mentioned compatibility of parts, and obviously that is crucial. I recommend finding a seller or store that will discuss compatibility with you prior to purchasing. If you send an e-mail to someone on Ebay and they don't get back to you, don't buy from them. The seller above, 123ph, wrote several pages discussing the different options for types/sizes of components based on your body type and riding style. He even offered to answer any questions I have while building the bike. Most important though, is to check feedback ratings (click the number next to the username) - I don't buy from anyone with <100 transactions and 99% positive.

So now the hard part - I have no mechanical ability whatsoever but I'm hoping my curiousity on the subject and patience will get me through. A prior post mentioned Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance - I picked it up and it's a great resource. I also have a good friend that's a mechanic to help me out, which is key.

There isn't much information online on the subject so it was great to read this thread. The components should be coming in the mail this week so I'll post any advice or problems I have in the building process. Paul - any updates on your progress?

Originally posted by Jeff
Do it! Assembling computers is a good analogy, if you enjoy that you will likely enjoy assembling
a bicycle.

>>My recommendation
- Buy a book, Zinn gets recommended
- Buy a thrift-store or yard sale bike, or maybe a friend or relative has a beater
- Repack the hub and headset bearings
- Take out the cranks, bottom bracket and reassemble
- Take the brakes apart, clean and reassemble
- Maybe new cables, bar tape, chain and brake pads, but otherwise just play with the original parts

>>You will buy some special tools, maybe a crank puller, bottom bracket tool, cone wrenches.

>>You will learn a lot, find how well you like it and be ready for bike #2.

Great thread - I just found it through a search on Yahoo. I'm in the same boat as Paul - new to cycling but trying to learn quickly and save some money by building my own bike. So far all of my purchases have been on Ebay. The plan is to build a light racing bike for triathlons and time trials. So far I've bought a Cannondale MS1000 frame and fork w/aerobars, seatpost, and saddle included ($220). I found a great seller (123ph) that offered a TT component group on Ebay for $400 that is primarily Ultegra components, a Velocity Deep V wheelset for $240, Speedplay X-3 pedals for $90, and Michelin tires for $70. Add in a bike toolset ($70), and I have a racing bike (granted, in many pieces) that cost less than $1,100.

Thus far I have been really lucky. A prior post mentioned compatibility of parts, and obviously that is crucial. I recommend finding a seller or store that will discuss compatibility with you prior to purchasing. If you send an e-mail to someone on Ebay and they don't get back to you, don't buy from them. The seller above, 123ph, wrote several pages discussing the different options for types/sizes of components based on your body type and riding style. He even offered to answer any questions I have while building the bike. Most important though, is to check feedback ratings (click the number next to the username) - I don't buy from anyone with <100 transactions and 99% positive.

So now the hard part - I have no mechanical ability whatsoever but I'm hoping my curiousity on the subject and patience will get me through. A prior post mentioned Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance - I picked it up and it's a great resource. I also have a good friend that's a mechanic to help me out, which is key.

There isn't much information online on the subject so it was great to read this thread. The components should be coming in the mail this week so I'll post any advice or problems I have in the building process. Paul - any updates on your progress?

Frame up easy , a few hours after work did it in three days.

Fire up MTB 03

If you're working with a steel frame and aluminum components you can't go far wrong. If you get into
more exotic parts, it can get tricky and technical.

Personally, if you're spending big $$$ on components and frameset goto the

things they break), 2) if there is a failure related to the assembly of the bike you have recourse
against the LBS.

by the time you are done with the necessary tools, and breaking expensive stuff it doesn't pay to do
it yourself.