Building A Bike Up From The Frame

Jun 17, 2015
Just curious to see if anyone has done it and what their experience was like. I'm thinking about doing one for the learning experience. I've seen a lot road and mountain bike builds but a tiny amount of hybrids. Seems like it'll probably cost more than buying a pre-made bike but was the effort worth it to build with one's own hands?

Reactions: haleylx4
I haven't built a hybrid; however, I have built my road bike and highly modified 3 other hybrids.

That being said, I would say go for it.....with caution. If you're just wanting to go buy a bunch of parts and hope they go together, you will have frustration. Start with a noted or mental blueprint of the bike you want. Know what frame, wheels, tires, component set, handlebars, crankset and pedals, shifters, etc. and especially WHY you want those exact parts.

Could I have purchased a factory built Surly Pacer?...Yes. Was it what I wanted?...No. So I built it. At the time, the Pacers came with all 2x9 Tiagra drivetrain. I wanted, at a minimum, 105 components so I chose to build it myself and go with a 3x9 set up. It took longer to buy each individual piece but it truly is the exact bike I had envisioned. Other work on hybrids have been changing shifters, derailiers, brakesets, etc. For me, it's all relatively low cost, instant satisfaction work that can make a good machine a little better

How much are you looking to spend? IMO, the problem I see with such a project is, unless you have a huge collection of parts laying around, you could wind up spending way more on such a project than you would just buying a new or used hybrid and upgrading a couple of parts.

I'd say its easy if your bike is disc. My bike is considered a hybrid and bought complete using an MTB frame, with 700c / 29er rims,
which clears the frame designed for 26" rims, as long as I run no bigger than 32 mm tyres. All my components are MTB.

It'll definitely cost more because you'll be putting in some high end groupset on that frame. You'll want the best bike parts for yourself, so you won't save on parts. That's what happens when you build a bike from the frame up. But it's definitely a lot of fun, trust me. You'll eventually finish the bike and you'll be proud of yourself.

I've done it. It took me about 8 months of saving, acquiring parts, research but for me it was fun. I did it more because I enjoy this sort of thing. I love figuring out what parts will go with what. I have a mix of DA, XTR, and Ultegra parts for the drivetrain. I'll caution that it gets expensive though. Just when you think you're done, you'll remember that you need another part. Make a list of all the parts on a spreadsheet and then check them off as you acquire them. I could have bought a bike that was already built for the cost that I did it. And I'm sure it would have ridden as well, but it wouldn't have been "mine".

I've built 3.

You don't see anyone build a hybrid from the frame up because ...well ... it is just a hybrid. If you are putting the time, thought and effort into building something custom you want it to be fun and functional.