Building a Bike? Worth It.

rumptis

Jul 25, 2004
Is it worth trying to peice a bike together or just a waste of money. I was thinking I could get a good frame and move everything from my bike if it would fit to it then continue to upgrade as I have money.

Tell me if i'm crazy?

rumptis said:
Is it worth trying to peice a bike together or just a waste of money. I was thinking I could get a good frame and move everything from my bike if it would fit to it then continue to upgrade as I have money.

Tell me if i'm crazy?
I've considered the same thing for my next bike, but it depends what you want to recycle from your current bike. When you add up the frame, groupset, wheelset, saddle, seat tube, handlebars, headset, tyres, chain etc etc etc...it can get very expensive. IMO, complete bikes are better value, but it depends on what you can get your hands on, and as I said, what you can recycle from your current bike.

i had the same delemma and ended up doing it!

I saved about $1000 doing it but I got my frame/fork used on ebay but in fabulous condition

If you are thinking of moving things over don't move over your headset or bottom bracket, just get new ones installed (cost me $10 to have a shop put both those 2 pieces in for me). With your new bottom bracket htough, make sure your current crankset will fit it AND what you want to replace it with down the road will fit as well. Other than that everything else is pretty simple to move over and change out when you get the money.

If you have more questions don't hesitate to PM me or ask away on here. I went through the whole process last year and am very happy I did.

Just out of curiosity what components do you have now and what do you want to upgrade to in the future? and what wheels do you have?

John

something I wanted to add... if you want to price components the best prices I could find anywhere online last year was at www.jensonusa.com and I continue to buy things from them now as well

If you're gonna "build" up a spec bike, my biggest advice would be to know how to do it. In other words, be handy with tools, and know which ones to have and what they are used for. It's not too hard to assemble a bike, but if you don't know how to wrench, don't "learn" on your dream bike. Other than that it's great to spec it just like you want it, and it's even fun to scrounge for parts. I built one up earlier this Summer. K2 Mod 5.0 frame and fork with mostly DA/Sram/FSA drive train and other liteweight parts that I like, each chosen for it's function, reputation and weight. Parts were found through Ebay, Mail order/internet stores and even the good ol' LBS. Be ready to make changes though...just as you would any high performance bike. For instance, I didn't like this bike when I first finished it, it felt kinda dead. But I swapped out the seatpost and wheels and I'm much happier now, in fact it's the best of the 3 roadbikes I own. One last thing...I chose the K2 frame because I wanted a compact frame and it's Med geometry was exactly like my trusty old Bottecchia SLX vintage bike, upon which I've logged many K's. My point is, I had a baseline to work from. If you don't like your current ride, ie. fit and feel, it's probably better to try out prebuilt bikes and find one you that fits you. Another option would be to get a "fitting", to find your ideal size. There's a lot of data to take into consideration other than a box of parts. If you can conquer all these issues (and more) then by all means I highly reccommend a do it yourself. I did save money... $750-$1000, over the prebuilt, both on parts and labor and I enjoyed the process and feel a ton of pride when I'm rippin' down the road on MY machine. In closing you have one other option...most LBS will charge about $150 to assemble your pile o' parts, which ain't too bad considering it took me about a day to put mine together, of course I was savoring each step...I'm such a geek <g>

A lot of folks do what I do -- I know enough about bikes and bike parts to buy the right stuff at good prices, but when it comes to assembly, I don't trust myself quite as much as I trust some of my mechanic buddies.

A shop will charge you $150 or more; a good friend can do it for much less (depending on how good a friend he/she is).

lokstah said:
A lot of folks do what I do -- I know enough about bikes and bike parts to buy the right stuff at good prices, but when it comes to assembly, I don't trust myself quite as much as I trust some of my mechanic buddies.

A shop will charge you $150 or more; a good friend can do it for much less (depending on how good a friend he/she is).
if you have the time, do it seperately and wait for bargains to come up.
I got my C-40, centaur equiped for $2800 US, by just waiting for the right deals to come up.

You're not any crazier than I am, doing the same thing from the other direction rebuilding two old bikes, including new paint, that I had laying around. One will be the three yr. old's, so I have plenty of time on that one until she grows into it. The other is my old mountain bike which, among other things, will be wearing slick tires for the street. When the mountain bike is finished I'll start riding that one and work on the hybrid. When that's done.................:confused: . I'll probably pass the mountain bike on to #1 (11 yr. old son), buy another frame and start over.:)

But, for me, part of the fun of cycling is in the tinkering.:)