Building a bike

Peter Verdesi

Aug 26, 2004
I've decided to build my first bike. I've been riding my whole life(with the exception of the first few years) as a substitute for running (which I've always been better at) but just recently got into doing triathlons last year. So I want to build a tri bike for the up-coming season. I'm building the bike up from parts I'm buying on ebay and, so far, I think I'm doing pretty well in terms of keeping the cost down. When all is said and done I'll have a full Dura Ace 10 speed bike for about $1,700.00 with new components(that includes Zipp 909's that are used). Now to the heart of the matter; I'm no rocket scientist when it comes to bike building but I'm not really afraid to wrench. My question is this, is it really that hard to build a bike? Can anyone recommend a book on the subject? And lastly, how much do you figure it should cost to have a shop build it up for me?

For those who are curious:
Frame: Cannondale Multisport Caad 5 $202.00
Crank with bottom bracket: Dura Ace 7800 $299.00
Brakes, front and rear: Dura Ace 7800 $159.99
Front and rear derailer: Dura Ace 7800 $140.00
Pedals: Dura Ace 7800 :$129.99
Shifter: Dura Ace bar end 10 speed: $59.99
Wheels: Zipp 909(used): $510.00
Aero Bars: Profile Carbon X: $200.00? (haven't gotten them yet)

I know there are things that I'm missing: cassette, seatpost and seat, brake levers, cables etc etc but you get the idea (I already have some of the things I'll need). Thanks in advance for any advise or opinions. Be Safe out there.

It's really not too hard to build up a bike if you take your time with it. There are a few things you might need to take it to a shop for, like reaming and facing the head tube and chasing the bb threads. But that depends on the frame. Everything else can be installed with basic tools and a bit of patience. Good luck!

Peter Verdesi said:
I'll have a full Dura Ace 10 speed bike for about $1,700.00 with new components(that includes Zipp 909's that are used).

Frame: Cannondale Multisport Caad 5 $202.00
Maybe you should consider going with Ultegra10, or maybe even DA9 or Ult9, and a way better frame/fork. That would probably make for a better overall ride. The DA10 is cool but it will not get you to the end of a century, or up some hills faster, but a better frame/fork certainly will.

Best.

Most bike shops seem to charge $100 - $175 to build a bike. I'm in the same position as you, I have a frame and components to build up but don't have much wrenching experience. I have seen books recomneded in other threads but can't recall the titles. I may buy a fairly inexpensive used frame and components and try to build a commuter bike. After I feel comfortable with that I will consider doing my own wrenching on my other bikes.

CycleFreakLS said:
Maybe you should consider going with Ultegra10, or maybe even DA9 or Ult9, and a way better frame/fork. That would probably make for a better overall ride. The DA10 is cool but it will not get you to the end of a century, or up some hills faster, but a better frame/fork certainly will.

Best.
And what's wrong with a Cdale caad5 multisport, if that is the type frame that fits the pistol?

CycleFreakLS said:

Best.
I thought about going with the Ultegra but I think that I got a pretty good deal on all the DA10 stuff (just came in the mail today by the way.....It's sweet!) I've priced the Ultegra groups and I'm pretty sure I got the DA group for less (my friend that works in a bike shop says that some of the stuff I got was for less then cost, go figure). What frames would you recommend?

OCRoadie said:
Most bike shops seem to charge $100 - $175 to build a bike. I'm in the same position as you, I have a frame and components to build up but don't have much wrenching experience. I have seen books recomneded in other threads but can't recall the titles. I may buy a fairly inexpensive used frame and components and try to build a commuter bike. After I feel comfortable with that I will consider doing my own wrenching on my other bikes.
I've asked a buddy of mine who works in a local bike shop how much would it cost to build a bike for me and he told me in the $40.00 to $60.00 range at the most. Sounded kind of low to me but he's been working there for quite a long time. If it's that cheap I'll bring it in and have the shop do it. My time is worth more then that and I figure if I do it myself and screw it up I'll have to bring the bike in anyway to get tuned up (which will cost $40.00 to $60.00)

boudreaux said:
And what's wrong with a Cdale caad5 multisport, if that is the type frame that fits the pistol?
Nothing, I have a friend who rides that frame, Ultegra build, Shimano 540 wheels. But, if you threw $$$ at him and asked, what would you rather have, DA10 or a better frame/fork, he choose the frame/fork, as would I.

Components ... is the last priority $-wise when building a bike.
Best.

Peter Verdesi said:
What frames would you recommend?
Well, how much are you willing to spend? The areas where you should prioritize your $ are:

[a] frame/fork wheelset [c] components.

Looks like you have a good (albeit used) wheels and good components. The frame is OK, but there are a lot better frames around. How many pennies are you willing to part with? ;)

CycleFreakLS said:
Well, how much are you willing to spend? The areas where you should prioritize your $ are:

[a] frame/fork wheelset [c] components.

Looks like you have a good (albeit used) wheels and good components. The frame is OK, but there are a lot better frames around. How many pennies are you willing to part with? ;)

That's a good question. I've looked at other framesets: Cervelo, Orbea, Litespeed.....but they are quite expensive. A wiseman told me once " it's not the wand, it's the magician". I could buy a $7,000.00 custom and still get passed by some guy or girl on a Walmart Huffy. So it could be argued, why did I buy Dura Ace components? Everything I've bought could be transfered to another bike so if I did decide at a later date to buy an new frameset I could put all the DA on the the other bike. The Cannondale only cost 202 bucks (frame and fork) so it's not the end of the world. Any suggestions on frames not mentioned above?

boudreaux said:
Then why does he need a better one,and what constitutes 'better'? More money spent or what?
Didn't I already answer this? There ARE better frames and there are lesser components. Given the choice, take the better frame/fork and the lesser components. The CAAD5 is OK, but it won't hold a candle to a Litespeed Vortex, Colnago C-40, Trek 5900, Kestrel Evoke, etc. ... If I was going to put DA10 on a bike, I'd already have one of these frames (or one comparable to it first) before I plunk down $ on DA10.

You would really RATHER ride a CAAD5 than a Calfee Dragonfly, Giant TCR Composite? I wouldn't. I'd go with Ksyrium Elite wheels (let's say new here) and Ult9 or Ult-105.

I've picked up a Siena-Ult9 built bike and a CAAD5-Ult9 built bike. There is a BIG weight difference there. After a century, or a flat hammerfest, or a hilly thigh-buster ... I'd much rather be on a better frame (if I could afford it) than a CAAD5.

Again, there's nothing wrong with CAAD5. I just wouldn't stick DA10 on it. Ult-105 ... maybe Ult-9. Not DA10. $s spent in the wrong area.

Best.

CycleFreakLS said:
You would really RATHER ride a CAAD5 than a Calfee DragonflyBest.
I just went on the Calfee website to check out the Dragonfly. For just the frame you're looking at 3,500.00 without the fork. Add the fork and it's up to in the area of four grand. Ouch! The whole DA group cost about $800.00 with the pedals. How much of a weight difference could there be between the Cannondale and the Dragonfly? A pound. If you're talking ride quality and power transfer that's another story. I've never riden a Calfee bike but I can imagine that if I did spend that kind of money I'd say it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Peter Verdesi said:
pretty sure I got the DA group for less (my friend that works in a bike shop says that some of the stuff I got was for less then cost

just the frame you're looking at 3,500.00 without the fork.

The whole DA group cost about $800.00 with the pedals.
A new DA10 gruppo does NOT cost $800. Perhaps, the seller did not ... legally ... obtain the parts in question!? Whatever, you got great parts at a great price.

I never said those frames were cheaper - I said better. There is a world of difference between those frames and the CAAD5. Check on eBay; there must be lots of CF and/or Ti frames available.

If you're light, ride a lot, or ride over very rough roads, in the long run I think you'd be happier with CF or Ti rather than Al. The Solvang Century: 105 mi, 5000' climbing, 40-50 mi over these back country, jigsaw-looking, patchwork asphalt roads. Incredibly rough. You'd probably be much happier on a CF or Ti bike.

If you love the CAAD5, then get it. I'm just wondering why you'd spend 5x the amount on wheels and components as opposed to the frame ... the most important "part" of the bike.

Best.

CycleFreakLS said:
Didn't I already answer this? There ARE better frames and there are lesser components. Given the choice, take the better frame/fork and the lesser components. The CAAD5 is OK, but it won't hold a candle to a Litespeed Vortex, Colnago C-40, Trek 5900, Kestrel Evoke, etc. ... If I was going to put DA10 on a bike, I'd already have one of these frames (or one comparable to it first) before I plunk down $ on DA10.

You would really RATHER ride a CAAD5 than a Calfee Dragonfly, Giant TCR Composite? I wouldn't. I'd go with Ksyrium Elite wheels (let's say new here) and Ult9 or Ult-105.

I've picked up a Siena-Ult9 built bike and a CAAD5-Ult9 built bike. There is a BIG weight difference there. After a century, or a flat hammerfest, or a hilly thigh-buster ... I'd much rather be on a better frame (if I could afford it) than a CAAD5.

Again, there's nothing wrong with CAAD5. I just wouldn't stick DA10 on it. Ult-105 ... maybe Ult-9. Not DA10. $s spent in the wrong area.

Best.
The guy is just starting triathlons.You don't even know what he needs to do the job with. He got the DA stuff cheap enough.sounds like he has a clue about what he is doing....You are just blowing BS.

Peter Verdesi said:
I just went on the Calfee website to check out the Dragonfly. For just the frame you're looking at 3,500.00 without the fork. Add the fork and it's up to in the area of four grand. Ouch! The whole DA group cost about $800.00 with the pedals. How much of a weight difference could there be between the Cannondale and the Dragonfly? A pound. If you're talking ride quality and power transfer that's another story. I've never riden a Calfee bike but I can imagine that if I did spend that kind of money I'd say it was the best thing since sliced bread.
Ignore him.He is just blowing BS. You don't really do trathlons with a dragonfly anyway. Now you might get a more comfy ride with the Dragonfly,But you aren't loosing any effeciency with the Cdale.

CycleFreakLS said:
A new DA10 gruppo does NOT cost $800. Perhaps, the seller did not ... legally ... obtain the parts in question!? Whatever, you got great parts at a great price.

I never said those frames were cheaper - I said better. There is a world of difference between those frames and the CAAD5. Check on eBay; there must be lots of CF and/or Ti frames available.

If you're light, ride a lot, or ride over very rough roads, in the long run I think you'd be happier with CF or Ti rather than Al. The Solvang Century: 105 mi, 5000' climbing, 40-50 mi over these back country, jigsaw-looking, patchwork asphalt roads. Incredibly rough. You'd probably be much happier on a CF or Ti bike.

If you love the CAAD5, then get it. I'm just wondering why you'd spend 5x the amount on wheels and components as opposed to the frame ... the most important "part" of the bike.

Best.
Didn't you bother to read his original post on the intedned use of this rig or do you even know what a triathlon is? And, you are still blowing BS. The guy only asked what it woudl cost to have a shop build it,and if he had forgotten any parts.

After reading your posts in other threads ... you're the one who regularly blows loads of **** ... Very sarcastically to boot.

That CDale is not a Tri bike either. Get a clue.

CycleFreakLS said:
After reading your posts in other threads ... you're the one who regularly blows loads of **** ... Very sarcastically to boot.

That CDale is not a Tri bike either. Get a clue.
Dude, you are the one that needs to get the clue.The multisport in the 02 catalogue is the same frame and setup as the 'ironman' triathlon bikes in the 03 catalogue.Caad5s in both catalogues. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

CycleFreakLS said:

Best.
What troll farm did you escape from? I ride a CAAD 4 team issue on some very rough roads and yes, it has DA10! Why? Because the two are a perfect combination, even when it made the bike 12 grams heavier ;) I run a True Temper Alpha Sub 3 fork too. The bike weighs in at 15.8 pounds and outclimbs anything out there. A super stiff bottom bracket and the stiffest crank make for a climbing dream.