Building a bike

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Peter Verdesi, Nov 28, 2004.

1. CycleFreakLS

CycleFreakLS New Member

Who's catalogue? Most Tri or TT bikes have steep seat tubes for a very forward lean position. I don't think the CAAD5 is. Of course, it can be outfitted as such but it is not in the same category as a dedicated Tri/TT frame. According to the Cannondale site, it looks like the current crop of CAAD frames has a seat tube angle akin to a traditional road bike.

Did something change between the CAAD5 and CAAD7/8s?

2. Weisse Luft

Weisse Luft New Member

The TT/Ironman bikes have aerodynamically profiled down tubes and a rakish TT seat tube geometry. They still are CAAD5 based on the BB, headtube and rear triangle, all taken from the CAAD5 road frame.

You do know Cannondale MOUNTAIN bikes also came in various CAAD levels!

3. OCRoadie

OCRoadie New Member

4. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

The Cdale catalogues :rolleyes: .The Caadx whatever series have come in all kinds of configurations,which have varied thru time :rolleyes: . The multisport caad5 he's got has a seat tube angle of 78 or 77* depending on size :rolleyes:. The ironman triathalon caad 6 in the 03 catalogue has the same angle and is essentially identical to the 5 but has the Hollogram crank/BB. :rolleyes: The multisport Caad5 he has IS a dedicated tri frame. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: You REALLY need to get a clue.

5. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Hybrids too.But, all he knows is BS.And absolutely NOTHING about the history and evolution of the Caad series.

6. Peter Verdesi

Peter Verdesi New Member

Greetings from snow covered New York. I figured I'd update this post with a photo of my project bike. I've pretty much assembled the bike with the exception of the cables and chain. As you may notice the bike is not a Cannondale Caad 5 Multisport frame as originally posted but a 2000 Litespeed Saber with a Profile BSC carbon/carbon fork. I got the frame and fork for around $500.00 and I hope it should prove to be an upgrade to the Cannondale's aluminum (it did put me just a bit over my budget but you only live once, right?). In a couple of weeks I'm going to drop it off at the LBS for the final assembly (first race is May 8th). Spring is just around the corner. I'm getting the itch.

7. RBS

RBS New Member

have to agree with boudreaux on this one. the caad5, while maybe not the most blingful frame, can certainly be raced. if i was going the diy route to enter tri's i would start with a cdale frame. besides, the builder still has the option to upgrade the frame at a later date if the tri bug bites him big.

and if you crash, you won 't be crying because you scratched your pretty cf frame.

i built my road bike from scratch with ebay parts and while i made a few mistakes i learned a lot about the workings of the bike. could help you if something breaks on race day (murphy's law). unless you happen to be travelling with a full road crew.

good luck

bob

8. triguy98

triguy98 New Member

Nice lookin bike! However, I must ask that you PLEASE point those water bottles straight up. The pointed back position does not make them more aero, it just makes them missles to fire at the guy behind you when ya go over a hard bump.

9. Peter Verdesi

Peter Verdesi New Member

Thanks for the advise. I just checked out the rear bottle holder and it appears that the bottles can't be adjusted straight up (unless I'm retarded and can't figure it out). I'm probably going to get rid of the rear bottle anyway but, then again, firing missles at the competition has a certain appeal.:D

10. triguy98

triguy98 New Member

LOL. So I guess time penaltys appeal to ya, too! ;) Depending on the length of the tri, ya dont really need two bottles. I have my one Aero drink for sprints. Internationals, theres another on the back.

11. PeterF

PeterF New Member

I agree. I wouldn't drop a ton of $ on a frame at this point. First of all the CAAD5 is a good stiff frame (I know plenty of Cat 3 and 4 racers using that) albeit some might find it a bit harsh. The DA group will last for many thousand miles and you can always swap frames in a couple years if you decide you prefer something else.
    :cool:

12. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

Some days it takes a little more than legs to get someone off of your wheel.;)