Building a Colnago Master X Light

groskilly

Jul 10, 2004
So far I have the frame and I'm in the process of deciding the other components. My LBS says I really need to go with a Campy groupo because its Italian like the frame. What do you think ? Love to hear from others with a Master. What about hubs and wheels, head set and stem etc.

Anybody recognize this headset and stem ?
Headsetandstem.JPG

groskilly said:
So far I have the frame and I'm in the process of deciding the other components. My LBS says I really need to go with a Campy groupo because its Italian like the frame. What do you think ? Love to hear from others with a Master. What about hubs and wheels, head set and stem etc.

Headsetandstem.JPG

I'd pick the alloy Campy Athena package. It'd be perfecto. Of course, as a Campy user, I would say that.

The stem is a 3TTT Mutant.not sure on the headset from the photo but it looks like a campy one.

My vote on the groupset is Centaur w/ alloy cranks over carbon.

Well, you don't "really need to go with a Campy groupo because its Italian like the frame" BECAUSE that kind of statement indirectly infers that all those Asian fabricated frames should have Asian sourced components & hence SHIMANO would be the preferred component group (okay, FULCRUM components are apparently manufactured in Asia, too ...).

Having said that, I agree that you should focus your choice on Campagnolo components.

Are you getting the frameset without components? If you are getting the bike AS PICTURED, then I probably would only change the things which needed to be changed ...

If those are 9-speed shifters (nothing wrong with that, BTW), then I might consider upating to the "2009" 10-speed Centaur shifters + a 10-speed new cassette ...

Which components you choose would be based on your budget & aesthetic sensibilities based on your preference for alloy or carbon fiber.

BTW. Since the headset appears to be a Campagnolo Chorus headset, I'm going to presume that the rest of the components are also Chorus -- is that right OR is the frameset basically bare?

Since I, personally, don't feel a need to match all the components, I would only change the crank if the length is different from what you prefer to use.

groskilly said:

Headsetandstem.JPG

I think, even though that frame is still made, that it crys for downtube shifters. Campagnolo DT shifters, otherwise all else Campagnolo 10s 'stuff', it would be a marvelous ride.

But if ya gotta have lever mounted shifters, yes, Campagnolo. You wouldn't put Toyo tires on a Ferrari would ya?

Headsetandstem.JPG
You posted about the time I got a severe concussion so I don't know how it turned out. How did you end up building it?

I have Campy record or the occasional Chorus part on all of my bikes but I'll tell you - Shimano shifts so much better than I don't think that I'll be mounting Campy on anything else. Shimano rarely misses shifts and even if you adjust the Campy perfectly it is making noise after one ride.

for a bike like that I would find a NOS groupset of Campy Athena from the early 2000's that had the skeleton look in silver, that would be cool. The newer Potenza series has duplicated that same look, so that could be worth looking into as well since the other maybe difficult to find on EBay, but Athena has that classic ring to the name...LOL! Of course that's just my opinion, when I had my Mercian I had that Athena groupset and it looked killer on it.

This thread has been inactive for more than 10 years ... not much point responding to the OP's questions now.