Building a couple new bikes

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Flyingcoyote, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    Seems the season for deals, so I'm building the wife and I new bikes.

    So far this is what we've got (her spec's in parenthesis where different from mine):

    We're building them with a single front ring and with 9 speed cassettes. Not a singlespeed, nor a
    true geared pig. Hardtails.

    Have: Haro steel Singlespeed Werx frame [w/rear der hanger]. Hayes MAG XC hydraulic disk brakes.
    XTR rear short cage der. Litespeed ti stem (Easton carbon for her). Marzocchi Bomber Marathon SL
    '03 (Rock Shox SID Team '02 for her). WTB Rocket saddle. Titec seat post (Ritchey seat post). XT 9
    spd cassette.

    Still need: Easton Monkey Lite low-rise carbon bar (flat for her). Chris King headset. Time ATAC
    carbon pedals.

    In question: Cranks/Ring/BB - I'm thinking Race face Isis w/Isis bb. Probably a 34t singlespeed
    ring... not sure which yet. Wheels - I'm thinking Mavic 517's with Chris king hubs or Shimano XTR -
    depends on which I can get the better deal on when I'm ready to buy them.

    Any opinions or suggestions on the cranks and wheels? Most everything else we either got very nice
    deals on, already had the parts on hand or expect to get deals on.

    --

    FlyingCoyote http://boarsgut.com

  2. "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Still need: Easton Monkey Lite low-rise carbon bar (flat for her).

    Consider getting a Maxm bar instead.

    Easton moved production to Mexico, the QC has gone way downhill, and the MLs are devolping cracks
    near the stem area (I currently have an RA for two of them).

  3. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    "p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

    > "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Still need: Easton Monkey Lite low-rise carbon bar (flat for her).
    >
    > Consider getting a Maxm bar instead.
    >
    > Easton moved production to Mexico, the QC has gone way downhill, and the
    MLs
    > are devolping cracks near the stem area (I currently have an RA for two of them).

    What's up with that? For a long time I've heard that Easton carbon fiber bars can snap suddenly.
    Probably before the shift to Mexico. I've also heard bad things about their seat posts! It's nice
    that they have a lifetime warranty but will they also replace my teeth after a steerer tube knocks
    them out?!

    I've seriously been considering buying a couple Easton CF products to lighten my mtn bike up a bit,
    but I sure don't want to put up with BS like thIS. Those low gram counts are very tempting,
    though... Damn, what a dilemma.

    Dave

  4. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Still need: Easton Monkey Lite low-rise carbon bar (flat for her).
    >
    > Consider getting a Maxm bar instead.
    >
    > Easton moved production to Mexico, the QC has gone way downhill, and the MLs are devolping cracks
    > near the stem area (I currently have an RA for two of them).

    My new ride is going to have a NOS Easton Scandium bar. Digging around a bit can pay off sometimes.

    JD

  5. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > I've seriously been considering buying a couple Easton CF products to lighten my mtn bike up a
    > bit, but I sure don't want to put up with BS like thIS. Those low gram counts are very tempting,
    > though... Damn, what a dilemma.
    >
    > Dave

    Don't do it man. That's Pete, Mike Dart and myself had problems with the Easton CF bars. And that's
    just here in AM-B.

    The things aren't cheap ($) either. Better safe than sorry, and if a bar snapped in half, you'd
    really be sorry :^ (

    --
    Slacker

  6. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:15:22 +0000, FlyingCoyote wrote:

    > In question: Cranks/Ring/BB - I'm thinking Race face Isis w/Isis bb. Probably a 34t singlespeed
    > ring... not sure which yet. Wheels - I'm thinking Mavic 517's with Chris king hubs or Shimano XTR
    > - depends on which I can get the better deal on when I'm ready to buy them.

    The general concensus is that 618s are a lot better than 517s.

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

  7. "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:15:22 +0000, FlyingCoyote wrote:
    >
    > > In question: Cranks/Ring/BB - I'm thinking Race face Isis w/Isis bb. Probably a 34t singlespeed
    > > ring... not sure which yet. Wheels - I'm thinking Mavic 517's with Chris king hubs or Shimano
    > > XTR - depends on which I can get the better deal on when I'm ready to buy
    them.

    > The general concensus is that 618s are a lot better than 517s.

    Sadly no longer made, although a hunt around may turn some up.

    Steve.

  8. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  9. Gazzer

    Gazzer Guest

    "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Still need: Easton Monkey Lite low-rise carbon bar (flat for her).

    Everyone seems to know someone thats broken Easton carbon bars or posts, yet they've still got a
    bombproof "magazine" reputation. This should tell us something about magazines and the value of well
    placed bribes.

    Answer protaper all the way.

    cheers

  10. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:15:22 +0000, FlyingCoyote wrote:
    >
    > > In question: Cranks/Ring/BB - I'm thinking Race face Isis w/Isis bb. Probably a 34t singlespeed
    > > ring... not sure which yet. Wheels - I'm thinking Mavic 517's with Chris king hubs or Shimano
    > > XTR - depends on which I can get the better deal on when I'm ready to buy
    them.

    > The general concensus is that 618s are a lot better than 517s.

    They're getting harder to find, but, yes, they are. Double-eyeleted and as far as I know they don't
    split down the middle.

    Greg

  11. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    In news:[email protected],
    p e t e f a g e r l i n <[email protected]> scribbled:
    > "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Still need: Easton Monkey Lite low-rise carbon bar (flat for her).
    >
    > Consider getting a Maxm bar instead.
    >
    > Easton moved production to Mexico, the QC has gone way downhill, and the MLs are devolping cracks
    > near the stem area (I currently have an RA for two of them).

    Thanks for the heads-up!

    I was also looking at the Easton Scandium bar that JD mentioned. Also the RaceFace Next Lowriser XC
    Carbon Bar (ti weave at the stem to reduce crack possibilities).

    --

    FlyingCoyote http://boarsgut.com

    --

  12. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    > > On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:15:22 +0000, FlyingCoyote wrote:
    > >
    > > > In question: Cranks/Ring/BB - I'm thinking Race face Isis w/Isis bb. Probably a 34t
    > > > singlespeed ring... not sure which yet. Wheels - I'm thinking Mavic 517's with Chris king hubs
    > > > or Shimano
    XTR -
    > > > depends on which I can get the better deal on when I'm ready to buy
    > them.
    > >
    > > The general concensus is that 618s are a lot better than 517s.
    >
    > Sadly no longer made, although a hunt around may turn some up.

    Still available at Cambria, Coyote.

    Greg

  13. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    In news:[email protected],
    JD <[email protected]> scribbled:
    > "p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>> Still need: Easton Monkey Lite low-rise carbon bar (flat for her).
    >>
    >> Consider getting a Maxm bar instead.
    >>
    >> Easton moved production to Mexico, the QC has gone way downhill, and the MLs are devolping cracks
    >> near the stem area (I currently have an RA for two of them).
    >
    > My new ride is going to have a NOS Easton Scandium bar. Digging around a bit can pay off
    > sometimes.
    >
    > JD

    Hey JD.

    If I may ask, how tall are you, and what size frame do you prefer to ride? I was looking at the
    Easton Scandium bar (I can get a good deal on one) but they are med to high rise (2" or 2.5") which
    is a little much for XC. I prefer the lower rise bars (.75"-1.5").

    Do you normally run medium rise bars?

    Thanks,

    --

    FlyingCoyote http://boarsgut.com

    --

  14. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In news:[email protected], JD <[email protected]> scribbled:
    > > "p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]...
    > >>
    > >> Consider getting a Maxm bar instead.
    > >>
    > >> Easton moved production to Mexico, the QC has gone way downhill, and the MLs are devolping
    > >> cracks near the stem area (I currently have an RA for two of them).
    > >
    > > My new ride is going to have a NOS Easton Scandium bar. Digging around a bit can pay off
    > > sometimes.
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > Hey JD.
    >
    > If I may ask, how tall are you, and what size frame do you prefer to ride?
    > was looking at the Easton Scandium bar (I can get a good deal on one) but they are med to high
    > rise (2" or 2.5") which is a little much for XC. I prefer the lower rise bars (.75"-1.5").
    >
    > Do you normally run medium rise bars?

    He's pretty tall, like 7'2" or so.

    Greg

  15. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > In news:[email protected], JD <[email protected]> scribbled:
    > > "p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]...
    > >>
    > >> Consider getting a Maxm bar instead.
    > >>
    > >> Easton moved production to Mexico, the QC has gone way downhill, and the MLs are devolping
    > >> cracks near the stem area (I currently have an RA for two of them).
    > >
    > > My new ride is going to have a NOS Easton Scandium bar. Digging around a bit can pay off
    > > sometimes.
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > Hey JD.
    >
    > If I may ask, how tall are you, and what size frame do you prefer to ride? I was looking at the
    > Easton Scandium bar (I can get a good deal on one) but they are med to high rise (2" or 2.5")
    > which is a little much for XC. I prefer the lower rise bars (.75"-1.5").
    >
    > Do you normally run medium rise bars?
    >
    > Thanks,

    I'm 5'-19" and ride mostly custom frames. I run whatever fits the bike best and keeps the cockpit
    closest to the configuration of my other bikes.

    JD

  16. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > In news:[email protected], JD <[email protected]> scribbled:
    > > > "p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > My new ride is going to have a NOS Easton Scandium bar. Digging around a bit can pay off
    > > > sometimes.
    > > >
    > > > JD
    > >
    > > Hey JD.
    > >
    > > If I may ask, how tall are you, and what size frame do you prefer to ride?
    > > was looking at the Easton Scandium bar (I can get a good deal on one) but they are med to high
    > > rise (2" or 2.5") which is a little much for XC. I prefer the lower rise bars (.75"-1.5").
    > >
    > > Do you normally run medium rise bars?
    > >

    > He's pretty tall, like 7'2" or so.
    >
    > Greg

    I saw Shaq's custom Cannondale in Sid's shop in NY. What a freakshow. The head tube looked a foot
    and a half long.

    /s