Building a Fixed for winter road training

2LAP

Feb 22, 2002
Can anyone recomed me some parts and a frame for building up a cheap winter fixed.

Why would you WANT to ride fixed gear in the winter? I know the claimed benefits of fixed, I just don't see why the season would matter.

Try Sheldonbrown.com for all your fixed gear needs (and propaganda). Decent prices, excellent advice. You may also try eBay, but I've got to believe that shipping is awfully $$$ to that rock you live on ;-)

Simply want a fixed bike 'cos it'll be cheap, easy to maintain and I won't mind destroying it with my 40 miles a day commute in the English winter.

Oh yes! Just love riding through sleet and ice and careening motorists!

Sorry, not that fanatical. I'll check out Sheldon's.

2lap Are you riding the fixed SOLELY through the winter or using another winter bike?Reason why is that ive just build up a fixed gear for the winter, to use for the same reasons but wasnt too sure about maybe having a geared winter bike to use now and again aswell?

Call me crazy but I would think that at least simple gearing (3 speeds) would be even more important in cruddy conditions.

Maybe a "fixed gear" with a geared hub...

You could easily find a beater frame and get one of those conversion things for the rear dropout. Ask some bike shops if they have any frames they want to throw away.