Building a Hybrid

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bob D'Amato, Nov 29, 2003.

  1. Bob D'Amato

    Bob D'Amato Guest

    I am building a hybrid/city bike out of a Cannonade XR800 cyclocross frame and have a couple of
    questions. I would like to use the Ultegra triple (FC-6503) crank, the Ultegra FD-6503 Front
    Derailleur, RD 6500-GS rear, Ultegra 9 speed cassette, and Deore XT ST-M760 dual control levers. Are
    the Deore levers compatible with the Ultegra derailleurs? (I want to use a straight bar). If not, is
    there a MTB shifter that will work with the Ultegra components?

    ---

  2. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Bob D'Amato wrote:
    > I am building a hybrid/city bike out of a Cannonade XR800 cyclocross frame and have a couple of
    > questions. I would like to use the Ultegra triple (FC-6503) crank, the Ultegra FD-6503 Front
    > Derailleur, RD 6500-GS rear, Ultegra 9 speed cassette, and Deore XT ST-M760 dual control levers.
    > Are the Deore levers compatible with the Ultegra derailleurs? (I want to use a straight bar). If
    > not, is there a MTB shifter that will work with the Ultegra components?

    Can't say for sure but AFAIK all Shimano rear mechs have the same multiplier factor that is the
    amount of cable pull that is converted into mech cage movement per click. E.g. a cable pull of 2 mm
    will move the mech 5 mm is a
    2.5 multiplier - THIS IS AN EXAMPLE AND NOT REAL NUMBERS. Therefore all shifters must pull the same
    amount of cable per click therefore I would expect them to work.

    I have used 105 6 speed levers with a new XT rear mech perfectly.

  3. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Bob D'Amato" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I am building a hybrid/city bike out of a Cannonade XR800 cyclocross frame and have a couple of
    > questions. I would like to use the Ultegra triple (FC-6503) crank, the Ultegra FD-6503 Front
    > Derailleur, RD 6500-GS rear, Ultegra 9 speed cassette, and Deore XT ST-M760 dual control levers.
    > Are the Deore levers compatible with the Ultegra derailleurs? (I want to use a straight bar). If
    > not, is there a MTB shifter that will work with the Ultegra components?
    >

    > ---

    My ³cyclecross² has a flat bar with XTR rapid fire shifters. Fd = DuraAce Cranks = 53-39-30 Rd = XTR
    Casette = XTR

    The XTR shifter works fine, but you have to hold it shifting from 39-53. I may change out to a 42
    for the middle.

    Enjoy

  4. "Bob D'Amato" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am building a hybrid/city bike out of a Cannonade XR800 cyclocross frame and have a couple of
    > questions. I would like to use the Ultegra triple (FC-6503) crank, the Ultegra FD-6503 Front
    > Derailleur, RD 6500-GS rear, Ultegra 9 speed cassette, and Deore XT ST-M760 dual control
    > levers. Are
    the
    > Deore levers compatible with the Ultegra derailleurs? (I want to use a straight bar). If not, is
    > there a MTB shifter that will work with the Ultegra components?

    The rear derailleurs are cross compatible between mountain and road groups but the front derailleurs
    arent. Therefore, the Deore XT brake/shifters probably won't work well with the Ultegra FD. Shimano,
    however, makes road shifters for flat handlebars that look and work just like the mountain bike
    shifters and are compatible with your FD. Here they are available from a German mailorder company
    for 55 Euros:

    http://www.roseversand.de/rose_main.cfm?KAT_ID=1178&PRD_ID=12861&spr_id=1&MID=0&CID=175

    They shouldn't be hard to find where you are either.

    Rob Strickland

    In article <[email protected]>, Robert Strickland
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Bob D'Amato" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> I am building a hybrid/city bike out of a Cannonade XR800 cyclocross frame and have a couple of
    >> questions. I would like to use the Ultegra triple (FC-6503) crank, the Ultegra FD-6503 Front
    >> Derailleur, RD 6500-GS rear, Ultegra 9 speed cassette, and Deore XT ST-M760 dual control
    >> levers. Are
    >the
    >> Deore levers compatible with the Ultegra derailleurs? (I want to use a straight bar). If not, is
    >> there a MTB shifter that will work with the Ultegra components?
    >>

    >The rear derailleurs are cross compatible between mountain and road groups but the front
    >derailleurs arent. Therefore, the Deore XT brake/shifters probably won't work well with the Ultegra
    >FD. Shimano, however, makes road shifters for flat handlebars that look and work just like the
    >mountain bike shifters and are compatible with your FD. Here they are available from a German
    >mailorder company for 55 Euros:
    >
    >http://www.roseversand.de/rose_main.cfm?KAT_ID=1178&PRD_ID=12861&spr_id=1&MID=0&CID=175
    >
    >They shouldn't be hard to find where you are either.

    - - They also make a road front derailluer that works with flat bar shifters. See Sheldon Brown's
    website. Personally, I would search Ebay for old Deore thumb shifters, but I like friction
    shifting...

    _ Booker C. Bense

    iQCVAwUBP8oirWTWTAjn5N/lAQERnQP/aeu3ZA0gwPnhtutUE6M2mhFpEPsmcJlB
    KcpXsJip/QBlv6KNtSW3EBa9JP9Es8M4L9fMO5l2Doa+fnYI7a0wFRMqpSQMfer2
    /YDeJi0OqgF3nnN+KL2HZJQDhuXZJa2ceJ8jH6A1qaSf07dJjPC5ucfSyxOQ3S0o McpKyLK0dAQ= =xRmr -----END PGP
    SIGNATURE-----