Building a Marinoni frame up, or off the shelf

Jarery

Jul 15, 2005
hi folks

I'm looking for a bike that will allow me to keep up on group rides, do an occasional century, and be able to be ridden all year. Fenders in winter are a must.

I'm early 40's so want it to be least amount of road buzz and fatigue. 2 hours on my aluminum frame/fork bike now kills my wrists/hands. I ride daily 30-50 miles and im past the comfort of my current bike. I also hate going slow :p

So a fast sport touring bike or cyclocross bike seems to be the best fit. And cyclocross seems crazy enough i might try it :)

a list of what i would like is
-steel frame for the ride, longevity
-carbon fork for comfort
-slightly relaxed geometry, not full race like tdf, but not geriatric either.
-campy veloche groupset
-disc brakes would be nice but not essential

I cant find any off the shelf bike i like, and thats available in vancouver. Most have alum frames/forks. Very few stores even have anything left in stock so i have to wait 2-3 months anyways till 2006 models arrive

So i've almost talked myself into just buying a steel frame and having a lbs build it up. That way i can get the steel frame, carbon fork, and veloche groupset.

Marinoni is available here as a custom order, both the fango and tourismo. Has anyone ridden these, or compared them to others ? From what ive said above do you think either of those frames is the best fit for the type of cycling i plan on?

thanks in advance for any help/advice