Building a motorized bike?

On Wed, 03 May 2006 13:40:11 GMT, Q <[email protected]> wrote:

>A motorized bicycle is a great idea for low income people who can't
>afford to drive a car and can't peddle the distance. For under $300 you
>can buy an engine kit and a brand new cruiser bike and have a vehicle
>that will get you to work and back using a tiny amount of gas. I'm about
>to hop on mine and begin my 28 mile daily commute, and I enjoy the ride.

Pray that they do not become too popular; if it happens, they *will*
be regulated. Depend on it.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Wed, 03 May 2006 17:25:55 GMT, Werehatrack
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 03 May 2006 13:23:31 GMT, "Dave Lyon" <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>

>>> But do I think the risk of causing massive property damage or injury to
>>> someone else on my motorbike is very high? No. Certainly it's not a
>>> high enough risk to justify voluntarily doing business with people who
>>> bribed the government into requiring me to buy their profit-making
>>> product. I can be coerced into buying it, but I won't voluntarily do
>>> business with that kind of gangster.
>>>
>>> Chalo Colina
>>>

>>I wonder...Do you plan on using a mortician in the future.
>>They did the same thing. :)

>This is one place where a little deregulation might go a long way. A
>century ago, in much of the US, it was still legal for a family to
>simply bury the deceased themselves in the family plot. I know that
>there are states where this is not the case now.

Dear Werehatrack,

You do-it-yourselfers and mail-order casket companies will
be the death of the local body shop. I append a dignified
brochure in rebuttal.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Chapter 43 The Art of Inhumation

ABOUT the same time, I encountered a man in the street, whom
I had not seen for six or seven years; and something like
this talk followed. I said--

'But you used to look sad and oldish; you don't now. Where
did you get all this youth and bubbling cheerfulness? Give
me the address.'

He chuckled blithely, took off his shining tile, pointed to
a notched pink circlet of paper pasted into its crown, with
something lettered on it, and went on chuckling while I
read, 'J. B----, UNDERTAKER.' Then he clapped his hat on,
gave it an irreverent tilt to leeward, and cried out--

'That's what's the matter! It used to be rough times with
me when you knew me--insurance-agency business, you know;
mighty irregular. Big fire, all right--brisk trade for ten
days while people scared; after that, dull policy-business
till next fire. Town like this don't have fires often
enough--a fellow strikes so many dull weeks in a row that he
gets discouraged. But you bet you, this is the business!
People don't wait for examples to die. No, sir, they drop
off right along--there ain't any dull spots in the
undertaker line. I just started in with two or three little
old coffins and a hired hearse, and now look at the thing!
I've worked up a business here that would satisfy any man,
don't care who he is. Five years ago, lodged in an attic;
live in a swell house now, with a mansard roof, and all the
modern inconveniences.'

'Does a coffin pay so well. Is there much profit on a
coffin?'

'Go-way! How you talk!' Then, with a confidential wink, a
dropping of the voice, and an impressive laying of his hand
on my arm; 'Look here; there's one thing in this world which
isn't ever cheap. That's a coffin. There's one thing in this
world which a person don't ever try to jew you down on.
That's a coffin. There's one thing in this world which a
person don't say--"I'll look around a little, and if I find
I can't do better I'll come back and take it." That's a
coffin. There's one thing in this world which a person
won't take in pine if he can go walnut; and won't take in
walnut if he can go mahogany; and won't take in mahogany
if he can go an iron casket with silver door-plate and
bronze handles. That's a coffin. And there's one thing in
this world which you don't have to worry around after a
person to get him to pay for. And that's a coffin.
Undertaking?--why it's the dead-surest business in
Christendom, and the nobbiest.

'Why, just look at it. A rich man won't have anything but
your very best; and you can just pile it on, too--pile it on
and sock it to him--he won't ever holler. And you take in a
poor man, and if you work him right he'll bust himself on a
single lay-out. Or especially a woman. F'r instance: Mrs.
O'Flaherty comes in--widow--wiping her eyes and kind of
moaning. Unhandkerchiefs one eye, bats it around tearfully
over the stock; says--

'"And fhat might ye ask for that wan?"

'"Thirty-nine dollars, madam," says I.

'"It 's a foine big price, sure, but Pat shall be buried
like a gintleman, as he was, if I have to work me fingers
off for it. I'll have that wan, sor."

'"Yes, madam," says I, "and it is a very good one, too; not
costly, to be sure, but in this life we must cut our garment
to our clothes, as the saying is." And as she starts out, I
heave in, kind of casually, "This one with the white satin
lining is a beauty, but I am afraid--well, sixty-five
dollars is a rather--rather--but no matter, I felt obliged
to say to Mrs. O'Shaughnessy--"

'"D'ye mane to soy that Bridget O'Shaughnessy bought the
mate to that joo-ul box to ship that dhrunken divil to
Purgatory in?"

'"Yes, madam."

'"Then Pat shall go to heaven in the twin to it, if it takes
the last rap the O'Flaherties can raise; and moind you,
stick on some extras, too, and I'll give ye another dollar."

'And as I lay-in with the livery stables, of course I don't
forget to mention that Mrs. O'Shaughnessy hired fifty-four
dollars' worth of hacks and flung as much style into
Dennis's funeral as if he had been a duke or an assassin.
And of course she sails in and goes the O'Shaughnessy
about four hacks and an omnibus better. That used to be,
but that's all played now; that is, in this particular town.
The Irish got to piling up hacks so, on their funerals, that
a funeral left them ragged and hungry for two years
afterward; so the priest pitched in and broke it all up. He
don't allow them to have but two hacks now, and sometimes
only one.'

'Well,' said I, 'if you are so light-hearted and jolly in
ordinary times, what must you be in an epidemic?'

He shook his head.

'No, you're off, there. We don't like to see an epidemic.
An epidemic don't pay. Well, of course I don't mean that,
exactly; but it don't pay in proportion to the regular
thing. Don't it occur to you, why?'

No.

'Think.'

'I can't imagine. What is it?'

'It's just two things.'

'Well, what are they?'

'One's Embamming.'

'And what's the other?'

'Ice.'

'How is that?'

'Well, in ordinary times, a person dies, and we lay him up
in ice; one day two days, maybe three, to wait for friends
to come. Takes a lot of it--melts fast. We charge jewelry
rates for that ice, and war-prices for attendance. Well,
don't you know, when there's an epidemic, they rush 'em to
the cemetery the minute the breath's out. No market for ice
in an epidemic. Same with Embamming. You take a family
that's able to embam, and you've got a soft thing. You can
mention sixteen different ways to do it--though there AIN'T
only one or two ways, when you come down to the bottom facts
of it--and they'll take the highest-priced way, every time.
It's human nature--human nature in grief. It don't reason,
you see. Time being, it don't care a dam. All it wants is
physical immortality for deceased, and they're willing to
pay for it. All you've got to do is to just be ca'm and
stack it up--they'll stand the racket. Why, man, you can
take a defunct that you couldn't GIVE away; and get your
embamming traps around you and go to work; and in a couple
of hours he is worth a cool six hundred--that's what HE'S
worth. There ain't anything equal to it but trading rats
for di'monds in time of famine. Well, don't you see, when
there's an epidemic, people don't wait to embam. No, indeed
they don't; and it hurts the business like hell-th, as we
say--hurts it like hell-th, HEALTH, see?--Our little joke in
the trade. Well, I must be going. Give me a call whenever
you need any--I mean, when you're going by, sometime.'

In his joyful high spirits, he did the exaggerating himself,
if any has been done. I have not enlarged on him.

With the above brief references to inhumation, let us leave
the subject. As for me, I hope to be cremated. I made that
remark to my pastor once, who said, with what he seemed to
think was an impressive manner--

'I wouldn't worry about that, if I had your chances.'

Much he knew about it--the family all so opposed to it.

--Mark Twain, "Life on the Mississippi"

"stryped" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> x-no-archive:yes
>
> I posted a few days ago about using a bike to get to work to save on
> gas. I live about 20 miles away. I have a place I can park my truck and
> ride from their. It is 14 miles away.
>
> I rode this weekend my Wal Mart trail bike. It too roughly 24 minutes
> to go 4.6 miles and that included time it took to fix my chain that
> came off when shifting.
>
> Always wanted to toy with the idea of adding a motor to my bike. I have
> seen those ones with rollers that drive the wheel but I would think it
> would wear the tire down with regular use. A better way to go seems
> like a chain and sprocket but then I would not be able to pedal if the
> motor quit working or I just wanted to use it as a regular bicycle,
> right?
>
> All of this 20 miles is open roads, no stopping bacially highway
> driving. (Not in a city).
>
> I have a 3 horsepower Briggs and stratton at home that I thought of
> playing with but I am guessing it would be too heavy. (??) I bet it
> would fly though.
>
> Any advice?

3 hp Brigs means a Motorcycle or Moped. It exceeds the 49cc rule and the
Electric Bicycle 750W rule. Not a good thing to put on any bicycle since
the bicycle has a hard time meeting the safety DOT standards of a Motorized
Vehicle.

Electrify it

It all depends on what state you live in, or country for that mater. Not
all states have a 49cc or 750 watt rule.

Werehatrack wrote:

> Pray that they do not become too popular; if it happens, they *will*
> be regulated. Depend on it.

Most jurisdictions alreay have laws on the books to regulate powered
bicycles. Generally they either restrict the horspower, displacement, or
speed potential before they are required to be registered and licenced
as motor vehicles.

This gets covered from time to time on variuos sites relating to Human
powered vehicles, and power assisted bicycles. Power assisted bicycles
have been around foer a very long time, and pretty much represent the
origins of motorcycles as they are.

The short of it is that if you install too big an engine, or one that
can make your bike exceed a set speed, then ride it on public property,
yer in the excrement with the authorities. What you do on your own
property has not yet been completely regulated to death.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

On Thu, 04 May 2006 00:41:38 GMT, Q <[email protected]> wrote:

>It all depends on what state you live in, or country for that mater. Not
>all states have a 49cc or 750 watt rule.

And Ontario does NOT allow motor assisted bicycles, PERIOD.
Mopeds, yes. Limited speed motorcycles(max 50cc, no pedals, like a
small Vespa), yes. Electrified bicycles, nope. Hopefully the law will
be changed by this summer, but don't hold your breath.

On 2 May 2006 20:46:10 -0700, "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Jasper Janssen wrote:
>>
>> Chalo wrote:
>>
>> >I used to pay $140/yr for liability
>> >insurance on my Suzuki GSX1100G back in Texas. Now in Washington, I
>> >pay nothing (because WA does not require liability insurance on
>> >motorcycles).

>> Isn't it a good idea to have it nonetheless? Or does your personal
>> liability insurance cover it?

>It depends on what you mean by "good idea". My first concern should I
>be in a serious motorcycle accident is whether I have health insurance
>on myself, which I do. I suppose my second priority is to have life
>insurance on myself, which I do.
>
>But do I think the risk of causing massive property damage or injury to
>someone else on my motorbike is very high? No. Certainly it's not a
>high enough risk to justify voluntarily doing business with people who
>bribed the government into requiring me to buy their profit-making
>product. I can be coerced into buying it, but I won't voluntarily do
>business with that kind of gangster.
>
>Chalo Colina

There have been some SERIOUS accidents involving motorcycles, where a
LOT of damage has been done to third parties.Liability insurance on
anything more than a moped SHOULD be mandatory. In Ontario, it is also
mandatory on Mopeds now (and a limited speed Motorcycle Licence is
also required)(M with L condition)

clare wrote:

> Chalo wrote:
> >
> >But do I think the risk of causing massive property damage or injury to
> >someone else on my motorbike is very high? No. Certainly it's not a
> >high enough risk to justify voluntarily doing business with people who
> >bribed the government into requiring me to buy their profit-making
> >product. I can be coerced into buying it, but I won't voluntarily do
> >business with that kind of gangster.

> There have been some SERIOUS accidents involving motorcycles, where a
> LOT of damage has been done to third parties.Liability insurance on
> anything more than a moped SHOULD be mandatory. In Ontario, it is also
> mandatory on Mopeds now (and a limited speed Motorcycle Licence is
> also required)(M with L condition)

People have died in lawnmower accidents, and under fallen bookshelves.
It doesn't mean that those things should have mandatory liability
insurance. A motorcycle is at least one order of magnitude less likely
than a car to inflict serious injury or property damage outside of the
bike and its rider(s), and I believe that Washington State law
acknowledges that.

When I was required by law to have coverage on my motorcycle, I did.
Now I don't. You are free to do business with gangsters when you don't
have to, if it tickles your fancy.

Ontario hasn't even legalized low-power electric-assist bicycles yet,
so I don't think their policies are an example of good judgment in this
instance.

Chalo Colina

On 3 May 2006 20:09:23 -0700, "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote:

>clare wrote:
>>
>> Chalo wrote:
>> >
>> >But do I think the risk of causing massive property damage or injury to
>> >someone else on my motorbike is very high? No. Certainly it's not a
>> >high enough risk to justify voluntarily doing business with people who
>> >bribed the government into requiring me to buy their profit-making
>> >product. I can be coerced into buying it, but I won't voluntarily do
>> >business with that kind of gangster.

>> There have been some SERIOUS accidents involving motorcycles, where a
>> LOT of damage has been done to third parties.Liability insurance on
>> anything more than a moped SHOULD be mandatory. In Ontario, it is also
>> mandatory on Mopeds now (and a limited speed Motorcycle Licence is
>> also required)(M with L condition)

>People have died in lawnmower accidents, and under fallen bookshelves.
>It doesn't mean that those things should have mandatory liability
>insurance. A motorcycle is at least one order of magnitude less likely
>than a car to inflict serious injury or property damage outside of the
>bike and its rider(s), and I believe that Washington State law
>acknowledges that.
>
>When I was required by law to have coverage on my motorcycle, I did.
>Now I don't. You are free to do business with gangsters when you don't
>have to, if it tickles your fancy.
>
>Ontario hasn't even legalized low-power electric-assist bicycles yet,
>so I don't think their policies are an example of good judgment in this
>instance.
>
>Chalo Colina

Didn't say I agreed with Ontario - as they require liability
insurance on Mopeds - I said it should be mandatory on anything
bigger/faster/heavier than mopeds. They do damage on public property.
Lawn mowers do damage on private property, and when they do third
party damage, they are covered under homeowners liability. Motor bikes
are NOT.
Do serious damage with an uninsured motorcycle and see how far )r how
fast) a million dollars goes. Particularly if you did something stupid
to cause the damage (and MOST damage done by motorcycles results from
actions that, at best, could be described as "stupid") and the courts
decide to make an example of you.

I recently got a Tidalforce M750X. It's an electric bike with a 750
watt motor (1000 watts in 'turbo' mode; not strictly legal to use on
the road) and it does a good job getting me to work. Top speed is
about 30mph. It's very stealthy looking; motor and battery is in the
hubs, so it looks like a bike with funny wheels. When the motor is
off, the hub freewheels and you can pedal it like any other bike out
there.

For conversions, I have been hearing very good things about the
Crystalyte X-5 series of hub motors, available from PoweRideStore. See
link below. It comes as a front or rear hub; you have to retrofit the
bike yourself. You will also likely want a better battery than the one
they sell. Batteryspace makes some good li-ion and ni-mh batteries
that can be used for that purpose.

http://www.poweridestore.com/Hub-Motor-Kits/X-5-Hub-Motor-Kit/X-5-750W-Rear-Hub-Motor-Kit

http://www.batteryspace.com/

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I recently got a Tidalforce M750X. It's an electric bike with a 750
> watt motor (1000 watts in 'turbo' mode; not strictly legal to use on
> the road) and it does a good job getting me to work. Top speed is
> about 30mph. It's very stealthy looking; motor and battery is in the
> hubs, so it looks like a bike with funny wheels. When the motor is
> off, the hub freewheels and you can pedal it like any other bike out
> there.
>
> For conversions, I have been hearing very good things about the
> Crystalyte X-5 series of hub motors, available from PoweRideStore. See
> link below. It comes as a front or rear hub; you have to retrofit the
> bike yourself. You will also likely want a better battery than the one
> they sell. Batteryspace makes some good li-ion and ni-mh batteries
> that can be used for that purpose.

http://www.poweridestore.com/Hub-Motor-Kits/X-5-Hub-Motor-Kit/X-5-750W-Rear-Hub-Motor-Kit

> http://www.batteryspace.com/

1000 watt is a bit high for most states. Here is one that should be legal
for those states that allow Electric Bikes.

http://www.werelectrified.com/10ampkit.htm

wrote:

>This is one place where a little deregulation might go a long way. A
>century ago, in much of the US, it was still legal for a family to
>simply bury the deceased themselves in the family plot. I know that
>there are states where this is not the case now.

a) the coroner needs to be involved, and this is a good and proper piece
of regulation and b) it's very bad for the ground water.

Jasper

On Wed, 03 May 2006 22:39:27 -0400, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

>There have been some SERIOUS accidents involving motorcycles, where a
>LOT of damage has been done to third parties.Liability insurance on
>anything more than a moped SHOULD be mandatory

s/moped/bicycle/. As is the case here.

Jasper

On 3 May 2006 20:09:23 -0700, "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote:

>People have died in lawnmower accidents, and under fallen bookshelves.
>It doesn't mean that those things should have mandatory liability
>insurance. A motorcycle is at least one order of magnitude less likely
>than a car to inflict serious injury or property damage outside of the
>bike and its rider(s), and I believe that Washington State law
>acknowledges that.
>
>When I was required by law to have coverage on my motorcycle, I did.
>Now I don't. You are free to do business with gangsters when you don't
>have to, if it tickles your fancy.

I don't particularly care whether it's an order of magnitude smaller,
which on a per-time and per-mile basis I'd actually doubt, but if you're
driving something that can easily cripple me around on public roads, you
had damn well better be able to pay for my medical costs and lost income
when you hit me. Which you can't without insurance, unless you're Bill
Gates.

Your bookshelves cannot ever kill me if I'm not in your house, and you
don't drive your lawnmower on public streets, do you?

Jasper

On Thu, 04 May 2006 12:46:52 -0400, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

>Do serious damage with an uninsured motorcycle and see how far )r how
>fast) a million dollars goes. Particularly if you did something stupid
>to cause the damage (and MOST damage done by motorcycles results from
>actions that, at best, could be described as "stupid") and the courts
>decide to make an example of you.

The biggest problem is that all you can take off a man is all he has,
which isn't nearly enough, generally. A few hundred k at most generally
exhausts people's assets, and that's not even enough to pay for relatively
minor incidents (minor being the ones where the guy you hit dies. If he
lives you're *really* up **** creek without a paddle).

Jasper

Jasper Janssen wrote:

> Chalo wrote::
>
> >People have died in lawnmower accidents, and under fallen bookshelves.
> >It doesn't mean that those things should have mandatory liability
> >insurance. A motorcycle is at least one order of magnitude less likely
> >than a car to inflict serious injury or property damage outside of the
> >bike and its rider(s), and I believe that Washington State law
> >acknowledges that.
> >
> >When I was required by law to have coverage on my motorcycle, I did.
> >Now I don't. You are free to do business with gangsters when you don't
> >have to, if it tickles your fancy.

> I don't particularly care whether it's an order of magnitude smaller,
> which on a per-time and per-mile basis I'd actually doubt, but if you're
> driving something that can easily cripple me around on public roads, you
> had damn well better be able to pay for my medical costs and lost income
> when you hit me. Which you can't without insurance, unless you're Bill
> Gates.

I could easily cripple or kill you if I ran into you on my bicycle, in
a public street. I weigh more than 400 lbs. together with my bike, and
I routinely attain downhill speeds of more than 40 mph in town. Do you
think I should have liability insurance on my bicycle too?

You have to draw the line somewhere, and say that beyond some point the
obligation to carry insurance is upon the person who wants to be
insured, or upon the government. I believe that the State of
Washington has made a good judgment when they opted not to require
liability insurance for motorcycles.

Chalo Colina

Jasper Janssen wrote:

> The biggest problem is that all you can take off a man is all he has,
> which isn't nearly enough, generally. A few hundred k at most generally
> exhausts people's assets, and that's not even enough to pay for relatively
> minor incidents (minor being the ones where the guy you hit dies. If he
> lives you're *really* up **** creek without a paddle).

And the reason that medical care is so stinking expensive compared to
any other comparably skilled service is because most people rely on
insurance to pay for it. IOW, insurance creates a problem that it
takes insurance to address.

Gangsters. Like I said before.

Chalo

x-no-archive:yes

How long would an electric work with alot of hills? Like how many
miles?
Daryl Hunt wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I recently got a Tidalforce M750X. It's an electric bike with a 750
> > watt motor (1000 watts in 'turbo' mode; not strictly legal to use on
> > the road) and it does a good job getting me to work. Top speed is
> > about 30mph. It's very stealthy looking; motor and battery is in the
> > hubs, so it looks like a bike with funny wheels. When the motor is
> > off, the hub freewheels and you can pedal it like any other bike out
> > there.
> >
> > For conversions, I have been hearing very good things about the
> > Crystalyte X-5 series of hub motors, available from PoweRideStore. See
> > link below. It comes as a front or rear hub; you have to retrofit the
> > bike yourself. You will also likely want a better battery than the one
> > they sell. Batteryspace makes some good li-ion and ni-mh batteries
> > that can be used for that purpose.
> >

> http://www.poweridestore.com/Hub-Motor-Kits/X-5-Hub-Motor-Kit/X-5-750W-Rear-Hub-Motor-Kit
> >
> > http://www.batteryspace.com/

> 1000 watt is a bit high for most states. Here is one that should be legal
> for those states that allow Electric Bikes.
>
> http://www.werelectrified.com/10ampkit.htm

> On Thu, 04 May 2006 00:41:38 GMT, Q <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >It all depends on what state you live in, or country for that mater. Not
> >all states have a 49cc or 750 watt rule.

> And Ontario does NOT allow motor assisted bicycles, PERIOD.
> Mopeds, yes. Limited speed motorcycles(max 50cc, no pedals, like a
> small Vespa), yes. Electrified bicycles, nope. Hopefully the law will
> be changed by this summer, but don't hold your breath.

The only way to get the laws changed is to threaten the jobs of the
Politicians. Around here, elections are coming later on but they are the
off time ones. In 2 years, the heavyweight one hits where many of the jobs
will be up for grabs. That is the time to get out the word and get out the
vote.

See http://www.i70west.com/electricbicycle

> >Daryl Hunt wrote:
> >

> >> 3 hp Brigs means a Motorcycle or Moped. It exceeds the 49cc rule and

the
> >> Electric Bicycle 750W rule. Not a good thing to put on any bicycle

since
> >> the bicycle has a hard time meeting the safety DOT standards of a

Motorized
> >> Vehicle.
> >>
> >> Electrify it

"stryped" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> x-no-archive:yes
>
> How long would an electric work with alot of hills? Like how many
> miles?

Ideally, (170 lb rider, level ground) the range of a 24V, 20VAH batteries
with 26in wheels would be about 15 miles. You can increase you distance by
decreasing the weight of the rider, increasing the Motor Voltage and Battery
capacity or help it by pedaling.

Going uphill, most legal electric bicycles don't have the power to go up a
steep grade. Plus, even a moderate one draws quite a bit of power. You
assist it by pedaling. The more you pedal the less electrical power drain
you have; the more range you have.

How may miles? Too many variables to figure. But hills equal less distance
even with the coasting and freewheeling downhill that draws zero power.