Building a race-able road bike!

letterswewrote

Jul 23, 2006
hello all. totally new here. ive been riding a hand-made da-vinci commuter-type bike but id really like to build an actual race-ready road bike. so any suggestions on where to start? im looking to keep the price pretty low, around 5 or 600. it will be my first racing bike so i dont need pro-level gear- just light, reliable, and good enough to get me started. thanks all.

thomas

letterswewrote said:
hello all. totally new here. ive been riding a hand-made devinci commuter-type bike but id really like to build an actual race-ready road bike. so any suggestions on where to start? im looking to keep the price pretty low, around 5 or 600. it will be my first racing bike so i dont need pro-level gear- just light, reliable, and good enough to get me started. thanks all.

thomas
also, the 27 speeds on my hybrid are way too much. they just arent getting used- so keep in mind id like perhaps a 9 or 10 speed.

I just paid, $630ish for a Tommaso from rscycle.com. I have read alot of about Tommaso and their quality. They even offer free shipping in the US. It has 105 components as well as Tiagra. For a budget minded bike, I don't think you can beat this price. Good luck to you.

letterswewrote said:
hello all. totally new here. ive been riding a hand-made da-vinci commuter-type bike but id really like to build an actual race-ready road bike. so any suggestions on where to start? im looking to keep the price pretty low, around 5 or 600. it will be my first racing bike so i dont need pro-level gear- just light, reliable, and good enough to get me started. thanks all.

thomas
===========================================================
There's plenty of good secondhand bikes around. Cheap as chips and generally bikes don't get used to worn out stage - most are under used(except mine...:p ).
If in doubt - take it to a shop/bike knowledgeable friend to check out
I notice on ebay there are a number of well priced, 2 - 3 year old Cannondales etc for little money.

letterswewrote said:

thomas

great, thanks very much guys. talking to a friend yesterday he showed me his cannondale he got off ebay... very nice- ultegra components- flight deck up front- all for about 400 bucks cause the thing had a ding in the frame- though it didnt effect the frames integrity at all. crazy.