Building a recumbent

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Colin Blackburn, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. Well, I took the plunge and ordered one of those Dutch recumbent kits. The money has been
    transferred and the package is being despatched. So, which bike to butcher. As I am trying to buy
    as little extra stuff as possible I am considering butchering one of my existing bikes---though I
    may yet buy something second hand. My question, before I get a hacksaw out on any bike, is whether
    to make the rear wheel 26" or 700c. The front wheel will be 20", does it matter that much what goes
    on the back?

    Colin

    Tags:

  2. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > Well, I took the plunge and ordered one of those Dutch recumbent kits. The money has been
    > transferred and the package is being despatched. So, which bike to butcher. As I am trying to buy
    > as little extra stuff as possible I am considering butchering one of my existing bikes---though I
    > may yet buy something second hand. My question, before I get a hacksaw out on any bike, is whether
    > to make the rear wheel 26" or 700c. The front wheel will be 20", does it matter that much what
    > goes on the back?

    ISTR there were some size constraints mentioned in the online manual for the rear triangle from the
    donor bike. My personal preference would be for a 26" rear triangle from a mountain bike with
    canti/V bosses on it, if it meets the constraints. The most significant reason would be strength, as
    I've noticed more weight on the rear wheel when riding my (homebuilt) recumbent compared to a
    regular bike.

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

    Aye!.

  3. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > My question, before I get a hacksaw out on any bike, is whether to make the rear wheel 26" or
    > 700c. The front wheel will be 20", does it matter that much what goes on the back?

    Ultimately, not really, I'd think. The original Streetmachine had a 700c rear, as did the Orbit
    Crystal and much else besides, so there's plenty of evidence to say it'll work okay. I'd be inclined
    to go for whichever makes most sense from your existing stock of tubes and tyres if all else is
    equal, though availability of halfway decent hack bike to hack to bits would be the most obvious
    criterion to work from IMHO.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  4. Garry Broad

    Garry Broad Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:

    > Andy Dingley wrote:
    >

    >>I'm an incipient Fat Bastard. The only time I allow myself a "few beers" is if I've cycled a few
    >>miles to get there.
    >

    > Absolutely. BHPC definitions:
    >
    > Training = riding to the pub Advanced training: riding to a pub slightly further away than usual

    Presumably, then: Interval training = a pub crawl by bike Training down = riding back from the pub
    Winter training = riding the hack bike to the pub. Cross training = riding to the pub and walking
    back the next day to get the bike.

    What does the H stand for if B=Bicycle and PC=Pub Crawlers? :)

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

    Aye!.

  5. Steve Watkin

    Steve Watkin Guest

    Hello Colin,

    Please keep me (or the group) posted on the progress of this little project. I have been looking at
    this myself but lack the courage and finances to jump in yet! BTW I can't see a significant
    difference between the two wheel sizes. I used to own an Ross Crystal with a 700c and now own a
    Trice with a 26" wheel. The only real thing to consider is that there seems to be many more types of
    26" tyres available.

    SW

    Regards SW

    > Well, I took the plunge and ordered one of those Dutch recumbent kits. The money has been
    > transferred and the package is being despatched. So, which bike to butcher. As I am trying to buy
    > as little extra stuff as possible I am considering butchering one of my existing bikes---though I
    > may yet buy something second hand. My question, before I get a hacksaw out on any bike, is whether
    > to make the rear wheel 26" or 700c. The front wheel will be 20", does it matter that much what
    > goes on the back?
    >
    > Colin

  6. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Steve Watkin
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Well, I took the plunge and ordered one of those Dutch recumbent kits.
    > > The money has been transferred and the package is being despatched.

    Do you have a url? I've tried google without success.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

  7. >> Well, I took the plunge and ordered one of those Dutch recumbent kits. The money has been
    >> transferred and the package is being despatched. So, which bike to butcher.

    The one I saw had a Raleigh rear end, and Raleighs do seem to be virtually indestructible; a friend
    has one that's been in the family for 15-20 years and another just bought one of like vintage; both
    are still in tip top condition.

    Mark van Gorkom.

    P.S.: someone asked about the url: http://www.dutchbikes.nl/uk.htm

  8. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

  9. In article <[email protected]>, Steve.Watkin1 @btinternet.com says...
    > Please keep me (or the group) posted on the progress of this little project. I have been looking
    > at this myself but lack the courage and finances to jump in yet!

    I will do. Phase one has successfully taken place. They have the money and now I have a large box
    sitting in my office with Dutch Speed bicycles written on the side.

    > BTW I can't see a significant difference between the two wheel sizes. I used to own an Ross
    > Crystal with a 700c and now own a Trice with a 26" wheel. The only real thing to consider is that
    > there seems to be many more types of 26" tyres available.

    From other comments both frames support (have) V-brakes. I think I'll measure up once I have
    downloaded the manual and then decide my options. I may yet try to find a cheap bike or just a frame
    and temporarily move bits of mech between bikes.

    Colin