Building a road bike, need advice. Please!!

campbellj

Feb 7, 2010
Hello everyone! I'm Jonathan, from S. Florida, new to the forum. I recently found a great deal on a Litespeed Saber frame in my size, 49cm so I bought it. I am new to road bikes, I have always been on Mtn. bikes. I don't really want to cut corners anywhere on the bike, so I plan to put all new 2010 ultegra components on it, with carbon bars, stem, seat post ect...

The biggest issue I am having is choosing wheels. I have to get 650c size, so it seems my choices are limited. I have seen sets of Zipp 404 sell on ebay all tubular in the 5-600 range, which seems to be about my range. I just don't know if I should go with tubular wheels for a "all around" wheel set. I like the look of low spoke count wheels, or carbon wheels like the zipps. I have also thought about just getting a set of bontrager select aero wheels for now, so I can get rolling and upgrade later, but then again I would rather just spend the money now and not have to later. I guess I am kind of being a weight weenie, but oh well, I'm new and excited, and would like a lightweight bike. Any wheel suggestions? Is lightweight wheels really going to make a difference to me right now being a beginner? Any thing I should stay away from? Tubular/Clincher? What should I do??

Lightweight wheels aren't going to make any difference that you'll notice. Also, being new to the road bike scene, I'd get clincher wheels. Getting more road miles under you butt and more experience hearing about and learning about the array of equipment available in the road bike world will give the time and tools to later decide for yourself whether you want to make the switch to tubulars.

As for what wheels to buy, you're a perfect candidate for a custom wheelset. You can have a set of wheels built for you and specifically for your needs and the way you intend to ride, all while getting a set of wheels that costs at or under the price you've given. That means you can choose, with your builder, rims, spokes, hubs, number of spokes, colors, and so on. Said wheels will be at least as good as any factory built wheelset on the shelves. Later, if you want an aero wheelset (something similar to Zipp 404s), a custom builder can again build that, with same rims the Zipp 404 set uses, or for that matter any of many other aero rims. You can even get the aero rims in clincher form if such is your desire.

We, the people that crawl around this site, can provide a healthy list of reputable wheel builders if you're interested. If you're interested, put a white, chalk 'X' on your bathroom window.

One things stands out in your post "49 cm". I am assuming you are not a tall person since this is a small frame.

Yea, I was thinking tubular wheels might be too much headache for me at this point. I just want to be able to go out and ride, and then maybe after I get into better shape if a race comes along I could go for that too. Plus living in south Florida there are not that many hills to ride over, just bridges and such over the intercoastal or freeways. I am open to all ideas with custom wheels, more info on that would be cool.

I am 5'5 and have a 27-28 inch inseam. I have test rode a few bikes at local shops and 49-50 cm always fit me best with 50 feeling a little large with some brands. I have always wanted Litespeed and found this frame so I couldn't pass up on it for the price, which finally gave me an excuse to get into road biking.

campbellj said:
Yea, I was thinking tubular wheels might be too much headache for me at this point. I just want to be able to go out and ride, and then maybe after I get into better shape if a race comes along I could go for that too. Plus living in south Florida there are not that many hills to ride over, just bridges and such over the intercoastal or freeways. I am open to all ideas with custom wheels, more info on that would be cool.

I am 5'5 and have a 27-28 inch inseam. I have test rode a few bikes at local shops and 49-50 cm always fit me best with 50 feeling a little large with some brands. I have always wanted Litespeed and found this frame so I couldn't pass up on it for the price, which finally gave me an excuse to get into road biking.

Sounds reasonable.