Building A Road Bike! Need Advice

Antedev

Feb 21, 2015
Hi everyone,

So i decided to build my own bike as a fun project to see what can a build for the least amount of money using used parts, so far i only got the frameset which is a bianchi vigorelli 2005 i got that for About 120usd. Dont know if thats a good price for it but it came with shimano ultegra breaks on it and a front derailleur. Now i have noidea where to go from here :(...

Should i buy a whole used shimano ultegra set perhaps?? Newer models??
How do i know what will fit on my bike?
Any advice help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

A.

Since it has the Ultegra brakes and FD I would just get a 10 speed Ultegra RD, they're not that much money around $60. Wheel wise you can get some really decent pair of Shimano WH-R501-30 at Rose for $124 including shipping, these wheels have the 105 hubs but they are very sturdy bombproof wheel.

Pedals are wide open for whatever you like, if you want clipless and cheap than probably the Shimano PD-R540 or for a bit more the 105 pedal, if all you want is a standard platform pedal than Wellgo B103 or the nearly indestructible SunRingle ZU-ZU pedals.

What else does the bike need to make it rideable?

This stuff should fit fine, road components on a road bike no problem.

Antedev said:
So i decided to build my own bike as a fun project to see what can a build for the least amount of money using used parts, so far i only got the frameset which is a bianchi vigorelli 2005 i got that for About 120usd. Dont know if thats a good price for it but it came with shimano ultegra breaks on it and a front derailleur. Now i have noidea where to go from here :(...

Should i buy a whole used shimano ultegra set perhaps?? Newer models??
How do i know what will fit on my bike?
Any advice help would be appreciated.
IMO, that was an excellent price for the used Bianchi Vigorelli frameset + Ultegra brake calipers + front derailleur which you bought ...

You will still need a Crankset + BB, chain, wheels/tires, Cassette, rear derailleur, shifters, cables & housing, seat post, saddle, seatpost clamp, stem, spacers, handlebars, handlebar tape ... and possibly, a headset ... and as Froze mentioned, the pedals of your choice ...

Plus, some bicycle specific tools (e.g., BB wrench) + some generic Metric tools ...

Your budget + your aesthetic sensibilities will probably have an impact on what you should-or-shouldn't buy.

I've built a few bikes, just finished building a hardtail 29er and I have another custom build in the works (mid 80s Schwinn with modern components though keeping the downtube shifters) and the thing that gets me every time I do this is how much all the little things add up. It's easy to pick out the crank, shifters, dérailleurs, brakes, saddle and bars, but then when you add in headsets, bottom brackets, clamps, collars, stems, cables, housings, chain, bar tape. Wheels, cassette, tires, tubes....lots to pick out.

It's worse on mountain bikes especially when you start out with a bare frame.

It's also all around more expensive but it's way more fun and rewarding, and I love having bikes where every part is something I picked out for one reason or another.

Hope you have fun with your project - PICTURES