Building A Road Bike! Need Advice

Antedev

Feb 21, 2015
Hi everyone,

So i decided to build my own bike as a fun project to see what can a build for the least amount of money using used parts, so far i only got the frameset which is a bianchi vigorelli 2005 i got that for About 120usd. Dont know if thats a good price for it but it came with shimano ultegra breaks on it and a front derailleur. Now i have noidea where to go from here :(...

Should i buy a whole used shimano ultegra set perhaps?? Newer models??
How do i know what will fit on my bike?
Any advice help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

A.

I recommend buying a whole set or "gruppo" (groupset). The bike just runs a lot smoother when all the parts are a perfect fit and match. There are groupset for all price ranges from Shimano... From the premium DuraAce and Ultegra, to the affordable Tiagra groupsets; SRAM also has a great selection of goupsets.

Most people who start a project like this have some experience, like maintaining their own bikes for a few years. That way they grow a sense of what distinguishes different products, a sense of what works with what, a collection of tools, and maybe even a box of spare parts.

You seem to be starting from scratch, so the best advice I can give is to latch on to some people in your area who know their way around a bike and enlist their help. Is there a bike maintenance co-op in your neighborhood. Is there a cycling club you can join?

I find this curious. When I started cycling, we formed groups--touring clubs, racing clubs, and there was a local repair collective. We helped one another face to face. Nowadays we're trying to do it all on the web.

hi
very thanks for y/reply.
we are checking to latch on the some people not in our Italian aera but in other aera:
can you help and give us some name of bicycles factories we can contact and offer our special items for
bycicle frame

Antedev said:
So i decided to build my own bike as a fun project to see what can a build for the least amount of money using used parts, so far i only got the frameset which is a bianchi vigorelli 2005 i got that for About 120usd. Dont know if thats a good price for it but it came with shimano ultegra breaks on it and a front derailleur. Now i have noidea where to go from here :(...

Should i buy a whole used shimano ultegra set perhaps?? Newer models??
How do i know what will fit on my bike?
Any advice help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
What parts do you already have (e.g., from another, "donor" bike OR otherwise)?
  1. wheels?
  2. saddle?
  3. seat post
  4. handlebars?
  5. stem?
  6. et cetera
FYI. Your Bianchi probably has an English threaded Bottom Bracket shell.

What is your budget?

How handy are you?

alfeng said:
What parts do you already have (e.g., from another, "donor" bike OR otherwise)?

• wheels?
  • saddle?
  • seat post
  • handlebars?
  • stem?
  • et cetera
FYI. Your Bianchi probably has an English threaded Bottom Bracket shell.

What is your budget?

How handy are you?
It has deda handlebar, shimano ultegra 6600 breaks, and dura ace 7700 front derr. Ive been looking at complete groupsets online.

Antedev said:
It has deda handlebar, shimano ultegra 6600 breaks, and dura ace 7700 front derr. Ive been looking at complete groupsets online.
FWIW. You do NOT need a complete groupset ...

Depending on your budget, I think that you just need:

• handlebar tape ($6-to$20+)
  • wheels ($50-to-$1000+)
  • rear derailleur ($25-to-$300+)
  • chain ($15-to-$50+)
  • cassette ($25-to-$300+)
  • crankset & BB ($50-to-$500+)
  • shifters ($100-to-$600+)
If you opt for a set of SRAM shifters, then you will need to replace the front derailleur + buy an appropriate SRAM rear derailleur + appropriate chain.

If you opt for a set of Shimano shifters, then you may-or-may-not need to buy a different front derailleur + a Shimano rear derailleur + appropriate chain.

If you opt for 10-speed Campagnolo shifters, then you will have more flexibility because won't need a new front derailleur & you can use almost any Shimano 9-speed chain AND you can subsequently set up an 8-speed Shimano/-compatible, 9-speed Shimano/-compatible, 10-speed Shimano/-compatible, 10-speed Campagnolo drivetrain. Shimano rear derailleurs are generally less expensive than theoretically comparable Campagnolo rear derailleurs ...

Using the Hubbub.com alternate rear cable connection @ 9 o'clock allows an 8-/9-/10-speed Shimano rear derailleur to simulate a Campagnolo rear deerailleur ...

By my reckoning, based on Shimano's prior backward rear derailleur compatibility, a post-1998 Campagnolo rear derailleur has the same "pull" as an 11-speed Shimano rear derailleur ...

If you opt for 11-speed Campagnolo shifters, then by my reckoning you can set up a 9-speed Shimano/-compatible, 10-speed & 11-speed Shimano/-compatible, 10-speed Campagnolo or 11-speed Campagnolo drivetrain.

Campagnolo's Cassettes do NOT fit on Shimano/-compatible wheels ...

Shimano's 11-speed hubs are different from the earlier, ubiquitous 9-/10-speed Shimano/-compatible hubs ...

Campagnolo consumables are generally more expensive than Shimano/SRAM consumables.

BTW. Regardless of the shifters you opt for, I recommend you strongly consider Shimano Hollowtech II BB cups + either a Shimano Hollowtech II crankset OR a compatible FSA MegaExo crankset.