building a sidecar

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kak61, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Kak61

    Kak61 Guest

    I'm thinking of attaching a sidecar to an old mountain bike. Does anyone have detailed technical
    plans or links to such a project? I'd like it so that the sidecar passenger may also pedal.

    Is it possible to for the third wheel be joined to some sort of a drivetrain? This will mean
    two separate drivetrains - one driving the regular rear wheel while the passenger cranks the
    sidecar wheel.

    Thank you.

    Tags:

  2. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "kak61" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm thinking of attaching a sidecar to an old mountain bike. Does anyone have detailed technical
    > plans or links to such a project? I'd like it so that the sidecar passenger may also pedal.
    >
    > Is it possible to for the third wheel be joined to some sort of a drivetrain? This will mean
    > two separate drivetrains - one driving the regular rear wheel while the passenger cranks the
    > sidecar wheel.
    >
    > Thank you.

    http://www.ihpva.org/com/Sidekids/

    Pete

  3. R15757

    R15757 Guest

    "kak61" wrote:

    <snip>

    << Is it possible to for the third wheel be joined to some sort of a drivetrain? This will mean
    two separate drivetrains - one driving the regular rear wheel while the passenger cranks the
    sidecar wheel.

    Thank you. >>

    I don't think this can work, at least not well. If the third wheel is driven with unequal force
    respective to the main drive wheel the machine will always want to turn vigorously.

    Robert

  4. R15757 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"kak61" wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    ><< Is it possible to for the third wheel be joined to some sort of a drivetrain? This will mean
    >two separate drivetrains - one driving the regular rear wheel while the passenger cranks the
    >sidecar wheel.
    >
    >Thank you. >>
    >
    >I don't think this can work, at least not well. If the third wheel is driven with unequal force
    >respective to the main drive wheel the machine will always want to turn vigorously.

    Wouldn't a sidecar with no drivetrain have a larger speed differential than one with a drivetrain?

    http://images.google.com/images?q=bicycle+sidecar

    Has a couple images of sidecars for bicycles, but it doesn't look like any of them have power.

    But here's a side-by-side tandem that seems to have seperate axles and drivetrains.

    http://www.hostelshoppe.com/images/rally/rally4.jpg

    --
    Steven O'Neill [email protected] www.bridgetolls.org

  5. Menotomy

    Menotomy Guest

    Look at some BMX sites. There were a lot of "side hack" races in the 1980s (maybe they still have
    'em) where they raced BMX bicycles with sidecars. I doubt the third wheel is a drive wheel. That
    would require some type of differential.

    Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles, Inc. http://OldRoads.com

  6. On 06 Feb 2004 01:51:52 GMT, [email protected] (R15757) wrote:

    >I don't think this can work, at least not well. If the third wheel is driven with unequal force
    >respective to the main drive wheel the machine will always want to turn vigorously.

    Obviously nobody bothered to tell the thousands of 'padyak ' or 'tri-sikad' users in the
    Philippines:

    http://www.bwf.org/bk/tagalog/2001/14/b_03.html

    http://cebuwebsite.tripod.com/trisikad.html

    These chaps manage to make a living with a third, undriven wheel on their bicycle, carrying
    sometimes ridiculous loads.

    don't dismiss it in theory when thousands use it in practice.

    -Luigi

    www.livejournal.com/users/ouij photos, rants, raves

  7. Mike Euritt

    Mike Euritt Guest

    At Interbike this year, I saw that someone was making a sidecar. I got their literature. If I can
    find it I will post info next week. It attached easily and quickly. I didn't get the chance to ride
    with it attached, but it has a certain appeal...

  8. On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:41:39 GMT, Mike Euritt
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >At Interbike this year, I saw that someone was making a sidecar. I got their literature. If I can
    >find it I will post info next week. It attached easily and quickly. I didn't get the chance to ride
    >with it attached, but it has a certain appeal...

    Hell I'd like a fully pimped-out Manila-style padyak.

    -Luigi www.livejournal.com/users/ouij photos, rants, raves